Club not paying players on time?

It really isn't any player's fault if they can't afford to pay their bills because their employer doesn't pay them on time. It is a bizarre approach to suggest otherwise.

Plenty of people align their bills with their payday, it is perfectly reasonable to expect your wages in your bank to pay these bills.

6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't see why, I added a like to his post above which - to be honest - I've never done on his posts about Lee Radford ? 

Almost certainly this will turn out to be a club which pays its players at the end of the month. The players expected their wages to top on Friday (given that the last day of the month was a Sunday). The money didn't drop, but will probably come this morning.

And I'd agree with Denton, if players are so desperately short of money that they can't survive over a weekend, then it's more of a budgeting issue than anything else. Maybe the RFL should be providing advice and help on helping players to manage their income and expenditure? It's all part of 'well being'. Money is tight these days for most of us, but I make sure that I have sufficient money in the bank to tide over in case of emergencies (of which a payment delay over the weekend would be one)

Lots of 'ifs' and 'maybes' though- because we don't even know for certain that this isn't mischief making by Chisholm and there is actually IS a club that hasn't paid anyone. If there really are players who didn't get paid, surely we would have heard about it by now?

Have you any links to this because I have not seen it mentioned anywhere that this is the case? I'm sure that most can indeed cope with being paid a business day late. Not being paid at all or a weeks late is a different story and more what people have been discussing.

I think all clubs are guilty of this from time to time.  I know one lad personally (retired now) who doesn't fit Denton's profile, who always had difficulty getting his money.  And from what he told me he wasn't alone.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Have you any links to this because I have not seen it mentioned anywhere that this is the case? I'm sure that most can indeed cope with being paid a business day late. Not being paid at all or a weeks late is a different story and more what people have been discussing.

Of course, I haven't got any 'links' - and of course neither has anyone else

This all relates to a tweet from someone who has past history for being a stirrer and trouble-causer. All the rest is hearsay, rumour and made up stuff - there are no actual 'facts' in this instance.

My post was just a 'best guess' based on the fact that he posted it on the Friday before a weekend which included the last day of the month. It's no more likely to be true or not true than any of the other nonsense that is being spouted around social media and forums like this ? 

Can the R.F.L. get involved and ask Chisholm to back up his claim.If not ,suspend him immediately for casting aspersions against other clubs. As paulwalker says he has a history at causing trouble at the numerous clubs he has played for.This is a player who has just landed a 3 year contract. What are the chances of him completing that, I would say absolutely nil.

5 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Why is it, explain why talking about how people squander their money is appalling? 

It is a perfect example of the swivel-eyed, beggar-thy-neighbour culture that Cameron and Osborne cultivated in their first few years of office to justify massive cuts in public services. "Don't blame us - look at the poor person down your road who is squandering everything they have got."

A usual red flag is people describing phones as luxuries. I am just surprised you haven't suggested these players would be fine without pay if only they learned to make their own porridge.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

It really isn't any player's fault if they can't afford to pay their bills because their employer doesn't pay them on time. It is a bizarre approach to suggest otherwise.

Absolutely. This shouldn't need saying at all.

If an employer doesn't pay on pay day then everything that comes from that is their responsibility.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

It's applicable to twenty somethings because they are in far too many cases as I've described them above. It wouldn't surprise me if my son earns a similar amount or even less to what this player does with his job + rugby wages, ok with a healthy helping hand from dad for a deposit he's still being able to get on the housing ladder here in N. Hertfordshire, were a 50% share of a 2 bed house buys you a very nice 3 bed semi in Widnes (if we are saying it's a player from there).

The reason a lot of twenty somethings aren't saving is because they're piddling it away on stuff they don't need, this is the reality as opposed to actual living costs being too much, in much of the North of the UK it beggars belief that people are seemingly skint/in debt when living costs are very much affordable even on minimum wage, in fact living costs in a lot of places in the North are ridiculously low, buying a three bed semi in Widnes for instance for what I just saw tells me that is certainly true in that area, and it's a story that you can replicate in plenty of other RL heartlands as well.

There's one of these a week on twitter. Lectures from people who have saved and grafted and never had a handout and have been able to buy a Caribbean island just by being frugal.

So, it's good to know your son is such a good saver compared to those squandering rugby playing fools that he wouldn't have a house without you giving him the money for it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Damien said:

I would struggle being faced with a loss of expected income. I don't know anyone who wouldn't struggle in such circumstances. To dismiss players as only being part time is just nonsense, even part time Rugby League players would be facing a drop of hundreds, full time a few thousand. Not everyone has mates or family to just borrow off or ones that could even afford to lend that sort of money.

Who is dismissing part time players, show us where someone has said that? I merely asked the question that is this player - but you can ask that of any player, living hand to mouth such that not having £xx money paid to them for a short period which is not their sole income remember, meant they had to borrow money from a 'mate'.

The response was that people who can save are in the minority which is false, even for the very lowest earners, which if you are saying this person earns hundreds just from their RL job then they aren't even in the low earning bracket. So you're saying that this and many other part time rugby players earning hundreds per week on top of their work money are totally reliant on that money from the rugby club otherwise they need a hand out immediately which is what has been suggested? Further you're saying that full time professionals earning thousands per week would be skint and needing to borrow money if they weren't paid for a short period

As for your anecdote, I personally know hundreds of people who wouldn't struggle with not getting some of their income so my anecdote cancels out yours. Not everyone pisses their money away such that they have zero left in the bank at the end of the month/week as proven by the stats, in fact the MAJORITY have some savings even in the lowest income earning bracket!

Suggest you read again and digest what's been said instead of going off on one about part time players being dismissed when we're talking about whether people are living hand to mouth and why that is and how it is very avoidable for the vast majority particularly in certain parts of the North where living costs are much less comparative to incomes than the South.

51 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Can the R.F.L. get involved and ask Chisholm to back up his claim.If not ,suspend him immediately for casting aspersions against other clubs. As paulwalker says he has a history at causing trouble at the numerous clubs he has played for.This is a player who has just landed a 3 year contract. What are the chances of him completing that, I would say absolutely nil.

yeah let's suspend him, after all he only plays for Fev

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There's one of these a week on twitter. Lectures from people who have saved and grafted and never had a handout and have been able to buy a Caribbean island just by being frugal.

So, it's good to know your son is such a good saver compared to those squandering rugby playing fools that he wouldn't have a house without you giving him the money for it.

I never called them fools, you did.

But you utterly missed the point! It was that people on low incomes, such as my son, can still afford to buy property or at the very least rent without having to live hand to mouth. If my son can do it part-buying a modest property in the home counties then folk who have essentially two incomes should not be in financial difficulty after a short period when we know for a fact that within their area living costs are relatively low comparative to incomes.

It's good to know that people like you call others making life decisions "fools" but offer up no actual input to the discussion aside from trolling. good job!

22 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Because you're making sweeping generalisations without knowing any individual's circumstances.

No I didn't, bother to read what I said again, highlight which generalisations I made toward this person.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

Plenty of people align their bills with their payday, it is perfectly reasonable to expect your wages in your bank to pay these bills.

But it's also perfectly reasonable to save some money back isn't it for situations out of our control, afterall the majority do it even in the very lowest income bracket, despite what another poster said upthread. I was discussing that people DO splosh away their money AND I said "That's not to say that this is the case here " with regard to the player and "it seems very strange to me that a player is in that exact circumstance that they are borrowing money due to allegedly not being paid by a RL club" (living hand to mouth) which led me to believe that the story was an untruth "or as I suspect is the story just full of horse poop"

16 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

But it's also perfectly reasonable to save some money back isn't it for situations out of our control, afterall the majority do it even in the very lowest income bracket, despite what another poster said upthread. I was discussing that people DO splosh away their money AND I said "That's not to say that this is the case here " with regard to the player and "it seems very strange to me that a player is in that exact circumstance that they are borrowing money due to allegedly not being paid by a RL club" which led me to believe that the story was an untruth "or as I suspect is the story just full of horse poop"

maybe he just didn't have a healthy helping hand from Daddy.

26 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

But it's also perfectly reasonable to save some money back isn't it for situations out of our control, afterall the majority do it even in the very lowest income bracket, despite what another poster said upthread. I was discussing that people DO splosh away their money AND I said "That's not to say that this is the case here " with regard to the player and "it seems very strange to me that a player is in that exact circumstance that they are borrowing money due to allegedly not being paid by a RL club" which led me to believe that the story was an untruth "or as I suspect is the story just full of horse poop"

Without bragging I will say I could afford not to get paid for a couple of months (maybe a year) and I would be fine (well i'd have less money obviously but I'm not going to be evicted, it would however be unpleasant), I only say this to contextualise the next bit.

