Mergers

roughyed34

How do we feel about this comment from some account on Twitter.....

"My rationale is Rochdale and Oldham are struggling for supporters as separate entities and a joint venture between them and the people behind Manchester Rangers could create a club for all of East Manchester and a proper derby with the soon to be Manchester Lions in the west."

Would Oldham/Hornets fans support such a venture? My answer is no,no and no. I'd rather we "died" as a club and let the know it alls have there way. Proud clubs,proud fans but is this the way the game is heading? Tradition sold out to a manufactured competition, a proper Derby indeed... has this eejit not heard of the Law Cup! 

Personally i love the A627 (M) El Classico, it's what RL is about imho, our Derby granted doesn't make a season (even if we are in the same league) but we sure are happy when we win!

I can't imagine many Oldham/Hornets fans supporting a Manchester side, my badge is my heritage and my passion,take that off me and I'm lost to the game after 40 odd years but according to the Twitter reply from the clown above I wouldn't be missed.

We may be few,we may be a shadow of our former self but I will always be a Yed or nothing.

They don't get it do they, the faithful 500 or so love our club to the end, that's what I love about our fans, we moan and yet still turn up, not because of a chairman/players etc but because we love the club and the famous name of ORLFC.

Sorry for the rant folks! 

See you all Sunday!

Up the Yeds!

Would United and city merge Liverpool and Everton. 

How about FC and KR 

Nope they wouldn't. If they want Oldham to die then they'll die, this time there won't be any phoenix club. 

Would I still watch rugby, don't know I think that my love of the game would die as well 

Too much history for both clubs to just toss in the bin and start a merged club.

Sadly I think we are nearing the end but would rather die than carry on as a 'Manchester' club. Only watched a handful of SL games this year after they threw the Championship/League One clubs on the scrap heap so probably would only go to the CC final and watch St Annes if ORLFC was to go.

This is the way SL and the RFL want to go but I wonder in 20yrs time when Toronto, New York et al have all gone after a loss of interest and the game is left with around 15 clubs and hardly any TV coverage will  people say ' what were we thinking letting all these traditional clubs die'?

Or will the SL and RFL fatcats who have made money on franchises not really care from their homes in Monaco etc?

Unless the merged team was called Oldham, played in a Red, White and Blue kit and was based in the OL area then I, like most us, would rather cut off parts of my anatomy with a rusty blade. I can't understand why the powers that be continually try to expand the game when they never get it right in the heartlands. 

Since Sky, SL have never really had any interest in the CH1 and League 1 clubs and will happily set us adrift and,when that happens I think a lot of clubs will fold.  If that happens I will probably concentrate on watching my grandsons play at Mayfield and get a few Saddy Rangers games in.

We have the best spectator sport in the World but the media are not interested, probably due to the fact that most outlets are run by Graduates who have been reared on Union. What the RL don't understand is that without the lower league teams fewer and fewer players will start playing the game and therefore less players will come through.  This is what happened years ago in America with their Football and they had to completely re-think what they were doing.

I can't change what plans the RL have and I'm sure they will differ tremendously from mine so I have to fall back on the old saying of ...."the one thing you can guarantee is that it will either rain or go dark before morning".

That's my meandering thoughts and comments over!! 

Enjoy Sunday everyone

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

As I've said before,if there was no Oldham rugby,then I'd be supporting an amateur club. I wouldn't tolerate a merger with any club nor would I follow a Manchester start up club. I think that most Rochdale,Swinton etc fans would feel the same. My amateur club I do follow is Saddleworth ranger's.

• 2 weeks later...

I sadly believe Hornets and Oldham are frankly doomed.  Hornets have a new board and pound to a penny they take the football club on, and this time they will be gone as soon as they break that lease.

Merge, no not for Oldham and Hornets that is unthinkable.  Should all this history be allowed to die?  Most of it did when the stadiums went.  Besides the diehards of a certain vintage who wants to pay 14 pounds to stand on Whitebank and watch West Wales. The central funding is going and the RFL and Rimmer will be a governance body at best.  The Amateur game is the way forward and in Rochdale and Oldham is run in a superior way.

A merger would be a disaster, and doomed to failure. Neither club would support it.
A jointly owned and developed  groundshare might be a possible way out for both teams, unpalatable as it is.A huge amount of work though. And only a few locations would work.

Archived