York Press - Peter Martini

AB Knight

Sad to hear Peter has been made redundant, alongside Dave Flett who covers York City.

Very disappointing, I'd be surprised if outside of SL there are any other clubs who've enjoyed as many weekly articles as the Knights (apart from Toronto). While some disliked him calling teams bogey sides he helped raise the profile of YCK, means our marketing team will have to work that little bit harder.

2 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Always sad when people lose their jobs, looks like they are making cut backs, shame.

Can't see the Press continuing much longer. Hope Peter can find employment elsewhere, be a shame if he was lost to the club/sport.

Gutted. Peter has been a brilliant servant of the club for many years. A sad day for Peter, the Knights and the fans. I guess it is just a sign of the times. When I was a kid 90% of households in York bought the Press but then came the World Wide Web, social media, etc, and the rest is history. I wish you well Peter in whatever you move on to. Dave Edwards

Peter Martini was a great help in the campaign "Keep The Wasps Buzzing" from which the Knights were formed in 2002. When we were trying to raise money to ensure admission back into the league it was The Press and Peter who brokered a donation from John Smiths.

His support to KSS has been invaluable in promoting our events and activities. 

Many thanks for your support Peter. Without your help the Knights may not have got off the ground in 2002.

Just seen the news about Peter. I'm so saddened  as to me he's part of the fabric of the club. It's such a shock too, as other posts on here have already commented, the people who I know who buy The Press only do so for the Knights and City news and reports and to see who's died. I enjoyed reading the letters page too until it was cut back recently. It's a sad day. All the best for the future Peter. I hope this cloud has a silver lining for you.

10 hours ago, Clarence Street said:

Just seen the news about Peter. I'm so saddened  as to me he's part of the fabric of the club. It's such a shock too, as other posts on here have already commented, the people who I know who buy The Press only do so for the Knights and City news and reports and to see who's died. I enjoyed reading the letters page too until it was cut back recently. It's a sad day. All the best for the future Peter. I hope this cloud has a silver lining for you.

Dear Peter. If you do read this forum may I please add my support and appreciation for all that you have done for Rugby League in your adopted city. I'm sure I echo all York fans by saying I wish you all the very best and success in whatever you decide to do.

On 01/07/2019 at 19:00, Stirlin said:

Redundant from the Press but submits report as an independant journo ? , or was this his last as part of his contract with press ?.

Hope not. 

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

• 7 months later...

Hi guys. Peter Martini here. I've only just seen this thread after having my attention brought to it, so apologies for not commenting earlier. Firstly, thank you for all the kind comments - they are appreciated more than people probably realise.

Yes, Dave and I were made redundant last summer, the latest in a long line of cuts at a once great newspaper, but, as AB Knight correctly assumed, I did agree to see out the rest of the season, covering some matches on a freelance basis. That made it 17 seasons of barely missing a Knights game, not forgetting a somewhat hectic year or so of reporting on the Wasps.

In that time, for what it's worth, I did my best to provide decent coverage of the club, firstly for the club itself but more so for the fans and readers. As the years went on, I can't deny it got harder to do so as the newspaper cuts increased, the various work loads went up, and less and less time could be devoted to rugby league reporting. So apologies for that.

On which note, may I quickly take offence at comments on another thread accusing local journalists of being "lazy". I can assure you they are anything but bloody lazy, with the ridiculous amount of work they now have to churn out for both print and online, not to mention page production, social media posts, video work, etc, etc, at all times of day and night, and all with an ever-dwindling skeleton staff. I'd like to see whoever called journalists "lazy" write a 1000-word match report, 400-word stats piece and a 500-word quotes piece from a coach or manager - and submit it all for print, collate it all with photos for websites, edit it, proof-read it, upload it all with headlines, and then begin to work on page production and the next day's paper - all within 60-90 minutes of the full-time whistle, sometimes with no wi-fi signal and far too often in ####### rain! Some poor news journalists have to churn out 10 pages a day by themselves FFS. Lazy they are not. Under-resourced and left in the firing line they most definitely are. So there.

Anyway, mini-rant aside ? , I thoroughly enjoyed my time covering the club, from the good times to the bad times and even the farcical times. It really has been a privilege. More importantly, I've met some truly great people through covering the club and this wonderful (and terribly under-celebrated) sport. Firstly there are the colleagues in the press corps who have educated, informed, inspired and entertained in equal measure, and always in good spirit no matter the circumstance. (As an aside, getting a mention in Andy Atkinson's book was a very proud moment! On which note, Andy and Radio York don't half provide the Knights with some superb coverage, and what great people they are too.) Notwithstanding the occasional awkward moment or difference of opinion, all the coaches and players down the years have also been brilliant to work with - although a special mention does need to go to the current crop (not least James Ford, obviously). Just so you know, these guys went out of their way many many times to help us do our job - and that's on top of their own jobs. As for the supporters, I'd like to think I've made some friends for life. There are too many people to mention by name but to sum up - I might have been brought up on Salford but you lot, with your humour, passion, dedication, knowledge, dignity, friendliness, kindness and goodwill, have converted me to York.

As for this season, I haven't heard how the Press will cover the club going forward... but the fact the chap who arranged coverage after I left (a truly brilliant journalist who basically ran the paper for years) has also since been made redundant maybe suggests I'll be going to games purely as a supporter this season. And you know what, I'm bloody looking forward to it. See you in the Bootham Tavern.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived