West of the Pennines

With Oldham, Rochdale and Swinton all struggling is it time now for the RFL to step in and help them, as someone said in a different thread we have already lost Huyton, Blackpool  and Carlisle, and to lose any more teams from west of the Pennines would  be a big blow for the game,  I also  think it was a  huge mistake blocking Manchester Rangers from entering league 1,

worrying times ahead .

Football is so much stronger in Lancashire than Yorkshire, which doesn’t help.

What do you suggest the RFL might do though? I’d like to see them focussing on getting more kids playing in schools and at community clubs but all I seem to hear about is a reduction in that. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Football is so much stronger in Lancashire than Yorkshire, which doesn’t help.

What do you suggest the RFL might do though? I’d like to see them focussing on getting more kids playing in schools and at community clubs but all I seem to hear about is a reduction in that. 

honestly Eddie, I do not know the answer in how to save the clubs, but certainly getting kids in to the ground could be a factor, give local schools free tickets, have a party for them after the game, making it a family day out not just a rugby game, more kids equals more parents/money  at the turn styles.

3 minutes ago, owls said:

honestly Eddie, I do not know the answer in how to save the clubs, but certainly getting kids in to the ground could be a factor, give local schools free tickets, have a party for them after the game, making it a family day out not just a rugby game, more kids equals more parents/money  at the turn styles.

Are you proposing to give kids free tickets and the parents pay full price?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Once you sell your ground and have no replacement you lose your soul and it becomes a slow decline. Swinton and Oldham have shown this and I really hope Rochdale aren't going down the same round now they have no say in Spotland after the RFL sold their stake.

I would like the RFL to back the purchase of land for each of these clubs in their own towns to develop grounds and build again. Even just a modest stadium with a clubhouse and small stand is enough for the attendances that these clubs are getting and it can be developed as the clubs grow. With grants etc available, and even the World Cup funding money, I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Once you sell your ground and have no replacement you lose your soul and it becomes a slow decline. Swinton and Oldham have shown this and I really hope Rochdale aren't going down the same round now they have no say in Spotland after the RFL sold their stake.

I would like the RFL to back the purchase of land for each of these clubs in their own towns to develop grounds and build again. Even just a modest stadium with a clubhouse and small stand is enough for the attendances that these clubs are getting and it can be developed as the clubs grow. With grants etc available, and even the World Cup funding money, I don't see why it shouldn't be feasible.

Do you include Wigan in that same company? 

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Which bit of no replacement did you not understand?

Do Wigan RL have a say in the running of the DW?

Or are they tenants much in the same way as Rochdale with little say or control.

Wigan have been on a steady decline since leaving Central Park but with a much higher staring point than Rochdale. 

So are they in the same company as Rochdale?

There's plenty of clubs over this side of the great divide that have problems but having somewhere to play doesn't seem to be one of them?,................................................just at this moment in time!

Just now, Manx RL said:

Do Wigan RL have a say in the running of the DW?

Or are they tenants much in the same way as Rochdale with little say or control.

Wigan have been on a steady decline since leaving Central Park but with a much higher staring point than Rochdale. 

So are they in the same company as Rochdale?

Stop talking nonsense, Wigan had a replacement to play at when Central Park was sold. They also have an option on a long term lease until 2050 and are a valuable tennent that contribute to the running of the stadium and pay circa £400,000 every season to do so. This is in addition to the associated income from food and drink that the stadium owner receives.

You should try a sensible post once in a while and stop trying to ruin a perfectly good thread. 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Stop talking nonsense, Wigan had a replacement to play at when Central Park was sold.

In fairness, Rochdale sold the Athletic Grounds to buy a 50% stake in the redeveloped Spotland, didn't they? They should, if anything, have been even more secure than Wigan.

32 minutes ago, Damien said:

Stop talking nonsense, Wigan had a replacement to play at when Central Park was sold. They also have an option on a long term lease until 2050 and are a valuable tennent that contribute to the running of the stadium and pay circa £400,000 every season to do so. This is in addition to the associated income from food and drink that the stadium owner receives.

You should try a sensible post once in a while and stop trying to ruin a perfectly good thread. 

Oldham had an agreement in place to play at Boundary Park after vacating Watersheddings.  So from your initial post the number of clubs without a ‘replacement’ in place are dropping fast.

2 hours ago, superten said:

I also fear for Widnes going part time next season .

I fear that Widnes will never win a game East of the Pennines!

6 hours ago, owls said:

With Oldham, Rochdale and Swinton all struggling is it time now for the RFL to step in and help them, as someone said in a different thread we have already lost Huyton, Blackpool  and Carlisle, and to lose any more teams from west of the Pennines would  be a big blow for the game,  I also  think it was a  huge mistake blocking Manchester Rangers from entering league 1,

worrying times ahead .

The merger that never came saw Salford rise to the top and the other teams struggling.

Manchester rangers should have been allowed in but the powers that be knew that would be another nail in the coffin to the 3 teams on life support.

Salford and Manchester could be the future of RL in the city but instead are suffering from the propping up of tired old teams.

There would be no shame for Swinton Oldham and Rochdale to turn amateur (paying as appropriate) and concentrate on rebuilding their clubs back at home.

Getting their own patch of grass would be a good starting point.

1 minute ago, doc said:

I fear that Widnes will never win a game East of the Pennines!

Widnes are a club at semi pro level.

They always have been.

Some clubs are not big enough to become FT and the initial report reflected this with mergers.

As mergers were rejected there were clubs making the numbers up in the SL.

Now other big hitters are lining up to enter SL Widnes are getting left behind. 

All because they wouldn't merge.

I was anti merger but others who think this way need to realise that being stand alone means competing at a lower level.

And that is not just Widnes.

6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The merger that never came saw Salford rise to the top and the other teams struggling.

Manchester rangers should have been allowed in but the powers that be knew that would be another nail in the coffin to the 3 teams on life support.

Salford and Manchester could be the future of RL in the city but instead are suffering from the propping up of tired old teams.

There would be no shame for Swinton Oldham and Rochdale to turn amateur (paying as appropriate) and concentrate on rebuilding their clubs back at home.

Getting their own patch of grass would be a good starting point.

I think a lot of teams should look at going amateur we should go super league 12 teams , championship full-time / semi pro 16 teams . Then national conference 16 teams . With then the rest of amateur leagues filtering down . Challenge cup for all . Championship Challenge cup for Championship teams . Then national Amateur cup for rest all three finals at Wembley .  

Chief Crazy Eagle

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think Wigans problem was that Athletic got into the premiership, the money that gave them changed the axis of the stadium, with even 30million in parachute payments when they were relegated Athletic call the shots now, Wigan can no longer decide when they can play at home and like others have to play a chunk of games away in the middle of the season while pitch work is carried out.  Ironic really when MacManus is allegedly saying that TWP can't play away from home at the start of the season in SL?

11 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Widnes are a club at semi pro level.

They always have been.

Some clubs are not big enough to become FT and the initial report reflected this with mergers.

As mergers were rejected there were clubs making the numbers up in the SL.

Now other big hitters are lining up to enter SL Widnes are getting left behind. 

All because they wouldn't merge.

I was anti merger but others who think this way need to realise that being stand alone means competing at a lower level.

And that is not just Widnes.

Widnes were one of the biggest clubs in late 80s early 90s won just about everything with plenty of 10,000 plus crowds . Just need right investment and manager to get them going again . Would be a massive shame if Widnes were to fall into the wilderness . 32 trophies World club Champions .  

Chief Crazy Eagle

15 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

When people say 'the RFL should step in', what exactly do they think the RFL should do?

Pour in good money after bad....money they don't have.  The "own your own ground" mantra is not valid in the 21st century.

26 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Oldham had an agreement in place to play at Boundary Park after vacating Watersheddings.  So from your initial post the number of clubs without a ‘replacement’ in place are dropping fast.

They played there for a few years, hardly a long term replacement. I acknowledged that Rochdale had a stake in Spotland which now they don't. Swinton sold up and have led a nomadic existence ever since.

7 hours ago, owls said:

worrying times ahead .

No these clubs have had their chance at the top table and failed, throwing good money after bad isn’t going to solve anything. I hope they can continue to operate as a Championship or Championship One club, but they shouldn’t get special treatment.

If the RFL has cash to spare it needs to be spent on grassroots. Newcastle, a League One club outside the heartlands run an Academy and are doing a fantastic job at it, this is something the RFL should be funding IMO, they are genuinely expanding the game. 

32 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I think Wigans problem was that Athletic got into the premiership, the money that gave them changed the axis of the stadium, with even 30million in parachute payments when they were relegated Athletic call the shots now, Wigan can no longer decide when they can play at home and like others have to play a chunk of games away in the middle of the season while pitch work is carried out.  Ironic really when MacManus is allegedly saying that TWP can't play away from home at the start of the season in SL?

Wigan's problem was getting into bed with Dave Whelan and believing the stadium being shared between and benefiting both teams nonsense. Also allowing the proceeds from Central Park to disappear but it had little choice in that after being taken over by Dave Whelan. The trouble is Wigan Athletic are worthless without the stadium and Dave Whelan knows this. I would love Wigan to build their own stadium but Lenegan has no appetite for doing so and constantly spouts what a good deal Wigan have, which I do not believe.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No these clubs have had their chance at the top table and failed, throwing good money after bad isn’t going to solve anything. I hope they can continue to operate as a Championship or Championship One club, but they shouldn’t get special treatment.

If the RFL has cash to spare it needs to be spent on grassroots. Newcastle, a League One club outside the heartlands run an Academy and are doing a fantastic job at it, this is something the RFL should be funding IMO, they are genuinely expanding the game. 

The problem is its the thin end of the wedge . you start losing teams like Oldham , Rochdale and Swinton you throw any all that history and tradition . Once its gone its gone . Also people rave about new teams but once they stop winning there fans disappear . Look at Paris 17,000 for first game down to 500 v Salford at the end . We lost Oldham for them what a waste. North Wales got 10,000 for first game at Wrexham in super league . Gateshead another . London 14,000 when playing under Fulham name against Wakefield all those fans gone .    

Chief Crazy Eagle

Archived