TV viewing figures

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

In 2000 we got 16k for Eng v NZ semi at Bolton. We got 67k at Wembley 13yrs later.

We have demonstrated we can put on bigger events, and we have seen that there are large markets for international sporting events in the UK.

That said, I agree with your premise that we need to be careful, but we also shouldn't be held back by RL thinking.

Walkovers are not a massive issue to people if you are putting on a genuine quality entertainment event.

England should take care of itself. The Kangaroos should be our own All Blacks and tickets should be at a premium if done right. The nations with their war dances are loved and these should be played on. Jamaica have a romantic story, and so on - we should really be focusing on the stuff that isnt the result - that is what people get caught up in. The stories, the people, the histories, the culture. 

That is where RL has failed time and again.

Well said.

I think they have actually failed more times than that!

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

We should do what works for us, which is having one or two Supergroups, as Rugby League fans want to see competitive games and we don’t attract non RL fans as other sports do.

But a World Cup is the opportunity to attract new spectators to the sport, and the armchair viewer doesn't mind watching England spanking somebody in the group stages.

Take England's 2018 soccer World Cup game against Panama for example. Nobody moaned that Panama were rubbish and that it was a waste of time - instead everyone revelled in England thumping 6 goals past them, and started getting carried away that we were going to win the tournament.

The problem in rugby league is that we do the Gerald Ratner shoot ourselves in the foot thing by telling people that our product is rubbish unless it's England v Aus/NZ/Tonga (delete as appropriate).

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's credible international opponents , simple as 

Disagree. I live in a non-RL area, and I had mates from work who went to Coventry to watch the 4 Nations double header a few years back. They thoroughly enjoyed England v Scotland, and got cold and gave up watching Aus v NZ. They were blissfully unaware that Scotland were supposed to be rubbish and made up of 'plastic' Scots - instead they just thoroughly enjoyed the occasion for what it was. They would never have gone to watch a game if it wasn't England playing.

As a kid growing up I distinctly remember eagerly awaiting Great Britain against Papua New Guinea on Grandstand in the early 90s. It didn't matter a toss that PNG got stuffed - I was just excited to be watching the national team playing on TV.

It's the international game that is going to grow the sport, and also stop it withering on the vine and becoming a regional oddity. The national team is the most likely thing to get armchair viewers engaged with the sport - that was what got me hooked. More internationals is the way to go, and England stuffing some weaker teams every so often is no bad thing! 

Re. "super groups...

Isn't the point here that the 2 weakest teams in this group could get there because they qualify by beating teams in earlier qualifying group stages. This does not prevent teams from wanting an incentive and being in qualifying groups.

An other issue is should we have have groups?  The current cricket WC is based on a round robin format followed by a play off. Is this not feasable?

Interestingly (and ironically) enough, some in union want to create a world "league" which would annoy many if it would degrade 6 nations and WC. I can imagine something like that would upset Origin if we tried that.

3 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

The CC Final should be the last match of the domestic season. Scrap the SL GF, have a league season, then the CC after it. 

Awful idea, the GF has slowly grown and is now the one night/event of the year a RL occasion rivals any sporting event in the UK.

I agree it would be great to show it on BBC1 on a prime time TV slot but for all the faults with SKY they are responsible for the GF so deserve to get the viewing figures and to show the event.

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Awful idea, the GF has slowly grown and is now the one night/event of the year a RL occasion rivals any sporting event in the UK.

I agree it would be great to show it on BBC1 on a prime time TV slot but for all the faults with SKY they are responsible for the GF so deserve to get the viewing figures and to show the event.

Lol, "deserve". And i would want the CC to be shared between Sky and  ITV in any case. 

3 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Funny. But i think they both should show the final, with Sky advertising that their transmission of the final will have fewer adverts than ITV's. 

Yep because that's how big buisness works - or Sky can pull the plug and ITV4 offer £50k a year for SL & the CC - be  careful what you wish for.

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep because that's how big buisness works - or Sky can pull the plug and ITV4 offer £50k a year for SL & the CC - be  careful what you wish for.

Must have some club matches on terrestrial TV. Most would be on Sky, but they should never have been allowed exclusivity. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

10 hours ago, Cowardly Fan said:

It's not guesswork at all. TV viewing figures will be accurate with 1% maximum. It's a common misconception that the population size (60m) should have a big impact on the required sample size. BARB is about 10k households from memory, which is a very large sample size, whether the population is 1m or 60m is largely irrelevant for accuracy of the statistics.

If you think the figures are accurate within a range of 1% then you are probably not aware that that is not along the lines of a usual poll. Unless the programme in question is extremely popular the ratings for a similar event very wildly. That indicates the figures are not reliable but can be used as a rough guide, they certainly are not accurate. People generally do not change their political allegiances on a daily basis but their TV viewing behaviour does. BARB exists for the purpose of marketing and Media company execs.

6 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Of course they do. Look at these massive attendances. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Rugby_World_Cup

Australia v England in front of less than 18,000 in Australia.

Not sure how the attendances in 1987 count for much when the last world cup in England had 2.4m people through the gates with an average attendance capacity of 95%. 

26 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Not sure how the attendances in 1987 count for much when the last world cup in England had 2.4m people through the gates with an average attendance capacity of 95%. 

They still used small capacity stadiums in 2015.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Rugby_World_Cup

They aren’t all 50,000+.

only 95%? Sir Kev claims they sell out every match regardless of who’s playing.

rldfsignature.jpg

45 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

They aren’t all 50,000+.

I'm fairly sure all the tickets were sold, I certainly remember people complaining about not being able to get their hands on tickets. I'm not sure why all the stadiums would be 50k? even football world cups use 30k capacity stadiums. It's good to use rugby specific stadiums too such as Sandy Park.

1 minute ago, Keith989 said:

I'm fairly sure all the tickets were sold, I certainly remember people complaining about not being able to get their hands on tickets. I'm not sure why all the stadiums would be 50k? even football world cups use 30k capacity stadiums. It's good to use rugby specific stadiums too such as Sandy Park.

This discussion began when Sir Kev was frightened of a few blow out scores in the RLWC Keith. He claimed all RUWC matches were sell outs no matter who played and what the score was. I have shown him differently. 

rldfsignature.jpg

3 hours ago, dhw said:

If you think the figures are accurate within a range of 1% then you are probably not aware that that is not along the lines of a usual poll. Unless the programme in question is extremely popular the ratings for a similar event very wildly. That indicates the figures are not reliable but can be used as a rough guide, they certainly are not accurate. People generally do not change their political allegiances on a daily basis but their TV viewing behaviour does. BARB exists for the purpose of marketing and Media company execs.

It's really popular. The discussion was about reliability of women's world cup viewing figures. 

13 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

This discussion began when Sir Kev was frightened of a few blow out scores in the RLWC Keith. He claimed all RUWC matches were sell outs no matter who played and what the score was. I have shown him differently. 

A few blow out scores are inevitable but like you said, we can't fear them, otherwise you could end up with only a few teams like the cricket world cup. If you look at union where Japan have gone from conceding over 100 points against NZ to beating South Africa in just a couple of world cup cycles, you can see teams can improve with that international exposure. 

35 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

A few blow out scores are inevitable but like you said, we can't fear them, otherwise you could end up with only a few teams like the cricket world cup. If you look at union where Japan have gone from conceding over 100 points against NZ to beating South Africa in just a couple of world cup cycles, you can see teams can improve with that international exposure. 

They also improve because the RU authorities give them enough money to run a fully professional set-up after qualifying so they can be competitive in the tournament.

Not something we currently have the resources to do.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

They aren’t all 50,000+.

95% of seats sold at their World Cup, I’d say that’s virtually selling out all their games.

Stop comparing our World Cup to the Union World Cup it’s pointless, we have to do what works for us, not try and blindly copy what they do.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

95% of seats sold at their World Cup, I’d say that’s virtually selling out all their games.

Stop comparing our World Cup to the Union World Cup it’s pointless, we have to do what works for us, not try and blindly copy what they do.

You’re the one who’s frightened of a few blow out scores. I merely pointed out that union have already gone through that pain. We aren’t copying them either. They have four groups of five.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You’re the one who’s frightened of a few blow out scores. I merely pointed out that union have already gone through that pain. We aren’t copying them either. They have four groups of five.

And I merely pointed out we had miss matches and blow out scores in the 2000 World Cup, it was a massive flop and the worst attended World Cup this century. But we’re ignoring what’s been successful for us and going back to that format.

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

And I merely pointed out we had miss matches and blow out scores in the 2000 World Cup, it was a massive flop and the worst attended World Cup this century. But we’re ignoring what’s been successful for us and going back to that format.

The format wasn't why the 2000 World Cup was a disaster though.

6 hours ago, cookey said:

The ICC claimed that 97% of tickets were sold prior to the start of the cricket world cup.It seems that some 20% just dont bother taking up their seats.

Unless you’re watching all 8 hours of a game, kind of hard to tell. People trickle in all throughout the day. From what Ive seen the games have been very well attended.

Archived