Sheffield (Friday)

AB Knight

Huge game on Friday....I know, take it one game at a time but if the Knights can pull off a great win in Sheffield, and as I expect Bradford lose in Toulouse, then York will find themselves 3 wins clear of the chasing pack outside the playoffs with a better points difference and just 7 games to go.

Not yet been to Sheffield's new ground, I've heard it's very basic, just hope the view is better than the old Don Valley stadium. Sheffield are going well this season and have a good home record so it will be a tough game. Not heard about Connor yet, hope he's fit to play on Friday as his partnership with Liam Harris is really developing. Awkward kickoff time but hope plenty York fans make the journey as we aim to make it 4 league wins on the bounce.

The downside is the "main stand" it's got more posts than anything very cramped and tucked off centre which is bizarre in itself into the near corner. Otherwise it's just standing no terracing or roof. I think Friday is going to be not raining which is a plus. I personally am finding it difficult if I can make it due to being a Friday evening. I don't really understand why they play on Fridays especially in summer as the pitch is shared with Sheff United ladies but they are on their summer break.? Its not field hockey season, basketball or even ice hockey season either that they have around there for common sense and to get the most fans possible don't understand why Sheffield can't play on a Sunday. But that's how it is I will be listening to radio York. Rant over etc up the Knights 

3 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

The downside is the "main stand" it's got more posts than anything very cramped and tucked off centre which is bizarre in itself into the near corner. Otherwise it's just standing no terracing or roof. I think Friday is going to be not raining which is a plus. I personally am finding it difficult if I can make it due to being a Friday evening. I don't really understand why they play on Fridays especially in summer as the pitch is shared with Sheff United ladies but they are on their summer break.? Its not field hockey season, basketball or even ice hockey season either that they have around there for common sense and to get the most fans possible don't understand why Sheffield can't play on a Sunday. But that's how it is I will be listening to radio York. Rant over etc up the Knights 

It may be for the same reason as one or two other clubs,hospitality.

The business people,apparently,prefer the Friday night,thereby leaving the Saturday and Sunday for the golf course/other sport,and family.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

5 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It may be for the same reason as one or two other clubs,hospitality.

The business people,apparently,prefer the Friday night,thereby leaving the Saturday and Sunday for the golf course/other sport,and family.

Missing the game myself on Friday but will be hoping to listen in from my festival duties to the wonderful Tim Steere.

7 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Yeah but they have a Hog Roast on so, silver linings and all that...

Hopefully no serious injuries and Connor recovers as well. If it is any consolation, the 3 players who face the disciplinary this week should be available, because any suspensions, (if they get any), don't kick in until the following week I think.

3 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Forget shuttle buses etc, we need a hog roast at the new stadium!

10 minutes ago, paul said:

Massive game for both clubs,a win for the Knights puts us 6 points clear of Sheffield with 8 games to go.

7 games after Friday, I believe ?

20 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

Oh what a Knight(s), great win a fantastin performance and big raps for the Knights fans, there was as many away fans as home fans, well done everyone.

Well done on your win however I think everybody this season has matched the home support at Sheffield except Toulouse back in April.

On 02/07/2019 at 14:11, Gav Wilson said:

Someone wants doing under the trade descriptions act for that. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

That wasn’t a bad win was it?! Thought Jason Bass yet again showed great maturity to not let his head drop when he messed up with taking that kick off, Stock gets better each game, Den Perry proving why he should be in the team each week and then the forwards more than matching the Eagles.

Can’t help feeling we are unlucky with some of these players obstruction calls, if you look at a few of the Sheffield tries they could quite easily have been wiped off too.

As for the ground I don’t want to be too harsh on Sheffield, better for them to be playing there in the city than at a stock car ground or having to go 25 miles up the road to play in front of 400 at Wakefield. But it just about worked for a warm Friday night with 700 ish there. If it was a bigger crowd (eg Bradford) and raining all night that would’ve been grim as we wouldn’t have been able to stand on the grass banking in the stadium. Plenty of good people doing some hard work at Sheffield, just hope they can crack on getting the new stand built as a 200 temporary stand and 7 portaloos won’t intice many to return next season. Also unless you were stood near that stand you couldn’t hear the  PA, surely a potential risk.

Final note, there was a great little WMC (Aftercliffe liberal club) tucked just around the corner, don’t think many know it’s there but full of Eagles memorabilia and really cheap prices even if it did feel like going back to the 70s (most clubs in South Yorkshire are like that!). Definitely one to go to next season if you don’t want to queue for ages and pay £4 for a plastic pint.

1 hour ago, AB Knight said:

Final note, there was a great little WMC (Aftercliffe liberal club) tucked just around the corner, don’t think many know it’s there but full of Eagles memorabilia and really cheap prices even if it did feel like going back to the 70s (most clubs in South Yorkshire are like that!). Definitely one to go to next season if you don’t want to queue for ages and pay £4 for a plastic pint.

You were lucky, we tried the WMC, (as recommended by the doorman at the library,) only to find it closed!

Regarding the ground, the facilities are unacceptable for this level of rugby in my view. In addition to the above, the scoreboard, was a chalk and blackboard and couldn't be seen. Massive effort by the Knights, my man of the match goes to Brad Hey.

Archived