Wimbledon 2019

9 minutes ago, Ullman said:

My mrs (who went to Wimbledon for the first time this year and hasn't stopped talking about it since) explained that he was the Jake Connor of tennis.

More like the Willie Mason, if you ask me...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

More like the Willie Mason, if you ask me...

Reference received and understood ?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

In an ideal world yes but I don't think it would necessarily be a good thing, it might just be me but there appears to be a lot of mismatches in the women's game.

9 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

In an ideal world yes but I don't think it would necessarily be a good thing, it might just be me but there appears to be a lot of mismatches in the women's game.

You can't expect equal pay if your not doing equal work.

Women want equality and that means in tennis playing the best of 5 sets.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

But in most sectors, pay isn't actually related to how much work somebody does.

12 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I don't think anybody would really have any problem with the opening 2-3 rounds of all the draws being 3 sets and then 5 sets thereafter.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think anybody would really have any problem with the opening 2-3 rounds of all the draws being 3 sets and then 5 sets thereafter.

Whilst this seems like a decent solution, there has only been 1 semi-final or final match in the last 5 years that has gone to a 3rd set.

Tennis is a pretty unforgiving game, but the mens doesn't seem to suffer quite this much with mismatches. 

20 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Its it fair that women at Wimbledon get the same as men and only play the best of 3 sets while then men play the best of 5?

You seem to have not read my post? I was making the point that in most jobs pay isn't related to fairness or amount of work someone does. 

Is it fair that AJ earns more in one boxing match than other pros earn over a 40 fight career? 

10 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

You seem to have not read my post? I was making the point that in most jobs pay isn't related to fairness or amount of work someone does. 

Is it fair that AJ earns more in one boxing match than other pros earn over a 40 fight career? 

That's down to AJ's ability and drawing power, well was 

Currently, Novak Djokovic is leading a bloke on his stag weekend. ? 

Not a bad match, all joking aside, but everyone's waiting for the second semi-final, when Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal face each other. And I think this is rankling a little with Novak.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

And I think this is rankling a little with Novak.

He does seem to get tetchy when he's not the centre of attention, or the fans are on the other guy's side. However, I think this is part of his motivation plan as he's known to be a pretty decent guy off the court. As are Federer and Nadal.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 08/07/2019 at 08:03, The Future is League said:

It is not about that though is it.

Otherwise all sports people would be on the same scale. Top rugby players and top soccer and NFL players alike.

All the boxers would be in one class and the lightweights and women would be far worse off.

It is about commercial value.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

He does seem to get tetchy when he's not the centre of attention, or the fans are on the other guy's side. However, I think this is part of his motivation plan as he's known to be a pretty decent guy off the court. As are Federer and Nadal.

He had the misfortune to come along at a time when Federer was already a legend and Nadal was pretty well established as the next one, and fans' preferences were pretty binary. He's actually quite a fun guy, despite his rather grim face. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Hats off to Federer, nails it five minutes before kick off at Headingley.

He's a very considerate chap.

Hell of a match, too, especially the way Nadal fought back from multiple match points.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Halep has played brilliantly so far. Williams hanging on by her fingernails. You can never discount her though.

A well-deserved victory for Halep. She was superb.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A well-deserved victory for Halep. She was superb.

Agreed. She also came across very well in her interview afterwards. It's a shame in a way that it was only best of 3 sets. I would have liked to see more of that match, and see if Halep could sustain it or whether Williams might have fought back. When you think of the epic men's matches over the years, they tend to be ones that have gone to a 5th set. Unfortunately, the women's matches often end before you really get that feel. I really hope they change that in the near future. It would be great to see a 3-2 women's final with both of the players pushed to the physical max.

Nicolas Mahut involved in a marathon match at Wimbledon? Didn't see that coming...

Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Nicolas Mahut involved in a marathon match at Wimbledon? Didn't see that coming...

Poor lad; hit in the eye, then in the neck, then one to the plums. Then he loses the match. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived