Getting out of the Championship

CanadianRugger

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Calm down big fella...now calm down.  Don't let them get to ya!

They did finally get to me.  I am taking a break from the main forum, I can't handle the stupidity any more.

Greed can ruin any sport..just look at Formula 1..Money grubbing Ecclestone turned the best racing in the world into an elitist farce.

Rugby League is more entertaining than RU (for spectators anyway) but some seem hell bent on keeping it down. Cannot understand the logic of that

1 hour ago, RobertAM said:

Greed can ruin any sport..just look at Formula 1..Money grubbing Ecclestone turned the best racing in the world into an elitist farce.

Rugby League is more entertaining than RU (for spectators anyway) but some seem hell bent on keeping it down. Cannot understand the logic of that

As much as I’d love RL to be hugely popular around the world you’ve hit the nail on the head for me Rob as to why I see it as a double edged sword. We’ve all seen how some soccer players act when they are mollycoddled from an early age with too much money and too much time on their hands. I’m sure the same happens in American Football and Baseball. Even the NRL seems to lurch from one player acting stupidly to another. With popularity comes public scrutiny. The devil makes work for idle hands. Be careful what you wish for. I’m done with the cliches for now.

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

They did finally get to me.  I am taking a break from the main forum, I can't handle the stupidity any more.

No offence CR but you certainly didn’t help yourself. A. with your username which is a red rag to a bull (more cliches!) on a rugby league forum and B. with your criticism of the sport. Rugby league fans like to moan about the game but they close ranks when a perceived (rightly or wrongly) rugby union man criticises “their game”.

rldfsignature.jpg

8 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

No offence CR but you certainly didn’t help yourself. A. with your username which is a red rag to a bull (more cliches!) on a rugby league forum and B. with your criticism of the sport. Rugby league fans like to moan about the game but they close ranks when a perceived (rightly or wrongly) rugby union man criticises “their game”.

What do you mean? He's Canadian and likes rugby.... 

8 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

What do you mean? He's Canadian and likes rugby.... 

Rugger is a term that means rugby union in the U.K. Like it or not some RL fans don’t like rugby union because of the way union treated and still treats people involved in rugby league. That might not have happened in Canada where league is largely unknown, certainly before TWP came along but it has happened in many places around the world.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

You just validated a number of opinions I've had about League fans in the North of England. 

9 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

That’s your prerogative but don’t let it spoil your enjoyment of RL.

It won't, don't worry.  I've been watching League long before TWP existed.  I much prefer NRL (St Georges) and Super Rugby (Los Jaguares) to any other Rugby Competitions of either code.

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Rugger is a term that means rugby union in the U.K. Like it or not some RL fans don’t like rugby union because of the way union treated and still treats people involved in rugby league. That might not have happened in Canada where league is largely unknown, certainly before TWP came along but it has happened in many places around the world.

Well I didn't know that "rugger" was union-specific, so maybe CR didn't either.  

On 01/07/2019 at 02:59, CanadianRugger said:

Anyone else crossing their fingers we get out of the Championship this year?  I'm getting tired of us slaughtering every team bar Toulouse and one or two others.

I'm hoping Super League simply expands to 14 and promotes both us and Toulouse.

Think it will be a massive boost for the sport, both in Canada and Europe if/when you do get promoted.

You've got a top notch coach who is well used to winning big games.  Hopefully you won't freeze like you did against London last year.

No chance of Super League expanding to 14 teams before the new deal unless TWP and TOXIII bring a significant domestic TV deal to the table.  It's also not very fair to change the rules mid season.

For entirely selfish reasons, I'm glad you didn't get promoted last year? I couldn't afford to bring the family over last year, but I can this time.

See you all next Saturday

On 02/07/2019 at 15:24, CanadianRugger said:

I 100% agree, TWP is not viable long term if they are playing in the Championship.  Either they are allowed in to Super League this year or they fold.  

There is no money in the Championship and the promotion/relegation formula used uniquely in Europe doesn't work in North America.  They are either a top flight club or they exit the game.

Not that I think many Rugby League fans would care if they did.  I think Rugby League in the UK likes the idea of Rugby League becoming a big time sport but not if it means sacrificing a few Heartlands clubs.

Sadly, I think you're right there.

There are far too many people over here that think it's still 1956 and we have a god given right to 100,000+ crowds. We know we've got a great sport, but we are hopeless at promoting it and giving the wider public a positive impression.

RL needs to be box office if it's going to grow.  I'm probably in the minority, but I think Toronto's addition to the top division is a step on the road to bigger things.

You'll never get us to ditch the idea of promotion and relegation though.  The franchised model is just as alien to us as the P&R system is to you. Hopefully one day there will be enough teams to run a North American League, then RL will really be going places.

On 05/07/2019 at 16:06, deluded pom? said:

Why the change of avatar if you don’t mind me asking?

It is because he is just a simple farmer or Habitant (Hab for short)...it is the proudest emblem in all of Canadian sport.

5 hours ago, The Lad said:

My question would be what happens if you don't go up?. I don't see the owner or the fans sticking around if the Wolfpack never get into super league.

don't forget its a 5 year plan. early days yet.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

• 2 months later...

Yep, I would have been amazed/shocked/disappointed/angry as He** if we had been denied but seems the penny has dropped...

methinks it's a going to be a great game so sure hope u can find a Pub showing it Rog...will we waving to you!!

Archived