French grand final

Well it's cooled down to 31 deg C now !

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

42-8 to Avignon last I saw with couple of minutes left. Got called away so uncertain if conversion kicked by Lezignan and game had finished by time I got back

I put together an article summarising the 2019 season in France. I added a points system at the bottom of the article to show which club was most successful. 

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2019/06/france-elite-teams-by-season-2019.html

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

11 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Amazing effort by everyone who played in both games, must have been in the high 30's at one point.

Hottest temperature a RL game has ever been played in? Must be for Europe.

London V Warrington at Carcassonne a few years ago ? 

The last time the Catalans won it (as UTC) was in 2005 the year before they became the Dragons. Clobbered Justin Morgans' TO side at Narbonne a week or so after their Challenge Cup semi-final loss to Leeds. Aussie Ben Pomeroy helping out at St Esteve after his Dragons stint. Stayed on and like the Anderson boys contributing to the treize cause. Good on'em. Hear that  the work-horse Thibaut Margelet (ex-Dragons forward) will be returning to his home base and team at Ille-sur-Tet next season. The locals have just won the N1 title and have aspirations of moving up to Elite 2.

datPhoto1_5d17b9f54f82c_.thumb.jpg.bd99f80fa770617be8374776e617fe71.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

12 minutes ago, audois said:

The last time the Catalans won it (as UTC) was in 2005 the year before they became the Dragons. Clobbered Justin Morgans' TO side at Narbonne a week or so after their Challenge Cup semi-final loss to Leeds. Aussie Ben Pomeroy helping out at St Esteve after his Dragons stint. Stayed on and like the Anderson boys contributing to the treize cause. Good on'em. Hear that  the work-horse Thibaut Margelet (ex-Dragons forward) will be returning to his home base and team at Ille-sur-Tet next season. The locals have just won the N1 title and have aspirations of moving up to Elite 2.

datPhoto1_5d17b9f54f82c_.thumb.jpg.bd99f80fa770617be8374776e617fe71.jpg

Feel that’s a waste for Margalet. I don’t really know what’s happened to him as I always thought he could become a SL regular 

He's taking over the family business I believe, and playing full time a good few years  at the catalans for alot less than the minimum wage and not really breaking through probably means he needs a bit of an income now! 

9 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

That was 100 F, or c.39 C at the start - the ref (Russell Smith, remember him?) agreed to the game being played in 4 quarters with unlimited drinks breaks in between.

I attended this game and recall it was damned hot, especially in a polyester rugby shirt. Didn't realise it was 100F, but can believe it. The supporters were moving further up under the stand roof to keep in the shade as the sun started dropping. Still have a Broncos car hanger that actually warped in the heat whilst the car was parked up, plus a liberated advertising poster for the game which was previously attached to a Carcassonne lampost.

23 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Feel that’s a waste for Margalet. I don’t really know what’s happened to him as I always thought he could become a SL regular 

Yeah always liked him. Was surprised he just walked away after last season with just 32 appearances to his name since 2013.

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

Grand slam then for Catalans in 2018 taking-out Elite 1 (St Esteve XIII Catalan), Elite 2 (Baho), National 1 (Ille-sur-Tet), National 2 (Salses) and Federal (St Esteve).

Baby Dracs coach Benoit Ambert was quoted afterwards ,'the Title is not an end in itself.' He anticipates that 4 or five of the clubs U19s will move up next season. He gave raps in particular Saturday to  to teenagers Brochon, Mourgue and Cozza. Could see them joining Mourgue in the super league squad in 2020 along with Salabio.

Margalet has always been between Elite 1 and SL level. He would have benefited from playing a couple seasons in the Championship but he didn't want to leave his hometown.

He's a Ille-sur-Tet boy from head to toes. 

10 minutes ago, audois said:

Grand slam then for Catalans in 2018 taking-out Elite 1 (St Esteve XIII Catalan), Elite 2 (Baho), National 1 (Ille-sur-Tet), National 2 (Salses) and Federal (St Esteve).

Baby Dracs coach Benoit Ambert was quoted afterwards ,'the Title is not an end in itself.' He anticipates that 4 or five of the clubs U19s will move up next season. He gave raps in particular Saturday to  to teenagers Brochon, Mourgue and Cozza. Could see them joining Mourgue in the super league squad in 2020 along with Salabio.

Brochon, Mourgue and Salabio have SL written all over themselves. Salabio has been named best prop of the comp at just 18 years old. 

Don't forget Gordon that the catalans are a selection of the best young players around, they have to go there if they want to get anywhere near super league, the players you mentioned I don't think any are originally from perpignan, baho are the st esteve/xiii catalans reserves and Ille are the baho reserves, 

In the kids level they snap up all the best players around perpignan when they hit the under 15s so it's normal that the catalan teams are winning everything, 

It's killing rugby league outside of perpignan! 

Toulouse are starting to do the same and Avignon have been too as they're the only elite team anywhere near Avignon so if a kid near the Vaucluse region wants to get to Elite he has to go to Avignon also they pick up most of the players from the centre of excellence in salon de Provence , if à kid anywhere near the Toulouse region. wants to get to Elite or  championship level he goes to toulouse, if a kid in perpignan wants to go higher he goes to st esteve /xiii catalans, who then drop the players down through they're feeder clubs like baho and Ille. 

22 hours ago, barnyia said:

Don't forget Gordon that the catalans are a selection of the best young players around, they have to go there if they want to get anywhere near super league, the players you mentioned I don't think any are originally from perpignan, baho are the st esteve/xiii catalans reserves and Ille are the baho reserves, 

In the kids level they snap up all the best players around perpignan when they hit the under 15s so it's normal that the catalan teams are winning everything, 

It's killing rugby league outside of perpignan! 

Toulouse are starting to do the same and Avignon have been too as they're the only elite team anywhere near Avignon so if a kid near the Vaucluse region wants to get to Elite he has to go to Avignon also they pick up most of the players from the centre of excellence in salon de Provence , if à kid anywhere near the Toulouse region. wants to get to Elite or  championship level he goes to toulouse, if a kid in perpignan wants to go higher he goes to st esteve /xiii catalans, who then drop the players down through they're feeder clubs like baho and Ille. 

Alan there's the three 'hubs' then to promote and nurture. Worked well in Irish rugby union for Leinster, Munster and Ulster too.

Archived