SQUAD 2020

marklaspalmas

15 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

No info: Makahesi Makatoa, Danny Maskill, Kiedan Hartley, Jorge Richardson.

Maskill has confirmed on his twitter that he's not with us next season. Can't find the link at the minute though.

Maka has posted what sounds like a farewell on insta and is currently in Oz (

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good signing, I wish it could have been for longer, but lets hope MInns will be fit then. A bit worried we seem to be light in the Hooker department. Bur who knows Corey Johnson from Leeds could be a good stand in ???

14 minutes ago, haskey said:

This is a good signing, I wish it could have been for longer, but lets hope MInns will be fit then. A bit worried we seem to be light in the Hooker department. Bur who knows Corey Johnson from Leeds could be a good stand in ???

It will probably end up been longer it says 9 games initially then both teams may explore it been longer at a later date .

22 minutes ago, haskey said:

I think that's on the cards he's behind stanley and leutele who have both played over 100 NRL and wheeler who's played  SL and  the'ave  signed a young french lad Miloudi  who according to them is " Unstoppable when playing his natural game," and "  the stage is set for Miloudi to take the Super League by storm in the coming year." plus greg only played 5 times last year so don't think he will be on mcdermott's radar any time soon

On 04/12/2019 at 18:53, Robin Evans said:

I got a trouser tingle when he scored that!?

I thought Vausey was going to explode at the end!!??

I think that was the most nerve tingling last 5 mins since Wembley 83. Imho it easily trumped the Grand Final win 7 months earlier.  TBF that Cas side was at a low ebb and Fev were on the crest of a wave. I think the gap, unfortunately, all too soon was re-established. 

So, 27 named players.

For me, a first team squad of 18, four of whom (Day, Davies, Parata and Minns) will miss the start of the season. A loan signing (Worthington) to cover one of those.

3 more players (Beckett, Whylie and Sweeting) who may be given an opportunity at a first team spot.

5 more players (Ottowell, B Wright, N Wright, Richardson and French) who will be playing for leeds reserves?

So we will need 2 or 3 DRs from day 1, probably a hooker and a prop/second-rower.

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

So, 27 named players.

For me, a first team squad of 18, four of whom (Day, Davies, Parata and Minns) will miss the start of the season. A loan signing (Worthington) to cover one of those.

3 more players (Beckett, Whylie and Sweeting) who may be given an opportunity at a first team spot.

5 more players (Ottowell, B Wright, N Wright, Richardson and French) who will be playing for leeds reserves?

So we will need 2 or 3 DRs from day 1, probably a hooker and a prop/second-rower.

We really don't know what the future holds in terms of dual reg. Leeds have to decide whether championship is a better standard  for their players than SL reserve  grade in 2020. According to their squad shirt numbers you  would expect their fringe squad players to include  :- Sutcliffe, McClelland, Albert, C.Smith, C. Johnson. A fully fit 'Fev' thirteen might include:-

1) Hall

2) Blackmore

3) Minns (when fit)

4) Sutcliffe (DR)

5) Carey

6) Joufrett /McClelland (DR)

7) Chisholm

8)Albert (DR)

9)Parata

10) Susino (The next Brad Day)

11) Day

12) C. Smith (DR)

13) Lockwood

With players fighting for sub spots:- 

C.Johnson (DR)

Hardcastle

Davies

Ferres

Ferguson

Cooper

Bussey

Sweeting

Beckett

Render

Worthington (loan)

With London looking to rebuild, I expect Toulouse and Leigh to be our main competitors. Come on Fev. 

1 hour ago, chris g said:

We really don't know what the future holds in terms of dual reg. Leeds have to decide whether championship is a better standard  for their players than SL reserve  grade in 2020. According to their squad shirt numbers you  would expect their fringe squad players to include  :- Sutcliffe, McClelland, Albert, C.Smith, C. Johnson. A fully fit 'Fev' thirteen might include:-

1) Hall

2) Blackmore

3) Minns (when fit)

4) Sutcliffe (DR)

5) Carey

6) Joufrett /McClelland (DR)

7) Chisholm

8)Albert (DR)

9)Parata

10) Susino (The next Brad Day)

11) Day

12) C. Smith (DR)

13) Lockwood

C.Johnson (DR)

Hardcastle

Davies

Ferres

Ferguson

Cooper

Bussey

Sweeting

Beckett

Render

Worthington (loan)

With London looking to rebuild, I expect Toulouse and Leigh to be our main competitors. Come on Fev. 

Also there is Harrison as well in that reckoning. I also thought Brad Day was out injured with an ACL which will put him out until mid season.

1 hour ago, chris g said:

<snip>

Judging by the noises coming out of Huddersfield on their DR partnership with 'fax (a 3 year agreement which also includes Hunslet) they are looking to have their fringe players playing in the  Championship rather than the Reserves.

20 hours ago, chris g said:

C.Johnson (DR)

Hardcastle

Davies

Ferres

Ferguson

Cooper

Bussey

Sweeting

Beckett

Render

Worthington (loan)

don't think we'ave  signed ferguson ferres and worthington  to fight  for subs spots and think those three along with bussey will be some of the first names on team sheet 

22 hours ago, chris g said:

We really don't know what the future holds in terms of dual reg. Leeds have to decide whether championship is a better standard  for their players than SL reserve  grade in 2020.

I think we have a pretty good idea - everything that has come out from both clubs suggests it will be business as usual in terms of DR this season.

There was a quote from Webster in this week's League Express something along the lines of recruitment being on hold for now until we have a clearer view of which young Leeds players would be available on DR.

Additionally, Matthew Shaw on TotalRL has said that Bradford are understood to be in negotiation with Leeds to make three or four loan signings from amongst their youngsters.

Before anyone gets panicky about the above, I reckon the ones we are likely to be waiting on are probably the ones who did so well for us last season (Sutcliffe & McLennan), plus almost certainly Corey Johnson given our predicament at hooker. Maybe Luke Briscoe if Tom's fit and Wellington Albert too - maybe even Cam Smith and Oledzki if they don't feature in the Leeds 1st team though they would be close to making the 19.

The type of players you'd presume would be made available to Bradford would be their young forwards such as Tom Holroyd, Muizz Mustapha, and Tyler Dupree. Although those 3 are good (especially Holroyd) it's hard to see where they would get a game with us early in the season looking at our pack. It's worth pointing out that Bradford brought in a few Leeds players on loan back in 2017 when we were duel regging with Leeds at the same time.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think we have a pretty good idea - everything that has come out from both clubs suggests it will be business as usual in terms of DR this season.

There was a quote from Webster in this week's League Express something along the lines of recruitment being on hold for now until we have a clearer view of which young Leeds players would be available on DR.

Additionally, Matthew Shaw on TotalRL has said that Bradford are understood to be in negotiation with Leeds to make three or four loan signings from amongst their youngsters.

Before anyone gets panicky about the above, I reckon the ones we are likely to be waiting on are probably the ones who did so well for us last season (Sutcliffe & McLennan), plus almost certainly Corey Johnson given our predicament at hooker. Maybe Luke Briscoe if Tom's fit and Wellington Albert too - maybe even Cam Smith and Oledzki if they don't feature in the Leeds 1st team though they would be close to making the 19.

The type of players you'd presume would be made available to Bradford would be their young forwards such as Tom Holroyd, Muizz Mustapha, and Tyler Dupree. Although those 3 are good (especially Holroyd) it's hard to see where they would get a game with us early in the season looking at our pack. It's worth pointing out that Bradford brought in a few Leeds players on loan back in 2017 when we were duel regging with Leeds at the same time.

Re the possible Bradford/Leeds deal, the report I've seen also mentions that the players likely to be made available will be ones not on the 'Featherstone radar'.

37 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Re the possible Bradford/Leeds deal, the report I've seen also mentions that the players likely to be made available will be ones not on the 'Featherstone radar'.

Yep, same report. Holroyd, Mustapaha and Dupree, if I'm guessing in the right ball park, are all middles, and we have loads of them  - Susino, Ferguson, Cooper, Bussey, Lockwood, possibly Davies & Harrison, and maybe other more experienced players from Leeds such as Albert. We'd need a lot of injuries before we were looking at some of Leeds' younger middles.

On 11/12/2019 at 16:34, The Phantom Horseman said:

In the light of this, Leeds' squad for their Boxing Day game against Wakefield is interesting, as it's their only pre-season game against SL opposition (they play us, Bradford, Newcastle and Hunslet) so is probably quite a significant game for them in terms of turning out a strong team.

Perhaps the most interesting thing from our point of view is that as expected Gale and Lui are the starting halves, but Myler is on the bench whereas McLelland isn't involved at all. If he's currently number 4 in the half back pecking order, there must be a chance we are going to see him regularly playing for us.

On the other hand, Alex Sutcliffe is on the bench for Leeds...it's hard to tell whether this means he's a serious fringe candidate to play regularly for Leeds, as they are still missing both Briscoes due to injury. They definitely have less depth in the threequarters than any other position though.

As expected Kruise Leeming and Brad Dwyer are the two hookers with no place for Corey Johnson. Wellington Albert is another who doesn't feature although he will have returned to training later than the others.

Whilst agreeing with the logic of this, I'm going to come off the fence here and say there's an aspect of our recruitment I think we've got wrong.

Firstly, and obviously, I should say that of course we're in a much better position than we were last year, and the squad looks promising.

But....

DR will obviously play a part again and that's unpredictable. Having said that, slotting, for example, a winger or a back-rower into our squad is much easier than a half-back or hooker. If you look at our 3/4ers, we're quite well covered, as is the grunt upfront. Always room for one or two more quality additions of course, but well covered.

We have one stand-off (new and for us untried) , one scrum-half and one hooker (injured at the moment). These are key positions.

So, we seem short in the key positions. Unless, that is,  we've have the nod that McLelland and Johnson (who looks good, although they are still both only kids ) will be largely available to us, and we trust that no Leeds half-backs take a knock.

I'd've thought we'd have been better buying our own hooker, third half-back, etc rather than waiting on DR.

30 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Whilst agreeing with the logic of this, I'm going to come off the fence here and say there's an aspect of our recruitment I think we've got wrong.

Firstly, and obviously, I should say that of course we're in a much better position than we were last year, and the squad looks promising.

But....

DR will obviously play a part again and that's unpredictable. Having said that, slotting, for example, a winger or a back-rower into our squad is much easier than a half-back or hooker. If you look at our 3/4ers, we're quite well covered, as is the grunt upfront. Always room for one or two more quality additions of course, but well covered.

We have one stand-off (new and for us untried) , one scrum-half and one hooker (injured at the moment). These are key positions.

So, we seem short in the key positions. Unless, that is,  we've have the nod that McLelland and Johnson (who looks good, although they are still both only kids ) will be largely available to us, and we trust that no Leeds half-backs take a knock.

I'd've thought we'd have been better buying our own hooker, third half-back, etc rather than waiting on DR.

Fair points MLP but I reckon the club's thinking is probably that, if we end up lacking at half back or hooker, we're better off getting someone of the quality required through the loan market than through signing a journeyman type just to have the depth required.

Last year when the Boas brothers struggled we signed Chisholm, Reynolds and Holmes on loan (the former ultimately on a permanent deal). I don't know if we made a move for Lunt, but I guess the plan is to see how we go with Parata (who had his op last week) and maybe Johnson, but it wouldn't surprise me if we have some contingency plan at hooker if that doesn't pan out, it's certainly the position wiht the most question marks at the moment.

Archived