Elie Brousse

One of the games' all-time greats has died aged 97 yrs in Roanne. 'The Sydney Tiger' second-rower put the Kangaroos to the sword four times between 1945 and 1953. Selected 30 times by France. Must be the last of that great group of Puig Aubert et al.

safe_image.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

2 minutes ago, audois said:

One of the games' all-time greats has died aged 97 yrs in Roanne. 'The Sydney Tiger' second-rower put the Kangaroos to the sword four times between 1945 and 1953. Selected 30 times by France. Must be the last of that great group of Puig Aubert et al.

safe_image.jpg

Some clips on YouTube to look at him in action. Fantastic player

Catalan born. Defeated Kangaroos too for a Catalans selection side Xmas day 1948. Brousse third from the right back row.He and Ponsinet formed one of the codes great seconds-rows.

2019_07_02_131718.jpg

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

A great of the French game, even in a time of greats.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 hours ago, audois said:

safe_image.jpg

Sad news  RIP

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Very, very sad.

Would love to know for sure whether he was the last surviving member of that great 1951 team.

The video clip of that game is brilliant, what incredible attacking football! Oh to be able to see France defeat Australia like that now.

13 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

RIP Mister Brousse

What a try ! France 35 Australia 14 ... Sydney cricket ground 1951 , third test .

Brilliant - some fantastic running rugby in that clip

Rugby League - a sport where shape and size does not limit your potential

On 02/07/2019 at 12:23, audois said:

Catalan born. Defeated Kangaroos too for a Catalans selection side Xmas day 1948. Brousse third from the right back row.He and Ponsinet formed one of the codes great seconds-rows.

2019_07_02_131718.jpg

Amazing the played Xmas day. Thought it was only basketball that did that

12 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

No, don't know about RL, but soccer in this country played on Xmas day and Boxing Day until the late 1950s (I think the last season was 1958/59, but I'm not sure).

Aye, my dad *just* remembers Christmas Day and Boxing Day games (I think they reversed the fixtures).

There's a cup game in Northern Ireland, of all places, that has a traditional Christmas Day afternoon kick off as well. I think Glentoran play in it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm sure the clip says 'ashes' trophy at the end? 

He certainly does but the trophy in the footage isn’t the Ashes trophy. That’s the second trophy that I posted. It’s a mistake by the commentator IMO.

rldfsignature.jpg

Weren't they playing for the gigantic (and somewhat vulgar) Courtney Goodwill Trophy in the pre-RWC days?

BsEWWl8CYAA-qvX.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived