SQUAD 2020

marklaspalmas

Perhaps it might have been the case that we approached the RFL with our plans and were told we would not be accepted, so decided not to pursue it? 

that may well be the case but what I can't accept is the lack of any information from the club especially how we made a song and dance of having reserves last year

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Yeah I think it’s safe to say the PNG experiment hasn’t worked for us this year 

True. I'd happily resign any of our other overseas signings though. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 28/06/2019 at 01:28, marklaspalmas said:

FIRST TEAM CONTRACTED PLAYERS        

1 Dane Chisholm* 2020 / 2021 / 2022

2 James Lockwood 2020 / 2021

3 Josh Hardcastle 2020 / 2021

4 Brad Day 2020 / 2021

5 John Davies 2020 / 2021

6 James Harrison 2020 / 2021                                

7 Jack Bussey 2020 / 2021     

8 Luke Cooper 2020 / 2021    

9 Jack Render 2020

10 Dakota Whylie 2020

11 Scott Wheeldon 2019

12 Josh Walters 2019

13 Jack Ormondroyd 2019

14 Cameron King* 2019

15 Makahesi Makatoa* 2019

16 Conor Carey* 2019

17 Connor Jones* 2019

18 Jack Johnson 2019

19 Jake Speeding  2019

* Overseas players

RESERVES

Danny Maskill (10 games)

Jorge Richardson (2 games)

Jimmy McDaniel (2 games)

Jimmy Beckett (2 games) Out on loan 

Morgan Punchard (1 game)

Spencer Darley (0 games) Out on loan

Kiedan Hartley (0 games) Out on loan 

+ 4 players left (Delaney + 3 PNG)

+ 10 players DR (inc Holding, Briscoe, Sutcliffe, McLelland)

+ 7 players loan (Albert + 6 left)

= 47 players in 2019, 42 used.

Updated with recent changes

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Updated with recent changes

Mark, not sure all those you've marked as overseas players actually are. The RFL published a list of clubs' current overseas players at the beginning of July https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55284/transfers--overseas-and-nft-players and Chisholm and Carey aren't listed - not sure about Jones' status as list was probably published too early to include him. I think Chisholm may have a Maltese passport but he qualifies for France through the grandparents rule (and may also have been included in an England Knights squad?) and Carey is reported as holding a UK passport. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Mark, not sure all those you've marked as overseas players actually are. The RFL published a list of clubs' current overseas players at the beginning of July https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55284/transfers--overseas-and-nft-players and Chisholm and Carey aren't listed - not sure about Jones' status as list was probably published too early to include him. I think Chisholm may have a Maltese passport but he qualifies for France through the grandparents rule (and may also have been included in an England Knights squad?) and Carey is reported as holding a UK passport. 

Ah yes. Chisholm and Carey (Ireland) have EU passports. I was using the word overseas in the traditional sense of the word.....

More light should be shed on next year's squad in the next few weeks, the deadline for clubs to decide whether or not a contract will be offered for next season is 31st August and the player then has to notify the club if the offer has been accepted or not by the end of September.

Looking at Mark's list of players out of contract at the end of the year...

Wheeldon - probably not been as good for us this year as last, perhaps because of injuries, and given he's 34 in February I'd be a bit surprised if we offered him another contract (wonder if he'll retire).

Walters - has played very well but linked with London in press rumours. One I'd like to see stay, he has played really well since signing full time for us, though if he does go JD might revert to right edge which I think suits him better than middle.

Ormondroyd - linked with Salford in press rumours, again no idea if they are true. Not had much playing time lately (though went ok for me) and doesn't seem to get big minutes when he does play.

King - reportedly looking to get back in the NRL. Totally understandable if that's the case...rumours linking him to SL clubs seem to have gone quiet. Great if we could get him back for another year but seems doubtful.

Makatoa - has gone ok, does seem to struggle stamina-wise a bit at times. No strong feelings either way for me, happy if we retain him, not distraught if we don't.

Carey - not quite kicked on as I thought he would but has been solid and his versatility is handy. As with Makatoa, happy enough if we keep him, not a disaster if we don't. Think both he and Makatoa were signed after Carr had joined us and both have been regularly selected so he might want to keep both.

Jones - has impressed in limited opportunities. Hope we sign him for next year, either as a replacement for King or 2nd hooker.

Johnson - hard to say, hasn't had too many opportunities in the games he has played so far. Not been blown away but he's been solid enough. I suppose we are now preparing for life post-Briscoe given the extent of his brother's injury so will need more help at wing.

Spedding - obviously not seen him yet. Barrow fans were pretty scathing about him this year (as was his coach!) but he had previously looked good for Sheffield.

Maskill - dont think he has done much wrong when he has played but Carr doesn't seem to fancy him and obviously Jones has taken away any immediate chance of a 1st-team spot.

One thing I do think we need is at least one middle who can play big minutes. Lockwood is an absolute workhorse who never seems to look tired but we have one or two amongst our current middles who, although good players, aren't the type to be able to play big minutes without looking tired. I hope that the rumours about us being in for Alec Susino from Barrow are true as he can play big minutes as well as being a good player at this level.

All the above just speculation obviously as without knowledge of salaries it's difficult to judge whether players are value for money or not. Think we did a good job of tying down the key players earlier in the year by extending contracts - Chisholm, Day, Lockwood, Harrison, Bussey etc. Definitely got the makings of a solid team already for next year with hopefully a bit of tinkering.

In reply to above.Wheeldon=let go due to age and injuries.Walters =would like to keep for another year as i think another year in Championship would benefit his game.I fear we will not be able to keep him.Ormondroyd=Would keep he has done ok for us this season when called upon and i don't think he is quite up to S.L. standard.King= will be off, when fit he helped turn us round and did a proper number 9's job.Makatoa=would like to keep well worth his place in squad.Carey=not bothered either way seen nowt special.Jones =would like to keep and see what he can do with a full pre season under Carr,will need him if as likely King goes.Johnson=let go not seen anything that suggests he is a stand out in Championship as Briscoe was.Spedding=don't know much about him but Carr ma be able to get something extra out of him.Maskill=would keep as squad player.Locky one of my favourites over the years a real workhorse.But when he attacks the defence lacks power and coun't burst a wet paper bag.Also his attempts at passing make me smile.However he deserves to play until a younger better player takes his place.

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wheeldon - probably not been as good for us this year as last, perhaps because of injuries, and given he's 34 in February I'd be a bit surprised if we offered him another contract (wonder if he'll retire).

'scott been unlucky this year with niggly injuries  and sometimes played when not fully fit which hasn't helped his cause  and yes he's 34 in feb but don't forget locky's  34 twenty seven  days later so don't think the club looks at birth certificates when it comes to contracts

6 minutes ago, POR said:

'scott been unlucky this year with niggly injuries  and sometimes played when not fully fit which hasn't helped his cause  and yes he's 34 in feb but don't forget locky's  34 twenty seven  days later so don't think the club looks at birth certificates when it comes to contracts

Fair point. Just think on what we have seen from him this year he doesn't look an obvious candidate to stay with us next year, because you have to factor in his history with injuries. Not sure comparing him with Lockwood works, Lockwood seems indestructible, in all the time he has been with us the only significant playing time he has missed IIRC was for his ban.

1 hour ago, ernieone said:

Why is there no mention of your signing of Louis Joufrett from Batley

If you mean in Mark's list on page 1, because it hasn't been announced yet. But I did mention the story in League Express about Jouffret earlier in this thread.

Most signings don't tend to be announced until after the 31st August deadline mentioned above, and sometimes (though by no means always) not until the season has finished for the player's previous club. You will note that none of the other players linked with us in the media have been included in the list on page 1 yet, and you can be sure that Mark won't update it until confirmed by the club.

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Isn't he yet another half back? I can see no evidence anywhere of us signing him. Have I missed an announcement?

colin it was gossip in the papers a couple of weeks back along side two others were supposed to be signing

Both League Express and League Weekly this evening chipping in with the story about Connor Jones going to Salford, so looks like there is some mileage in that.

League Express again suggest we are closing in on Alec Susino (I really hope this happens), and LE also suggests that Jack Bussey is making much better progress than expected and even had an outside chance of featuring again this season (presumably if we went fairly deep into the playoffs).

Archived