Salford Fire Sale

I'm having trouble keeping up. Have I got this right? Robert Liu has left, with Jackson Hastings, George Griffin and Derrell Olpherts to leave after this season concludes.

Salford are clearly struggling financially to stay in SL. By shrewd acquisitions and on-selling them, they keep themselves in SL and pay their bills. I wonder how long will last? I feel for the fans but I guess they accept their fate. If anyone can add to this or correct anything I have posted here, please do so. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RayCee said:

I'm having trouble keeping up. Have I got this right? Robert Liu has left, with Jackson Hastings, George Griffin and Derrell Olpherts to leave after this season concludes.

Salford are clearly struggling financially to stay in SL. By shrewd acquisitions and on-selling them, they keep themselves in SL and pay their bills. I wonder how long will last? I feel for the fans but I guess they accept their fate. If anyone can add to this or correct anything I have posted here, please do so. 

Haven't they already signed 3 or 4 players for next season?

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Haven't they already signed 3 or 4 players for next season?

I believe so, but I presume for less than what they are selling players for.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

If they are acquiring new players! How can that be a fire sale?

If you want to be pedantic, why make one sentence into two, when grammatically it is clearly one sentence? Had you left the 'If' off, then it would make sense? Otherwise, the intent of the article is clear to anyone who desires to discuss the subject. 

7 hours ago, RayCee said:

No, it's not Salford that's depressing it's SL. Same old, same old.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, TheDuke said:

They have sold one player, hardly a fire sale. The rest are going at the end of their contracts

they have also signed Lolohea mid season 

OK, so one sold and the other three choosing to leave. I thought they were selling all four, but why I asked  was because it looks like a clean out of players they could do with keeping.

Now Marwan isn’t funding Salford it’s only a matter of time until they either go bust or get relegated. You simply can’t sustain a club on the crowds they get without someone covering the losses.

They have been fortunate with very few injuries this year, if 2020 is less kind to them they will be in trouble. They are my tip to go down in 2020.

15 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I suppose you could make the same thread about London 

Yes, although they seem to have made fewer acquisitions and relied on last year’s squad.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Now Marwan isn’t funding Salford it’s only a matter of time until they either go bust or get relegated. You simply can’t sustain a club on the crowds they get without someone covering the losses.

They have been fortunate with very few injuries this year, if 2020 is less kind to them they will be in trouble. They are my tip to go down in 2020.

Agreed. 

22 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Perhaps the fans of Swinton and Salford (and Leigh?) could get together and create something that would be worthwhile.  Eastern  (err...pardon me... my edit.. "Western") Suburbs?

9 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Perhaps the fans of Swinton and Salford (and Leigh?) could get together and create something that would be worthwhile.  Eastern Suburbs?

Eastern Suburbs of where? Liverpool?

People called Romans they go the house

1 minute ago, MrPosh said:

Eastern Suburbs of where? Liverpool?

He ha ha.  Yes I am daydreaming again!!  "Wests"  !!

And I was being deliberately droll about bringing in Leigh,  which was unfortunate for me because my point was a serious one about the Reds and the Lions. It is that they should look hard at their futures.

20 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

Josh jones off to Hull too

A top player too.

It happens in the EPL too, less financial clubs having their players poached by those with deeper pockets. This 2019 Salford exodus seems a bad one for the club. Maybe the Championship is their financial level.

13 hours ago, RayCee said:

Your predictions of the impending Salfageddon seemed to be based on the implicit assumption that the club is haplessly sitting there with its collective finger up its ###### wondering what to do as players move on. Why do you assume that they won't be replacing these players?

At the moment. the 'exodus', as you describe, it consists of four players (three if you include Calamity Derrell) moving on, with Jackson Hastings possibly being another departure. Meanwhile, there have been suggestions from the  club that they already have seven new players signed up for next season with the possibility of more to come. Total RL has published a list of the players they believe will be at Salford next year (here). If this list is accurate, then you could argue they will be a bit weaker in the halves, but, I would suggest, as strong if not stronger in other positions. Significantly so in one case.

It seems to me that there's a certain amount of confirmation bias when it comes to Salford, with any departures seized on as the start of the club's slide into the abyss, while any players coming in are often dismissed as not good enough before they've even set foot on the field (check out this corker).

The trick - as always with Salford - is to wait and see what actually happens.

Salford departures all out of contract

Bibby and Hastings to Wigan

Jones to Hull

Griffin and Olpherts to Cas

Lui to Leeds

Atkin and Lolohea coming in, rumours of Sarginson, Brown and Pauli  and at least 4 other names touted.

Salford will be stronger having Cas picking up those 2 players, one can't catch and the other can't retain the ball. Olepherts costs at least a try a game.

Jones, Bibby and Hastings I will miss. Robbie seemed determined to leave regardless so to get some cash is probably a bonus (time will tell)

These departures are a fact of life for clubs like Salford. I can already predict who clubs will chase next year.

RayCee it's happens every year at all Club's with varying amounts of activity and for varying reasons so a little less drama queen headlining when there's nothing to see.  This sentence may or may not be grammatical and a response to make any corrections other than making you feel just a tad superior will have no impact on my day other than you confirming what an insecure individual you are.

9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Their demise has been on the cards for a while now, since 1873 to be precise.

No this is inaccurate there was a definite upturn to the 1897-8 season but from there on in, tomorrow is the end.

And tomorrow is the end everyone!

3 hours ago, Terrybill said:

RayCee it's happens every year at all Club's with varying amounts of activity and for varying reasons so a little less drama queen headlining when there's nothing to see.  This sentence may or may not be grammatical and a response to make any corrections other than making you feel just a tad superior will have no impact on my day other than you confirming what an insecure individual you are.

A reasoned response like everyone iis all that’s required on any post. Sad for you that you now have  to make it personal.

Of course its personal, my comment is directed at you feeling the need to correct another persons grammar and if you are referring to the 'drama queen' comment that's a personal view on what I believe is an OTT comment from you.

There are far worse crimes than being overly emtional in a post, and far worse misdemeanors than abusing the English language which can manage to muddle along.

And try to remember Salford bring nothing to SL which is obviously why their players are being courted by everyone with a bit more money and chance of winning a trophy.

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

There are far worse crimes than being overly emtional in a post, and far worse misdemeanors than abusing the English language which can manage to muddle along.

And try to remember Salford bring nothing to SL which is obviously why their players are being courted by everyone with a bit more money and chance of winning a trophy.

It was lazy and posted with a critical tone, yet almost devoid of any substance. The sort of comment that leads to pointless debate. I've seen plenty of incorrect grammar and never.mention it. When it came with the above circumstances, I made an exception in the hope he could reflect on his style of delivery.

And try to remember that being patronising isn’t good argumentation. Oxford. Salford do bring something to SL. Every team brings something. It’s just they are doing it tough.

Archived