taking the two

17 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

With all due respect I'm not sure that's really relevant to the point I made. All I was saying was that I prefer a team to go for the try, although am definitely not advocating getting rid of the kick.

Indeed fair comment. I was emphasising that I do not agree with artificially (and absurdly) restricting the ability to take a penalty.  

On your point, taking a penalty kick then subsequently gives that team the problem of having the ball now close to it's own line, whilst the alternative keeps the ball away from its own and close to it's opponents. The latter may be the best option, but looks sick if you fail to get a try! 

Interestingly (I think!) defenders generally do well to protect close to the line... But in more open play the attackers seem to make more yardage up field and defenders struggle more to get back to their gain line.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed fair comment. I was emphasising that I do not agree with artificially (and absurdly) restricting the ability to take a penalty.  

On your point, taking a penalty kick then subsequently gives that team the problem of having the ball now close to it's own line, whilst the alternative keeps the ball away from its own and close to it's opponents. The latter may be the best option, but looks sick if you fail to get a try! 

Interestingly (I think!) defenders generally do well to protect close to the line... But in more open play the attackers seem to make more yardage up field and defenders struggle more to get back to their gain line.

Defenders do seem to do better near the line,unless you are Leeds for the last 2 seasons lol

1 hour ago, Rhinoferg said:

Defenders do seem to do better near the line,unless you are Leeds for the last 2 seasons lol

Wigan were not much better at Cas earlier in the season.

My supposition is that in wider open play, defenders will have moved up more and then somewhat perversely have had to track back more and then (!) been less slow to then advance. So attackers make more yardage in the middle of the park. 

All this brings us back to the point. A defender on the line will be well within the 10m line and (possibly!) easier to defend.  Thus sometimes (!!) it might (!!!) be value to 'take the 2 points.  Or not!!!!

All coaches need to be well versed in the are of crystal ball gazing.

Archived