Getting adult newcomers playing league

13 hours ago, Damien said:

RU at lower levels is far less demanding than the equivalent in Rugby League. You can literally play it with little or no fitness and without even training for it and just playing on a match day. You cannot do that in Rugby League.

I guess that helps make my point... it is seen more as a social sporting club with the game as a bonus outside of the first grade... 

don't know about fitness, my son retired from playing RU but few months later asked to return to help out... within a few minutes he had to have major surgery.

He played both union (at a good standard) and league but enjoyed the more social aspects of RU, found it easier to join other clubs as he moved around the country with Uni and job.   Very welcoming environment - he didn't find that with league.  I also found that when watching/taking him around when he was younger - the RU clubs admin and other parents so much more welcoming and helpful.... that's why I think its more cultural - the RU game with its softer social side more ingrained through its amateur history.

Anyway that's just one experience and may or may not be typical.

4 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess that helps make my point... it is seen more as a social sporting club with the game as a bonus outside of the first grade... 

don't know about fitness, my son retired from playing RU but few months later asked to return to help out... within a few minutes he had to have major surgery.

He played both union (at a good standard) and league but enjoyed the more social aspects of RU, found it easier to join other clubs as he moved around the country with Uni and job.   Very welcoming environment - he didn't find that with league.  I also found that when watching/taking him around when he was younger - the RU clubs admin and other parents so much more welcoming and helpful.... that's why I think its more cultural - the RU game with its softer social side more ingrained through its amateur history.

Anyway that's just one experience and may or may not be typical.

Yeah I agree with the social aspect and you raise some other valid points around that too. Like I said previously the social aspect is one of the reasons RL players, even in heartland areas, go to play Union when they can no longer play Rugby League due to the physical and fitness demands.

It all fits in with the general feeling in RL the game comes first and it's about winning and in Union the social aspect and being there and the culture comes first. 

Both different approaches and I feel RL like Gridiron is a game you can't really just play rather you compete in. It's all out really. 

Archived