However, if i was not paid on pay day and no one had told me then it is likely i would default on the mortgage payment due the next day (or the day after), my home insurance payment, I probably would not have any money in the bank to get cash out to pay for things, my family shop the next day or so would not be paid for etc etc. 

it is not because I am not financially savvy at all (hence the first paragraph) but because i am financially savvy very little of my money sits in a current account (because that is not the best place for it) therefore if the money that is expected to go into it does not then I would be a bit b*ggered. I could get it all sorted out without too much hassle/heartahce but depending on what day it happened, where I was and where the money i needed to move was (access accounts etc) I may need to ask my mate to sub me for a round or for the family shop for a day or 2!

One of the many things Dane hasnt said is how much money they had to borrow.. it may been simply for a round of drinks with the reasoning "i wasnt paid"... nothing serious, nothing to get worked about in terms of the person needing to borrow the money, a minor inconvenience maybe but still it should not happen!

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Who is dismissing part time players, show us where someone has said that? I merely asked the question that is this player - but you can ask that of any player, living hand to mouth such that not having £xx money paid to them for a short period which is not their sole income remember, meant they had to borrow money from a 'mate'.

The response was that people who can save are in the minority which is false, even for the very lowest earners, which if you are saying this person earns hundreds just from their RL job then they aren't even in the low earning bracket. So you're saying that this and many other part time rugby players earning hundreds per week on top of their work money are totally reliant on that money from the rugby club otherwise they need a hand out immediately which is what has been suggested? Further you're saying that full time professionals earning thousands per week would be skint and needing to borrow money if they weren't paid for a short period

As for your anecdote, I personally know hundreds of people who wouldn't struggle with not getting some of their income so my anecdote cancels out yours. Not everyone pisses their money away such that they have zero left in the bank at the end of the month/week as proven by the stats, in fact the MAJORITY have some savings even in the lowest income earning bracket!

Suggest you read again and digest what's been said instead of going off on one about part time players being dismissed when we're talking about whether people are living hand to mouth and why that is and how it is very avoidable for the vast majority particularly in certain parts of the North where living costs are much less comparative to incomes than the South.

You are doing it again in this very post. Just because someone is part time does not mean that they can just go without money and hundreds of pounds. For all you know it could well be their only income. Plenty of people work part time without other income streams for a variety of reasons.

I suggest you actually read and comprehend posts instead of going off on one because people don't agree with your sweeping generalisations and opinions dressed up as fact. I am also very surprised you know the personal incomes of hundreds of people and their exact financial circumstances. I smell bs as I do with much of your post.

Trojan

What have Fev. got to do with it. I am talking about a player making controversial statements about another club without backing his claim up. I would very much doubt Featherstone as a club knew absolutely zero about his tweet.Maybe they could now question him about it just as they are now looking into apparently scurrilous tweets over the weekend concerning Halifax by some of their "so called" supporters.They have not actually covered themselves in glory these last few weeks with their behaviour.I accept there is always idiots among crowds who think it is good fun to act like imbeciles,at least the club are trying to do something about,whilst you seem to think if anybody mentions it they are anti Featherstone.

I don't think there would be any case to answer to the RFL for Chisholm. He hasn't said anything too controversial tbh, I think fans are getting a bit defensive. 

As far as I'm aware he hasn't named anybody, it was a suitably vague tweet.

14 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Trojan

What have Fev. got to do with it. I am talking about a player making controversial statements about another club without backing his claim up. I would very much doubt Featherstone as a club knew absolutely zero about his tweet.Maybe they could now question him about it just as they are now looking into apparently scurrilous tweets over the weekend concerning Halifax by some of their "so called" supporters.They have not actually covered themselves in glory these last few weeks with their behaviour.I accept there is always idiots among crowds who think it is good fun to act like imbeciles,at least the club are trying to do something about,whilst you seem to think if anybody mentions it they are anti Featherstone.

I'm not sure you could ban someone for that tweet. He hasn't named a player or a club, he's not even said it was a Rugby League club. I'm not a big fan of those types of stirring tweets but banning him for that would set a dangerous precedent.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived