Semi details

Batley Bob

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

You are probably right Ernie, I have it on good authority, the lads are all well up for it and will be busting a gut to win and get to Wembley.

Keeping faith in our own players is also better for morale.

Just as a side note: Does anyone know, have we ever lost in a Semi Final? 

I realise (before some of our near neighbours jump on this opportunity for a dig) we have not been involved in very many throughout our long history. I just can't think of an example, I'm not sure what stage the game we had a against Doncaster was, when Ellery Hanley was coaching them. I think it must have been a cup game of sorts as I have a feeling they were in a division below us and beat us, Bolu Fagborun was playing for us and made a howler of an error which cost us the game, but I might be getting confused with another match though.  

Semi final 2008... biggest chance we blew until 2010! 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

You are probably right Ernie, I have it on good authority, the lads are all well up for it and will be busting a gut to win and get to Wembley.

Keeping faith in our own players is also better for morale.

Just as a side note: Does anyone know, have we ever lost in a Semi Final? 

I realise (before some of our near neighbours jump on this opportunity for a dig) we have not been involved in very many throughout our long history. I just can't think of an example, I'm not sure what stage the game we had a against Doncaster was, when Ellery Hanley was coaching them. I think it must have been a cup game of sorts as I have a feeling they were in a division below us and beat us, Bolu Fagborun was playing for us and made a howler of an error which cost us the game, but I might be getting confused with another match though.  

That was nrc semi final Under Gary Thornton I think

IMG_0583.JPG

against my better judgement I've just been to the game this afternoon. 

what an absolute joke..... toothless in attack.players giving away moronic penalties and defence a shambles on and off. 

halfbacks a complete waste of space.... Dom and Jouffret looking like they haven't a clue what gameplan we have. 

Sheffield didn't really look troubled one bit and we wouldn't have scored a try if we played until Christmas. 

good grief how depressing and I just can't wait for season to finish and see the back of Diskin. 

it can't arrive soon enough. 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

16 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

?????

glad they busted a gut today. 

would hate to see them going through the motions. 

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

For a semi-final appearance, and the carrot of Wembley, that was utterly appalling.  Batley beat Batley today, Sheffield didn't need to get out of first gear.  Far too many errors and ill-discipline.  If that's "busting a gut" I'm not looking forward to when they can't be ar5ed.

Appalling. Time for those in charge of the club to finally take some decisive action. Directing frustration at Diskin is misguided. When someone is failing at their job, it's up to their employers to do something about it. 

I won't hold my breath. 

Think all the hurt and abuse is down to expense. I sat at home and was surprised how even it was for 60 minutes.

Rettie scores in first we could of held out. He needed to catch and dive low not catch step and be tackled but then hes not been a "winger" since shoulder pop.

Dom has done his bit but it's championship 1 now for him

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Yeah we started brightly but after 15 mins we were done. Sheffield had to do very little to win that game we just failed to make any headway of threat. Being beaten by Walkers kicking and Faz's tenacity near the line makes it even worse.

Sheffield were the better team and deserved their win but seriously the scoreboard was a chalk boar, no clock, a hand held air horn and absolutely nowhere to go when it started peeing it down unless you wanted to hide in a porta loo outside the ground. It is a shambles they can sign Thackeray etc. But cannot provide the bare minimum for the paying public

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

3 hours ago, il cattivo said:

?????

glad they busted a gut today. 

would hate to see them going through the motions. 

Funny how we see things differently I guess? 

There was no lack of effort IMO. If we had lacked effort given the amount of field position they had, we would have been beaten by 40 points.

Watch the game again, after you have read the post I made in the Diskin Out thread (23rd July) about Patch and game management. Today was another fine example his ability to snuff out a team, and make them play from inside there own half, build pressure and wait for the mistake.

We just do not have anyone that is capable of managing a game like he does, or have a strong enough kicking game to force teams to constantly play from there own half. 

The only thing you can blame the coach for is letting him go and not replacing him.  

18 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

The only thing you can blame the coach for is letting him go and not replacing him.  

Not sure I agree with that.  There are plenty of other things he is culpable for, based on the current position we find ourselves in, and the brand of RL we are playing.

It's seemed the only way we were gonna win was via our forwards who worked themselves to a stand still. Gledhill was awesome. Leak played like a man 3 stone heavier. The 3/4s and pivots had no attack

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

I don't think now that our season has anywhere else to go, we're probably gambling survival on the Rochdale game assuimng that Barrow don't turn 2 teams (1 of which could be us) over. Not surprised we're not releasing any more re-signings, can't see how many will want to stay nor anyone who will want to come in to make us stronger. We've become a League 1 side in all but name. Only 5 games left, so pay the coach off, weed out the chaff and start now for 2020.

Perhaps we can persuade Mr Beaumont to hire wembley for the 3 & 4th place playoff lol

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Funny how we see things differently I guess? 

There was no lack of effort IMO. If we had lacked effort given the amount of field position they had, we would have beaten by 40 points.

Watch the game again after you have read the post I made in the Diskin Out thread (23rd July) about Patch and game management. Today was another fine example his ability to snuff out a team, and make them play from inside there own half, build pressure and wait for the mistake.

We just do not have anyone that is capable of managing a game like he does, or have a strong enough kicking game to force teams to constantly play from there own half. 

Agree 100%. We just weren't good enough (again) going forward. The defence was strong throughout the game.

I made the point about the halves after the Yorkshire Cup game against Bradford and that hasn't changed all season, unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Chairman LMAO said:

Not sure I agree with that.  There are plenty of other things he is culpable for, based on the current position we find ourselves in, and the brand of RL we are playing.

I should have been more specific, my statement was aimed at the blame for today's performance rather than the last 3 years. 

I don't want to open that can of worms on another thread ?

22 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Agree 100%. We just weren't good enough (again) going forward. The defence was strong throughout the game.

I made the point about the halves after the Yorkshire Cup game against Bradford and that hasn't changed all season, unfortunately. 

All 3 HB's are decent player IMO but they are all very similar players, support players with an okay short kicking game. We need an organiser who can manage the game and  kick long.  

1 hour ago, Piggy's mate said:

Perhaps we can persuade Mr Beaumont to hire wembley for the 3 & 4th place playoff lol

We could kick that one off after other two finals for logistical reasons, at about 7.00 the following morning. ??????

Archived