George Burgess - 9 game suspension

Video looked horrendous to be fair and don't think he can have any complaints

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None at all, horrible incident and he is lucky he didn't cause any real damage.

Our game is tough enough without that kind of act.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Should have been more. It should have ended his year. He should have been more harshly for England last year, but he swore it was against his character. 

Nope, you are a scumbag.

I’d like to ask him what he’s thinking , but maybe a redundant question . One thing that does perplex me every week is what do you have to do to get sinbinned or sent off in the NRL ? I don’t get it , where are the  onfield , ingame sanctions ? So many acts of foul play - and reviewed by the bunker - which just lazily get put on report . All the time . People are getting banned but that does nothing for the opposition on the day . And sometimes they lose a player due to foul play . It’s a total cop out , like officials are petrified to influence a game like this . There must be more in game sanctions for foul play . And it looks even worse when guys get ten for picky professional fouls !

George Burgess's South Sydney career remains alive after he was handed a nine-match suspension – the longest ban delivered by the judiciary in seven years – despite swearing on "my kids' lives" that he did not intentionally eye-gouge former Rabbitohs teammate Robbie Farah.

With nine regular season games remaining for South Sydney - they have the bye this weekend - Burgess will not be available for Rabbitohs selection until the qualifying finals begin on September 13.

He had been facing a potential season ending ban as NRL counsel initially pushed for a three-month suspension on Tuesday night at NRL headquarters.

The 27-year-old's ban was amplified by 50 per cent loading from a previous eye gouge on New Zealand's Dallin Watene-Zelezniak while Burgess was playing for England last November. He received a four-match ban back then, forcing him to miss the first three rounds of the 2019 Telstra premiership.

Not since James Graham's 12-game suspension for biting Billy Slater in the 2012 grand final has a player been banned for so long by the judiciary.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/02/george-burgess-handed-nine-match-ban/

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Should have been out for the rest of the season and big monetary fine, as said the Aussie's have a thing about sending someone off, years back they suggested that you should be able to use a replacement for a player who received  red card as if that was punisment enough. I think they have got it into their heads that if a player was found not guilty then his team has suffered unjustlyor that was what the coaches complained about. Now with the bunker and two refs waching from multiple angle's it time for a reathink on that issue?

13 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Should have been out for the rest of the season and big monetary fine, as said the Aussie's have a thing about sending someone off, years back they suggested that you should be able to use a replacement for a player who received  red card as if that was punisment enough. I think they have got it into their heads that if a player was found not guilty then his team has suffered unjustlyor that was what the coaches complained about. Now with the bunker and two refs waching from multiple angle's it time for a reathink on that issue?

That is exactly why Refs have been reluctant to send players off.

Players sent off have been exonerated in the past and the losing teams fans have become a little upset.

I agree with your comments that times have changed and in some instances the evidence is clear and they should be off.

43 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’d like to ask him what he’s thinking , but maybe a redundant question . One thing that does perplex me every week is what do you have to do to get sinbinned or sent off in the NRL ? I don’t get it , where are the  onfield , ingame sanctions ? So many acts of foul play - and reviewed by the bunker - which just lazily get put on report . All the time . People are getting banned but that does nothing for the opposition on the day . And sometimes they lose a player due to foul play . It’s a total cop out , like officials are petrified to influence a game like this . There must be more in game sanctions for foul play . And it looks even worse when guys get ten for picky professional fouls !

SL definitely have a better approach with this, although Hill should’ve been binned on the weekend. Generally though, they’re more proactive with taking on field decisions 

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Rumours are that Souths are looking to get shot of him. I'm sure they will now. 

He was almost certainly leaving Souths before this incident anyway - he's been earmarked to be joining the Eels for a while now. The big question is whether they still want him to be honest. Sam has always been regarded as a bit of a grub but takes it as much as he gives it. George just seems like a real dirt bag of a player. 

Why would you sign a player now when he’s wiped out for the regular season when you can get him at the end of the year ? I’d say souths are stuck with him and will use him in the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Why not a bit of both? A ref asks the bunker to review the footage and tells the ref their opinion. The ref acts accordingly.

rldfsignature.jpg

Basically despite having the cast of Ben Hur officiating a game they don’t have confidence to make big calls for some reason . The officials can spot a penalty like hawk eye even if no one else can see it , and other picky things but the big calls - tries and foul play they lose their bottle and hand it over to the VR , stand around with their finger in their ear waiting to be told what to do . It’s just refereeing by remote control now , and they’ve got into a mindset of checking everything as a comfort blanket , with the new buzz word being “ confirm “ . Do they not see how ridiculous that is ... confirm what ? What we’ve  seen , called and are describing to you . The VR takes away officiating the game , and they gladly let it which is sad . I’ll still take what I and 99% of fans still watch ... decisions made for right or wrong and we all get home by quarter to five and argue them all night

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Basically despite having the cast of Ben Hur officiating a game they don’t have confidence to make big calls for some reason . The officials can spot a penalty like hawk eye even if no one else can see it , and other picky things but the big calls - tries and foul play they lose their bottle and hand it over to the VR , stand around with their finger in their ear waiting to be told what to do . It’s just refereeing by remote control now , and they’ve got into a mindset of checking everything as a comfort blanket , with the new buzz word being “ confirm “ . Do they not see how ridiculous that is ... confirm what ? What we’ve  seen , called and are describing to you . The VR takes away officiating the game , and they gladly let it which is sad . I’ll still take what I and 99% of fans still watch ... decisions made for right or wrong and we all get home by quarter to five and argue them all night

David,

You can have all the cameras and replays you like but many still argue about the outcome.

When Robbie Farrah said he was gouged in the 2017 World Cup by an English player, who do you think was telling the Truth?

When James Graham was accused of biting Billy Slaters Ear which side did you take?

When Hall "Scored" the finger tip try that was disallowed what did you think of that decision?

All replayed over and over in the aftermath of these events. I could have take either side in all three of them to be honest.

The Cameras and angles are often disputed and what is supposed to be HD frame by frame footage often looks like a 1980's Sony handycam footage on replay.

There are big stakes in the game nowadays and rough enough is not going to be good enough for many Clubs and Fans, its not Park Football where you have a rough game and its 12 on 11 by half time

If a player commits an offense refer it the the Judiciary and wipe him out for as long as needed if he is guilty

How does Josh McGuire get away with his ######?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

David,

You can have all the cameras and replays you like but many still argue about the outcome.

When Robbie Farrah said he was gouged in the 2017 World Cup by an English player, who do you think was telling the Truth?

When James Graham was accused of biting Billy Slaters Ear which side did you take?

When Hall "Scored" the finger tip try that was disallowed what did you think of that decision?

All replayed over and over in the aftermath of these events. I could have take either side in all three of them to be honest.

The Cameras and angles are often disputed and what is supposed to be HD frame by frame footage often looks like a 1980's Sony handycam footage on replay.

There are big stakes in the game nowadays and rough enough is not going to be good enough for many Clubs and Fans, its not Park Football where you have a rough game and its 12 on 11 by half time

If a player commits an offense refer it the the Judiciary and wipe him out for as long as needed if he is guilty

What if the non offendings teams player is injured? Referring it to the judicary doesn't help them in that game does it. Taking it to the extreme their playmaker could be taken out by a player on the field for just that purpose who then gets suspended whilst having surgery. Extreme I know but wasn't it Dud Beattie who injured a arm in a test match but stayed on the field to instigate a fight with Derek 'Rocky' Turner that saw them both sent off! So not so extreme?

35 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

What if the non offendings teams player is injured? Referring it to the judicary doesn't help them in that game does it. Taking it to the extreme their playmaker could be taken out by a player on the field for just that purpose who then gets suspended whilst having surgery. Extreme I know but wasn't it Dud Beattie who injured a arm in a test match but stayed on the field to instigate a fight with Derek 'Rocky' Turner that saw them both sent off! So not so extreme?

My general point is about clear decisions not being made .... on tries by officials who want confirmation of what they’ve seen due to a lack of confidence it seems , and on foul play where the bunker is reviewing it at the time and they’re still handing it over to a post game panel . Both are cop outs when calls are there to be made . Not unclear or disputed ones , clear ones which should be being made on both counts . One due to using the bunker as a comfort blanket , and the other seemingly a protocol not to influence the game by reducing numbers . Both need a mindset change as they look bad . The way it is now professional fouls are viewed more seriously in games than bad foul play ... work that out .

simply swap shirts with tom burgess just before kick off, get tom to sit on the sidelines looking hard done by - whos gonna click?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

That would be a good plan if George was playing better than Tom this year.

As Tom has been in much better form, it does seem a little counter productive.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived