Club not paying players on time?

I guess it depends on the reasons for not paying said player but he has signed for a team who has had that problem themselves in the recent past. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if most championship teams have found themselves struggling to pay players over the last few years. Things will get worse for Championship teams in these coming years as funding is cut.

5 hours ago, ojx said:

In response to these social media rumours, Bradford and Sheffield claim that they have payed players on time this month. 

I hope the guilty clubs isn't TWP once again.

He mentioned 'mates' and a former teammate at Bradford does play for Toronto.

TWP have been in west Yorkshire,today - and before today.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Are these players really living hand to mouth thus that they need to borrow money from a 'mate' if they don't get their (presumably part time) wages?

Part time or not, they will have financial commitments to meet. You may call that "hand to mouth", I call it the new normal. It's only a minority these days that can afford to save. 

1 hour ago, costa said:

Part time or not, they will have financial commitments to meet. You may call that "hand to mouth", I call it the new normal. It's only a minority these days that can afford to save

the facts show us that is patently not true. In fact as of 2016 a quarter of all low earners (under £13500/yr) had savings of a £1000 or more, 40% of that earning group managed to save something up to £1000, that salary is less than minimum wage so includes part time workers and zero hour contract workers too. Why should rugby players be any more susceptible to not being able to save than the majority on the lowest of incomes?

The new norm as you call it, or non savers if you will living hand to mouth is much down to people living beyond their means or spending every single penny they have, far too often on unnecessary goods/items that they don't need! I've seen it so often it makes me angry when people say they're skint and yet have ###### away their money on cigarettes, alcohol, phone/phone contract, microwaved/pre pack dinners and a 101 other things that they simply don't need..

This is why the average debt is so high, people don't want to work hard and save some money for a future purchase/backstop, they want it now and be blowed if there's a debt. Too many will sacrifice putting decent food on the table for the kids in exchange for their personal acquiring of things they don't actually need.

That's not to say that this is the case here but it seems very strange to me that a player is in that exact circumstance that they are borrowing money due to allegedly not being paid by a RL club. What if they didn't play rugby, would they be another one in massive debt and up to their eyeballs ... or as I suspect is the story just full of horse poop?

27 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

the facts show us that is patently not true. In fact as of 2016 a quarter of all low earners (under £13500/yr) had savings of a £1000 or more, 40% of that earning group managed to save something up to £1000, that salary is less than minimum wage so includes part time workers and zero hour contract workers too. Why should rugby players be any more susceptible to not being able to save than the majority on the lowest of incomes?

The new norm as you call it, or non savers if you will living hand to mouth is much down to people living beyond their means or spending every single penny they have, far too often on unnecessary goods/items that they don't need! I've seen it so often it makes me angry when people say they're skint and yet have ###### away their money on cigarettes, alcohol, phone/phone contract, microwaved/pre pack dinners and a 101 other things that they simply don't need..

This is why the average debt is so high, people don't want to work hard and save some money for a future purchase/backstop, they want it now and be blowed if there's a debt. Too many will sacrifice putting decent food on the table for the kids in exchange for their personal acquiring of things they don't actually need.

That's not to say that this is the case here but it seems very strange to me that a player is in that exact circumstance that they are borrowing money due to allegedly not being paid by a RL club. What if they didn't play rugby, would they be another one in massive debt and up to their eyeballs ... or as I suspect is the story just full of horse poop?

Or put the other way and far more applicable to the RL playing age/demographic...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45744552.

And surely its Widnes..????

2 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Or put the other way and far more applicable to the RL playing age/demographic...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45744552.

And surely its Widnes..????

It's applicable to twenty somethings because they are in far too many cases as I've described them above. It wouldn't surprise me if my son earns a similar amount or even less to what this player does with his job + rugby wages, ok with a healthy helping hand from dad for a deposit he's still being able to get on the housing ladder here in N. Hertfordshire, were a 50% share of a 2 bed house buys you a very nice 3 bed semi in Widnes (if we are saying it's a player from there).

The reason a lot of twenty somethings aren't saving is because they're piddling it away on stuff they don't need, this is the reality as opposed to actual living costs being too much, in much of the North of the UK it beggars belief that people are seemingly skint/in debt when living costs are very much affordable even on minimum wage, in fact living costs in a lot of places in the North are ridiculously low, buying a three bed semi in Widnes for instance for what I just saw tells me that is certainly true in that area, and it's a story that you can replicate in plenty of other RL heartlands as well.

Appalling comments by Denton.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I would struggle being faced with a loss of expected income. I don't know anyone who wouldn't struggle in such circumstances. To dismiss players as only being part time is just nonsense, even part time Rugby League players would be facing a drop of hundreds, full time a few thousand. Not everyone has mates or family to just borrow off or ones that could even afford to lend that sort of money.

34 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Appalling comments by Denton.

I don't see why, I added a like to his post above which - to be honest - I've never done on his posts about Lee Radford ? 

Almost certainly this will turn out to be a club which pays its players at the end of the month. The players expected their wages to top on Friday (given that the last day of the month was a Sunday). The money didn't drop, but will probably come this morning.

And I'd agree with Denton, if players are so desperately short of money that they can't survive over a weekend, then it's more of a budgeting issue than anything else. Maybe the RFL should be providing advice and help on helping players to manage their income and expenditure? It's all part of 'well being'. Money is tight these days for most of us, but I make sure that I have sufficient money in the bank to tide over in case of emergencies (of which a payment delay over the weekend would be one)

Lots of 'ifs' and 'maybes' though- because we don't even know for certain that this isn't mischief making by Chisholm and there is actually IS a club that hasn't paid anyone. If there really are players who didn't get paid, surely we would have heard about it by now?

Archived