Tony Gigot Contract is up?

Wondering if someone can clear this up. 

RL World say the Mecurial Genius that is Gigot is out of contract. 

I'm pretty sure I read on the BBC site a while back he had a new deal, this may be as far back as when he returned from that unfortunate incident and ban. And the contract may have only been 2 seasons however I thought he was under contract for next year? 

Could anyone say what is the situation?

15 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Wondering if someone can clear this up. 

RL World say the Mecurial Genius that is Gigot is out of contract. 

I'm pretty sure I read on the BBC site a while back he had a new deal, this may be as far back as when he returned from that unfortunate incident and ban. And the contract may have only been 2 seasons however I thought he was under contract for next year? 

Could anyone say what is the situation?

Gigot is troublesome. Always plays the "I'm going to Union" card to get more money. 

3 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Gigot is troublesome. Always plays the "I'm going to Union" card to get more money. 

Is he underpaid? 

I mean compared to Mead and Tomkins and Bird how does he earn? 

If he's on 25-35% of Tomkins salary I can see why he wants more money tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Is he underpaid? 

I mean compared to Mead and Tomkins and Bird how does he earn? 

If he's on 25-35% of Tomkins salary I can see why he wants more money tbh. 

I think there Is always rumours that the French players get under paid compared to the overseas players. 

16 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I think there Is always rumours that the French players get under paid compared to the overseas players. 

Yes I have heard this one too and feel it probably doesn't help morale or team building. 

Gigot as the Lance Todd Trophy winner and a quality FB should be expecting at least 100k pa UK money minimum and probably more. 

On 29/06/2019 at 08:16, Hvy wg said:

I have absolutely no problem with this. Guasch has no problem using the lack of an alternative SL club in France to keep the majority of his French players on a pittance so I don't blame Gigot for using Union for leverage when he has no other option.

On 29/06/2019 at 11:50, Southerner80 said:

Yes I have heard this one too and feel it probably doesn't help morale or team building. 

Gigot as the Lance Todd Trophy winner and a quality FB should be expecting at least 100k pa UK money minimum and probably more. 

I assume he gets paid pro rata for the number of games he actually makes an effort in. Which has been a fairly small number this year when I have seen him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Gigot is a strange one. I see him have far more poor games than good ones, pretty much in keeping with Catalans rocks and diamonds form, but he obviously has talent. Its hard to pay big wages though to someone who often doesn't perform but how much of that is down to him and how much is Catalans its hard to know.

45 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

If it wasn't for the club sticking with him last year he would still be banned for drugs. Gigot is trying to bite the hand that fed him and Guasch is not one for forgiving.

You could argue he’s repaid the faith by helping them win the challenge cup final last year. 

At the end of the day, market forces will determine what he’s worth. 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

You could argue he’s repaid the faith by helping them win the challenge cup final last year. 

Probably what he thinks is true.

I don't mind if he goes and I wish him luck.

9 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I agree. Tbh Gigot is the most interesting player they have and won the Lance Todd for a reason. He does turn up in the big games. He was immense at Wembley along with Drinkwater who the Dragons should have tried harder to keep too.

Tony is a match winner and interviews very well too. Game needs characters. Would be sad to see him leave SL.

Something isn't right behind the scenes it seems. Hence he's out of the side and his performances haven't always been consistent at the best level .Yaha being dropped as well is interesting too as I get the vibe him And Gigot are buddies. 

Gigot and Tomkins maybe isn't gelling like he did with Drinkwater? Maybe the two of them don't work so well together so Tony is on the out as Tomkins is on a big contract. 

Tomkins played very well with Escare so maybe dovetails better with a speed merchant than a Kicking / Passing  FB?

Gigot would have options, he actually would suit Union more than most RL FBs as he has quite a boot on him and hence would fulfill the kicking role of a Union FB well and is good at running the ball back and making metres after contact.. Theres also a number of SL teams he would suit. He has options I would feel. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

IMO Gigot is an out and out Centre.  A few years ago, I never saw him bettered, but since he's in at FB, he looks fed up more than interested.  Wouldn't be too difficult getting someone in at FB to improve on his form this season.

Belmas, Maria, Langi, Margelet, Langi, Edwards (gone), Julien and Broughton are out of contract.  

1 hour ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree. Tbh Gigot is the most interesting player they have and won the Lance Todd for a reason. He does turn up in the big games. He was immense at Wembley along with Drinkwater who the Dragons should have tried harder to keep too.

Tony is a match winner and interviews very well too. Game needs characters. Would be sad to see him leave SL.

Something isn't right behind the scenes it seems. Hence he's out of the side and his performances haven't always been consistent at the best level .Yaha being dropped as well is interesting too as I get the vibe him And Gigot are buddies. 

Gigot and Tomkins maybe isn't gelling like he did with Drinkwater? Maybe the two of them don't work so well together so Tony is on the out as Tomkins is on a big contract. 

Tomkins played very well with Escare so maybe dovetails better with a speed merchant than a Kicking / Passing  FB?

Gigot would have options, he actually would suit Union more than most RL FBs as he has quite a boot on him and hence would fulfill the kicking role of a Union FB well and is good at running the ball back and making metres after contact.. Theres also a number of SL teams he would suit. He has options I would feel. 

IMO Gigot took the signing of Tomkins as a sign of disrespect. They don't work well together and the locker rooms are divided. McNamara values stability in a group ahead of everything else.

Drinkwater wanted way too much money and offering him what he wanted would have split the lockers too. 

19 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

IMO Gigot is an out and out Centre.  A few years ago, I never saw him bettered, but since he's in at FB, he looks fed up more than interested.  Wouldn't be too difficult getting someone in at FB to improve on his form this season.

Belmas, Maria, Langi, Margelet, Langi, Edwards (gone), Julien and Broughton are out of contract.  

Margalet signed for an Elite 2 team and Broughton is going back to England. 

As has been said, i think Gigot is a talent, but he's no superstar. Though he could be.. He's best used as a centre IMO.

I could see him going to a club like Wigan, as Escare did, and improving in a different environment.. But I'd be surprised if he ended up in the NRL.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, Hvy wg said:

Margalet signed for an Elite 2 team and Broughton is going back to England. 

True.  Just quoting the players who are out of contract.

I don't think your far off the mark with the Gigot-Tomkins thing either.  Mead was good enough at FB imo.

Langi, Julien and Belmas are worth a punt but losing Edwards, crazy as he can be, has restricted Catalans attacking options.

26 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

True.  Just quoting the players who are out of contract.

I don't think your far off the mark with the Gigot-Tomkins thing either.  Mead was good enough at FB imo.

Langi, Julien and Belmas are worth a punt but losing Edwards, crazy as he can be, has restricted Catalans attacking options.

Our biggest need right now is a pair of 6-7. 

Smith isn't good (and that's putting it gently) and Langi is one dimensional. 

Our attacking game is dreadful.

On a general note , too many Aus / British players seem to treat playing in Catalan as an extended holiday . Tierney is one of the few who's putting 100% in every game . More Catalan / French players , Bernie !

2 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

Our biggest need right now is a pair of 6-7. 

Smith isn't good (and that's putting it gently) and Langi is one dimensional. 

Our attacking game is dreadful.

Catalans have been playing very well and this last few games have dropped away.  They will come good and continue to grow in the Region ?

Archived