Getting out of the Championship

CanadianRugger

Anyone else crossing their fingers we get out of the Championship this year?  I'm getting tired of us slaughtering every team bar Toulouse and one or two others.

I'm hoping Super League simply expands to 14 and promotes both us and Toulouse.

I agree, the one sided victories are getting old. It would be great to have competitive games every week. 

Play-offs are going to be a different story. We will need to win two games. Toulouse could easily turn us over with their strongest team. I'm almost hoping Leigh, or someone else, can put Toulouse out for us.

It's time. 

As for 14 sides next year (a personal preference), the Back Chat show last week featured Ralph Rimmer. He said that a change of team numbers would not come before a new media deal. That’s how I understood it. Shame if that’s true.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

The Super Duper League clubs will not want to expand to 14 teams if it means a cut in funding, 1/12 to 1/14

maybe they can pinch some funding from the championship and League 1. or cut them off completely .

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

It's time. 

As for 14 sides next year (a personal preference), the Back Chat show last week featured Ralph Rimmer. He said that a change of team numbers would not come before a new media deal. That’s how I understood it. Shame if that’s true.

That may be your preference Ray but I'm fed up of the constant chopping and changing especially at short notice.

rldfsignature.jpg

The Championship is a division that doesn't need to exist.  Split it in two, bottom half merge with League 1, Top half merge with Super League.  

The gulf between the Top 6 clubs in the Championship and the bottom is too vast.

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

That may be your preference Ray but I'm fed up of the constant chopping and changing especially at short notice.

Chopping and changing becomes necessary in a sport that makes so many poor decisions. Surely it’s better to change when it is clearly the best way forward than hold a sport back to retain a flawed status quo.

17 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Chopping and changing becomes necessary in a sport that makes so many poor decisions. Surely it’s better to change when it is clearly the best way forward than hold a sport back to retain a flawed status quo.

Who’s to say another change will be the right way to go? It might. Then again it might not.

rldfsignature.jpg

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Who’s to say another change will be the right way to go? It might. Then again it might not.

I always thought 12 teams was too limited and repetitive. It was a poor decision at every level except for a short term benefit of maximising the payments to 12 SL clubs. The fact the Championship is more entertaining speaks volumes about the current SL set up. 

Just now, RayCee said:

I always thought 12 teams was too limited and repetitive. It was a poor decision at every level except for a short term benefit of maximising the payments to 12 SL clubs. The fact the Championship is more entertaining speaks volumes about the current SL set up. 

TWP are running away with the Championship. Their own fans are bored of the easy wins. Is it that more entertaining?

rldfsignature.jpg

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

TWP are running away with the Championship. Their own fans are bored of the easy wins. Is it that more entertaining?

When you say bored, the attendance figures show they are not that bored. 

However, that's what happens when you have a 12 team SL comp. Clubs that should be in SL are having to compete with those too far below that standard. Yet I still enjoy it more than endless reruns of the same teams playing. If the WP get into a 12 team SL comp, they will exchange too many one sided games with repeats ad nauseam. That's why I want change. 

Its interesting that its considered boring to see other teams being so easily beaten each week - boring isn't the adjective I would have used being a supporter of one of those other teams (Swinton). The issue is the league structure which has a mixture of full time and part time set ups which obviously results in mismatches when full time teams play part time teams.

The Championship structure promotes this inequality with the funding mechanism which give more money to the teams in the top 4 places and little in comparison to the bottom 4 above the relegation zone. The fact that most clubs are dependant on the central funding to survive is in itself a disaster for the sport.

So I too rarely watch Super League - it annoys me terribly that the only RL coverage in the UK is Super League and I actually think the brand of rugby played in the Championship is more enjoyable to watch.

It also interesting that for some of us its about a fight to stay in the Championship and the others a fight to get out ?

Whether the Wolfpack get into Super League will depend on winning the two play off matches at the end of the season and as happened last year - winning the league competition isn't a guarantee of winning promotion.

Absolutely  I'm praying we get out of the Championship.

As much as victories are fun, there really isn't a lot of enjoyment watching such lobsided results.

TWP are to be commended for assembling such a skilled squad, but I think it's SL or bust this year.

I even expect their future viability as a club is on the line pending this result.

6 hours ago, wayne_r said:

Its interesting that its considered boring to see other teams being so easily beaten each week - boring isn't the adjective I would have used being a supporter of one of those other teams (Swinton). The issue is the league structure which has a mixture of full time and part time set ups which obviously results in mismatches when full time teams play part time teams.

The Championship structure promotes this inequality with the funding mechanism which give more money to the teams in the top 4 places and little in comparison to the bottom 4 above the relegation zone. The fact that most clubs are dependant on the central funding to survive is in itself a disaster for the sport.

So I too rarely watch Super League - it annoys me terribly that the only RL coverage in the UK is Super League and I actually think the brand of rugby played in the Championship is more enjoyable to watch.

It also interesting that for some of us its about a fight to stay in the Championship and the others a fight to get out ?

Whether the Wolfpack get into Super League will depend on winning the two play off matches at the end of the season and as happened last year - winning the league competition isn't a guarantee of winning promotion.

Finally, honest talk from a Rugby Leaguer!

I've been saying it since day 1, the RFL should not have a league composed with half pro teams and half semi-pro teams playing against each other.  

The gulf in class between the top 4-5 and the rest is too great.  Toronto look like they are in cruise control half the time against the weaker clubs.

The Championship should be split in two with the top 6-8 going to Super League and the rest going to League 1.  

Keep promotion and relegation if you want, it would actually give clubs the chance to move to Super League.  Right now there is no chance for any club outside the same two or three who have always bounced between the top flight and the second division to get there. 

1 hour ago, PatrickB said:

Absolutely  I'm praying we get out of the Championship.

As much as victories are fun, there really isn't a lot of enjoyment watching such lobsided results.

TWP are to be commended for assembling such a skilled squad, but I think it's SL or bust this year.

I even expect their future viability as a club is on the line pending this result.

I 100% agree, TWP is not viable long term if they are playing in the Championship.  Either they are allowed in to Super League this year or they fold.  

There is no money in the Championship and the promotion/relegation formula used uniquely in Europe doesn't work in North America.  They are either a top flight club or they exit the game.

Not that I think many Rugby League fans would care if they did.  I think Rugby League in the UK likes the idea of Rugby League becoming a big time sport but not if it means sacrificing a few Heartlands clubs.

11 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

I think Rugby League in the UK likes the idea of Rugby League becoming a big time sport but not if it means sacrificing a few Heartlands clubs.

Nail . . .  head.

The sport is in some kind of paralysis.

On 02/07/2019 at 15:24, CanadianRugger said:

I 100% agree, TWP is not viable long term if they are playing in the Championship.  Either they are allowed in to Super League this year or they fold.  

There is no money in the Championship and the promotion/relegation formula used uniquely in Europe doesn't work in North America.  They are either a top flight club or they exit the game.

Not that I think many Rugby League fans would care if they did.  I think Rugby League in the UK likes the idea of Rugby League becoming a big time sport but not if it means sacrificing a few Heartlands clubs.

I thought it was a five year plan?

rldfsignature.jpg

I'd encourage people to stop worrying about the minority of moaners who are only happy if the number of players on the field outnumber the crowd watching the match. If we continue to support this club by bringing more and more of our mates to a match we will be doing our part to ensure RL becomes a mainstream North American sport and if some of the same parky-led luddites can't handle it that's their problem. Celebrate the fact that we are averaging over 8K this year and get ready for those numbers to go up when we make our SL debut in 2020. Remember we will have reinforcements from like minded fans in Ottawa and potentially NY in 2020-2021. Keep the faith!

On 03/07/2019 at 17:24, RobertAM said:

I'd encourage people to stop worrying about the minority of moaners who are only happy if the number of players on the field outnumber the crowd watching the match. If we continue to support this club by bringing more and more of our mates to a match we will be doing our part to ensure RL becomes a mainstream North American sport and if some of the same parky-led luddites can't handle it that's their problem. Celebrate the fact that we are averaging over 8K this year and get ready for those numbers to go up when we make our SL debut in 2020. Remember we will have reinforcements from like minded fans in Ottawa and potentially NY in 2020-2021. Keep the faith!

Well said Robert, many RL folks can sap our enthusiasm, especially if we spend too much time on social media,. We must stay strong and keep showing up for this team.

19 minutes ago, ojx said:

Well said Robert, many RL folks can sap our enthusiasm, especially if we spend too much time on social media,. We must stay strong and keep showing up for this team.

Yep, the TWP threads on the main forum have been really bugging me lately.

Latest great idea from the "True" Rugby League fans:  Toronto should play half their home games in Manchester

?????

These people think we are stupid or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Toronto should play half their home games in Manchester

TWP should play all of their home game s in Toronto. RL needs to be serious about expansion. No one complains when the Arrows did eight straight home games, it is just another excuse to criticise the club from the RL posse.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

TWP should play all of their home game s in Toronto. RL needs to be serious about expansion. No one complains when the Arrows did eight straight home games, it is just another excuse to criticise the club from the RL posse.

As I said many times, the biggest threat to Toronto Wolfpack is the RFL and the English themselves.

It's a mickey mouse sport.

47 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

As I said many times, the biggest threat to Toronto Wolfpack is the RFL and the English themselves.

The sport itself is far from Mickey Mouse. Some of the people involved in running it most definitely are.

rldfsignature.jpg

10 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Calm down big fella...now calm down.  Don't let them get to ya!

Archived