SQUAD 2020

marklaspalmas

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:12, Steve Slater said:

One question that has not been answered is where was Briscoe after Rhinos' season had finished and Rovers were involved in the play-offs?

If he was injured, no problem, If Ryan Carr decided to stick with the backs who'd done a good job at the end of the season, that's fine, but if he wasn't available for the play-offs because he'd gone away on holiday as one or two had suggested then that's a different issue! Can anyone clarify why he didn't play for Fev in the play-offs?

With the squad already assembled Rovers must be aiming for the play-offs again, but if they are to go one better next year they need everyone to be committed right through to the MPG. For that reason I hope some money is held back in reserve to cover any D/R regulars that are recalled and don't come back.

I'm totally with you on that. It matters because he is a genuine match winner at our level and we realistically don't have many of those in our squad.  Could he have scored in that 2nd half against Toronto and won it for us ? - we'll never know. But to make it worse the same thing happened at the end of the previous season when he didn't play against London - and that was another close defeat.

I know we shouldn't rely on DR players being available as such but in recent seasons I think its fair to say we have assembled squads assuming a certain proportion of additional DR players being available.  On that basis if the best DR player who has played the majority of the season for us is not released (when available) for our biggest game in decades - then its never going to work for us.  

Should the coach stick with a winning team ? For me not necessarily - theres no time for sentimentality with so much at stake and as a winger he's not going to change the way the team plays.

As for the holiday thing - well he would have to have been in 2 places at once - he was on the pitch after the York game !! 

Another factor that could come into play is Rhinos' chances of making the SL play-offs, and whether the rules would allow D/R players to feature in both competitions? If Rhinos were to hold on to them to cover their own squad it could weaken Fev's chances. The best approach might be to pick the strongest available side throughout the regular season but hold some cash in reserve to strengthen if needed prior to the deadline day.

12 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Another factor that could come into play is Rhinos' chances of making the SL play-offs, and whether the rules would allow D/R players to feature in both competitions? If Rhinos were to hold on to them to cover their own squad it could weaken Fev's chances. The best approach might be to pick the strongest available side throughout the regular season but hold some cash in reserve to strengthen if needed prior to the deadline day.

Provided it's a different competition and they've played enough games for the DR club  (4) they can (at least as the rules currently stand) play for both.

12 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Morgan Punchard signed for Dewsbury so another that can be crossed off the page 1 list Mark LP.

Updated. Not sure how we are going to go in 2020 but the mere fact that we have this list together plus coach in early November bodes well, given the chaos and late start of last year.

Our middles are looking strong. Lockwood, Susino, Ferguson, Bussey, Cooper, plus probably Davies, assuming Harrison is earmarked for the other edge back row slot with Ferres. You'd struggle to find a stronger set of middles than that in the Championship.

Probably the biggest question mark left is hooker. We have Parata, and there's no news on whether Maskill has re-signed. There are a few hookers whose destinations for 2020 have not yet been announced - from memory, Shaun Lunt still hasn't signed for anyone, nor James Cunningham or Keal Carlile (nor for that matter has Cameron King, though his partner is pregnant which might mean he'll stay in Australia), so there might still be a few pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place there, not necessarily involving us of course.

However, Leeds haven't signed a second hooker yet (linked with Kruise Leeming from Huddersfield), but if they do that might mean Corey Johnson becomes an option for us on DR. 

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Our middles are looking strong. Lockwood, Susino, Ferguson, Bussey, Cooper, plus probably Davies, assuming Harrison is earmarked for the other edge back row slot with Ferres. You'd struggle to find a stronger set of middles than that in the Championship.

Probably the biggest question mark left is hooker. We have Parata, and there's no news on whether Maskill has re-signed. There are a few hookers whose destinations for 2020 have not yet been announced - from memory, Shaun Lunt still hasn't signed for anyone, nor James Cunningham or Keal Carlile (nor for that matter has Cameron King, though his partner is pregnant which might mean he'll stay in Australia), so there might still be a few pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place there, not necessarily involving us of course.

However, Leeds haven't signed a second hooker yet (linked with Kruise Leeming from Huddersfield), but if they do that might mean Corey Johnson becomes an option for us on DR. 

I think Carlile signed a 2 year deal with Newcastle so will still be there in 2020.

33 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think Carlile signed a 2 year deal with Newcastle so will still be there in 2020.

Ah ok. He was being linked with Halifax for a while so I assumed he was only on a one-year deal at Newcastle...didn't think there was any chance of him returning to us anyway, just that there are one or two hookers' destinations still not sorted.

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Ah ok. He was being linked with Halifax for a while so I assumed he was only on a one-year deal at Newcastle.

I remember reading that it was 2 years but a quick Google doesn't bring up anything and I noticed he's not included in Newcastle's latest press release although those listed might be new signings, I haven't checked?

Edit: Newcastle Thunder FB post says 2 year deal.

1 minute ago, Feverly Hills 90210 said:

Maybe Joufrett for hooker and Chizzy and McClelland in the halves providing the latter is available again on D.R.

Others have mentioned this. Has Jouffret got the attributes for a big defensive stint at 9? I'm not sure....

McClelland on DR/Loan would be great

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Fergie is a second row who can cover prop so I would say it will be Locky loose with Ferres and Fergie back row the rest fighting for the prop forward spots . 

10 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Others have mentioned this. Has Jouffret got the attributes for a big defensive stint at 9? I'm not sure....

McClelland on DR/Loan would be great

I don't know either but he has played there for Batley, not sure that helps my case. Think of the havoc he would cause in a tired defense though.Glad i don't pick the team

16 minutes ago, Gareth hock said:

Fergie is a second row who can cover prop so I would say it will be Locky loose with Ferres and Fergie back row the rest fighting for the prop forward spots . 

Said this before on here many times but I don't think the old terms prop, 2nd row, loose forward really mean anything these days. You either play middle or you play edge back row, that seems to be the only distinction. Maybe you expect a bit more ball-handling at 1st receiver from the guy playing 13 but can't see much difference between them and the role of 8 & 10 otherwise.

Ferguson played in the middle when he was on loan for us this season so that's why I included him as one of the middles, though I don't doubt he could still play on the edge too. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Said this before on here many times but I don't think the old terms prop, 2nd row, loose forward really mean anything these days. You either play middle or you play edge back row, that seems to be the only distinction. Maybe you expect a bit more ball-handling at 1st receiver from the guy playing 13 but can't see much difference between them and the role of 8 & 10 otherwise.

Ferguson played in the middle when he was on loan for us this season so that's why I included him as one of the middles, though I don't doubt he could still play on the edge too. 

I think he got used as prop last season because he was getting back to fitness it’s easier to come on at prop for twenty minute spells rather than defending wider for the full 80 . I think he will be devastating running out wide just like Day .

1 minute ago, Gareth hock said:

I think he got used as prop last season because he was getting back to fitness it’s easier to come on at prop for twenty minute spells rather than defending wider for the full 80 . I think he will be devastating running out wide just like Day .

It will be interesting to see how he is used. Evem minus Day, we aren't short of options in that position, with Ferres presumably on one side and any one of Harrison (who played very well when switched back there in the play-offs), Davies or even Sutcliffe possible candidates for the other side, with Minns and Hardcastle at centre.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It will be interesting to see how he is used. Evem minus Day, we aren't short of options in that position, with Ferres presumably on one side and any one of Harrison (who played very well when switched back there in the play-offs), Davies or even Sutcliffe possible candidates for the other side, with Minns and Hardcastle at centre.

My personal opinion was that Harrison plays better as prop and I also think Hardy might play a few games at second row this season but like you say it will be interesting I think if we get another hooker in then we are stronger than last year .

1 hour ago, Gareth hock said:

My personal opinion was that Harrison plays better as prop and I also think Hardy might play a few games at second row this season but like you say it will be interesting I think if we get another hooker in then we are stronger than last year .

When Harrison switched to the middle, I thought that was his best position. Then when he switched back in the play-offs, I changed my mind again. What that seems to show is how well he played in both positions, along with Day he has been a very good signing and progressed as the year went on. We are lucky in that we have a lot of versatile players, which is important when you have a small squad.

Archived