Back Chat with Ralph Rimmer- RFL repositioning is about growing audiences

So Ralph Rimmer says that the RFL have set clubs the focus  of doing the right things such as growing crowds, achieving better viewing audiences ( “we’ve put our own platforms out”). The RFL will be able to produce viewing stats from these platforms to put to potential sponsors. When asked if there will be a plan equalise the revenue in the Championship Mr Rimmer further explained the “return on investment mechanism” where clubs will be rewarded  on a number of give backs to the game. League position demonstrates competence on the field , attendance, Our League membership, participation numbers .. so clubs doing the right thing get a bigger return. “Repositioning doesn’t mean geographical expansion, it’s about growing audiences , repositioning means how we deliver the sport broadcast wise...”

How do you envisage it by 2021... championship 1 gone , a bigger Championship... rebranded ? 

I sense that long term we may see a 14 team full-time Super League, a 16 team mixed full / part time Championship and League 1 being disbanded with the remaining teams going either going amateur and playing in local leagues or if we're lucky semi-pro regional conferences.

All of this in anticipation (or perhaps by then the reality) of reduced funding, making the current 37 teams in professional or semi-professional leagues unsustainable.

5 hours ago, wizza1 said:

So Ralph Rimmer says that the RFL have set clubs the focus  of doing the right things such as growing crowds, achieving better viewing audiences ( “we’ve put our own platforms out”). The RFL will be able to produce viewing stats from these platforms to put to potential sponsors. When asked if there will be a plan equalise the revenue in the Championship Mr Rimmer further explained the “return on investment mechanism” where clubs will be rewarded  on a number of give backs to the game. League position demonstrates competence on the field , attendance, Our League membership, participation numbers .. so clubs doing the right thing get a bigger return. “Repositioning doesn’t mean geographical expansion, it’s about growing audiences , repositioning means how we deliver the sport broadcast wise...”

How do you envisage it by 2021... championship 1 gone , a bigger Championship... rebranded ? 

Well for sure some clubs need to do a lot more as regards crowds.

I'm not even sure if some clubs understand what match day awareness is

55 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I sense that long term we may see a 14 team full-time Super League, a 16 team mixed full / part time Championship and League 1 being disbanded with the remaining teams going either going amateur and playing in local leagues or if we're lucky semi-pro regional conferences.

All of this in anticipation (or perhaps by then the reality) of reduced funding, making the current 37 teams in professional or semi-professional leagues unsustainable.

Yes, and the performance indicators Rimmer talked about give them the excuse to ditch clubs who don’t have “give backs” (hideous phrase)

2 hours ago, newbe said:

Thought it was S/L  clubs who decided what % championship n league 1 clubs get?

Of the SL deal yes. There are other (much smaller) pies knocking around. We just need to make the most of each of them, I think we are some way off doing that.

4 hours ago, newbe said:

Thought it was S/L  clubs who decided what % championship n league 1 clubs get?

From what I got from what he said was that SL will do its own deal next time round and the RFL will do theirs. Therefore, Ralph R wants to improve the Championship so it can negotiate a better deal for itself.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived