New stadium for Workington rejected

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, M j M said:

Elections have consequences.

Nah. If you vote you're just expressing an opinion and nothing that happens as a result of it is anything to due with you or that opinion.

And now that I've made my snide point: this doesn't look great, does it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Its a pity but no they cant, the current venues aren't fitting of a World Cup.

They made the best of  rubbish situation last time when it fell through, that cant be allowed to happen twice.

Been binned by a pathetic bunch of new councillors, mainly because they didn't like the old councillors, and used it as a way to get into office with a disgusting campaign of outright lies. So now we're stuck with decrepit stadiums that simply can't be modernised, both the sedi pro teams in the town won't exist in a few years. 

Just now, dkw said:

Been binned by a pathetic bunch of new councillors, mainly because they didn't like the old councillors, and used it as a way to get into office with a disgusting campaign of outright lies. So now we're stuck with decrepit stadiums that simply can't be modernised, both the sedi pro teams in the town won't exist in a few years. 

Sadly I think you may be right.

It annoys me no end when governments around the world seem to find money for stadia because they can see both the material and prestige value of having good facilities yet in the UK we're almost the total opposite. This could have been HUGE for West Cumbria, now it could decline into nothingness. A real shame.

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It annoys me no end when governments around the world seem to find money for stadia because they can see both the material and prestige value of having good facilities yet in the UK we're almost the total opposite. This could have been HUGE for West Cumbria, now it could decline into nothingness. A real shame.

I'm always disgusted about how little we invest in our sports in the UK. We just seem to not want to spend public money on facilities like other countries. 

1 minute ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm always disgusted about how little we invest in our sports in the UK. We just seem to not want to spend public money on facilities like other countries. 

Agreed. I get the sense this is a modern trend too. All the big old council estate parks at least have goal posts up. They might be ill maintained and 40 years old but they're there. Its like all our 5 a side pitches have to be ones you pay for there are so few new ones or anything like it built. No wonder we're all going obese.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. I get the sense this is a modern trend too. All the big old council estate parks at least have goal posts up. They might be ill maintained and 40 years old but they're there. Its like all our 5 a side pitches have to be ones you pay for there are so few new ones or anything like it built. No wonder we're all going obese.

All hail the great god of privatisation and tax cutting, and we all know who implemented that doctrine?

The Tories took control by stealth by having several supporters stand as “independents” on a ticket of vote for change. As soon as elected these “independents” are back in the fold and supporting the Tory agenda, who are led by a bloke who was in Labour, the BNP, UKIP and finally the Conservatives. This particular councillor has spread so many untruths about the stadium that he would give the WW2 propaganda merchants a run for their money. Even at the meeting yesterday it was stated by the council’s CFO that the stadium was expected to generate an annual surplus of £2.5m a year and they still voted against building it. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 28/06/2019 at 23:48, Hopping Mad said:

Allerdale Council refuses to go ahead with the new stadium proposed for Workington...

https://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/17737242.new-stadium-plan-rejected-by-allerdale-council/

The suggestion is that the stadium would go ahead, but smaller.

I do not know if the finances stack up or if the original ideas or the amended ones were political, but the first point to raise is would a smaller stadium still suit the football clubs?   

16 hours ago, Derwent said:

The Tories took control by stealth by having several supporters stand as “independents” on a ticket of vote for change. As soon as elected these “independents” are back in the fold and supporting the Tory agenda, who are led by a bloke who was in Labour, the BNP, UKIP and finally the Conservatives. This particular councillor has spread so many untruths about the stadium that he would give the WW2 propaganda merchants a run for their money. Even at the meeting yesterday it was stated by the council’s CFO that the stadium was expected to generate an annual surplus of £2.5m a year and they still voted against building it. 

I am not from the area, and these local issues are not mine, but the fact is many Labour seats were lost and the largest party was "Independents" .  It's hard luck for Labour if they lost ... The good people of Allerdale had a free vote on who they voted for and perhaps more importantly who they voted against.  

The suggested surplus of £2.5m a year was based on some £239m being generated over 50 years and the cost of the £95m project would in total cost £170 (after interest etc)... so any theoretical profit would be years away. 

Other issues are clearly involved and not just the stadium, housing for Sellafield workers and NHS property is mentioned.  Leaving aside the WC, will a stadium still be build for Workington Town... it suggests yes. Is this not important first?

To me, what this issue raises is where the money comes from for all these stadiums which local authorities happily bandy around. What debt are they creating?

The World Cup is the pinnacle of the sport and cannot be allowed to take place at Derwent Park again. Sadly if clubs/councils won't invest in facilities befitting a World Cup it will have to go elsewhere. God knows what the bigger sponsors thought last time when they got there.

A crying shame that Cumbria won't have a top spec sporting venue. Personally I really think these new councillors are missing a trick here. It wouldn't just have been good for Workington, it would've been good for cumbria as a whole. I hope they change their minds. That's my take on it anyway. 

23 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Why can't you have a really good amateur league? With Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow in it. So no Cumbrian teams in the Championship or L1 

2 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Why can't you have a really good amateur league? With Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow in it. So no Cumbrian teams in the Championship or L1 

Unfortunately if you wait a short while that is unfortunately what you will have, although I understand the amateur game isn't as strong as it used to be?

4 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Yeh that’s a great idea for the future of the game in the county ...

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Unfortunately if you wait a short while that is unfortunately what you will have, although I understand the amateur game isn't as strong as it used to be?

With 3 Cumbrian teams in the NCL premier,one of them on top of the ladder it isn’t doing too bad

Archived