SQUAD 2020

marklaspalmas

More questions than answers with the news that five resrves have joined our first team squad.

I think it means five our of reserves have joined Leeds reserves.

And it begs the question, what's happened to Jorge Richardson, Jimmy McDaniel, Jimmy Beckett, Morgan Punchard, Spencer Darley and Kiedan Hartley?

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

More questions than answers with the news that five resrves have joined our first team squad.

I think it means five our of reserves have joined Leeds reserves.

And it begs the question, what's happened to Jorge Richardson, Jimmy McDaniel, Jimmy Beckett, Morgan Punchard, Spencer Darley and Kiedan Hartley?

I would hazard a guess that they will all fall into the same boat as the five new signings and will either play for FEV rhinos or go  back out on loan  when not needed

17 minutes ago, POR said:

I would hazard a guess that they will all fall into the same boat as the five new signings and will either play for FEV rhinos or go  back out on loan  when not needed

So, why not say that? I think some of those players Ive named might be leaving to get first team rugby elsewhere in the Championship/League 1.

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

So, why not say that? I think some of those players Ive named might be leaving to get first team rugby elsewhere in the Championship/League 1.

when have FEV ever said what they mean

I thought by now we would have heard where the players who are not signed up for next season are going. The Club has been very slow in letting us be updated all last season. I can understand as with sensitive issues like Carr but I get more sense and up to date information from this forum and long may it continue.

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I thought by now we would have heard where the players who are not signed up for next season are going. The Club has been very slow in letting us be updated all last season. I can understand as with sensitive issues like Carr but I get more sense and up to date information from this forum and long may it continue.

They're still under contract until the end of November. It's their decision, not the club's, when an announcement, or not, is made.

There's an interesting article on Fev/Mark Campbell in this months' Rugby League World magazine. Quite a few interesting snippets, one of which is confirmation that we have an agreement with Leeds that will see "the likes of Alex Sutcliffe" continue to play for us rather than Leeds reserves, with our fringe players filling gaps in their reserves. Think I might have read that somwhere before in forum-land...

Of course both Sutcliffe and McLelland will be fighting for a spot in the Leeds 1st team so might not be available, but they played so well for us this year it would be great if they are available next year.

MC also says the club is now self-sustainable and doesn't have too rely on him financially any more.

The announcement about Craig Hall becoming a registered Fev player (see other thread) had an interesting line in it from Steve Gill " Not only does it give him an extra year here at the Rovers, but also it frees that loan spot up for us further down the line if we require it.” 

Another hint that we are likely to see a similar set-up to the very successful 2019 recipe, a strong base of Fev players but a good sprinkling of DR/loans too. Signing Walters and Ormondroyd up as our players last year had a beneficial effect when we wanted to play the maximum permitted 4 DR or 5DR/loanees.

5 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

We are close to signing Brett Ferres apparently 

Is it because he is 33 and Leeds want shut? His record is good in my opinion and let's hope if the rumour is true he has got some top playing time left in him.

8 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Is it because he is 33 and Leeds want shut? His record is good in my opinion and let's hope if the rumour is true he has got some top playing time left in him.

Leeds already got shut - his contract wasnt renewed

His record amongst the players wives is good yes

Why is the statement of the Club saying “we are not getting SL players anymore due to them being expensive and not coming up to scratch so we are getting the best up and coming Championship players from now on “seem to not ring true as we have got Craig Hall and linked to Brett ?  .

1 hour ago, Blue Pike said:

Why is the statement of the Club saying “we are not getting SL players anymore due to them being expensive and not coming up to scratch so we are getting the best up and coming Championship players from now on “seem to not ring true as we have got Craig Hall and linked to Brett ?  .

I don't think the Club ever said that they wouldn't sign any more players from SL clubs, but that they were tending to move away from doing it. Big difference.

I think when possible good signings appear you have to act quickly in the best interests of our Club before another Club steps in and I understand that. On Ferres I think he is Hock X 4 on discipline but at the end of the day if we do sign him he will obviously will be told tow the line on the discipline front or you won’t be selected.

6 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Craig Hall yes he can play in multiple positions and reads the game very well he will be a great addition to our team.Bret Ferres as they said in Up and Under i 'd rather eat my own sh-t than play them.Well i think the same about Ferres putting on a Fev shirt.

6 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Craig Hall yes he can play in multiple positions and reads the game very well he will be a great addition to our team.Bret Ferres as they said in Up and Under i 'd rather eat my own sh-t than play them.Well i think the same about Ferres putting on a Fev shirt.

A bit harsh. 

I'm a bit mixed about this rumour.  In recent seasons a priority seems to have been to sign an experienced  SL forward who can beef up the pack a bit.  Wheeldon, Moore, Griffin, Hock, Delaney, Carvell etc etc  but I don't know if any of them (apart from maybe a month from Hock) have been a real success.

Yes our squad would look stronger with Ferres in it but if last year (particularly the run-in) proved anything we can do quite nicely without any star names in the pack.

No disrespect to Ferres but I suspect that Brad Day is worth ten of any potential ageing SL forward ready for a drop down into the Championship.  Lets just hope that, if the rumour is true, its not due to Day being out for the season.

58 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

A bit harsh. 

I'm a bit mixed about this rumour.  In recent seasons a priority seems to have been to sign an experienced  SL forward who can beef up the pack a bit.  Wheeldon, Moore, Griffin, Hock, Delaney, Carvell etc etc  but I don't know if any of them (apart from maybe a month from Hock) have been a real success.

Yes our squad would look stronger with Ferres in it but if last year (particularly the run-in) proved anything we can do quite nicely without any star names in the pack.

No disrespect to Ferres but I suspect that Brad Day is worth ten of any potential ageing SL forward ready for a drop down into the Championship.  Lets just hope that, if the rumour is true, its not due to Day being out for the season.

With Brads injury 9 months out would be a good result it is often more.

10 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

With Brads injury 9 months out would be a good result it is often more.

Yeah when I saw the story thought he would be good cover for Day. Does come with some baggage and I can understand some people’s reservations but may prove a good test of the new coach’s man management skills 

Archived