6-7 Jul: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

3 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

A reported 65 spectators watched the West Wales-Doncaster game this afternoon. Slightly worse than the 79 for the recent home game with Workington. Figures obtained from a spectator at both games. Don't believe the official attendance figures. A complete joke. Time the RFL got rid, I think.

Or give them time to develop and give pathways to young Welsh players who want to play the game. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Coventry have also beaten Workington and Newcastle this season and should have also beat Skolars at home. While I can understand Skolars fans being disappointed seems quite a reaction to a defeat against a team that has shown they can be a match for anyone on their day. Considering where you finished last season I would say on balance you are still having a good season

We are but the frustration is that we are going backwards and it’s clear since the new players have come , things just have not jelled. We dominated first half and you the second. You’re a good team but this is our third loss in a row and I’m not really sure why. 

Not a bad crowd today considering. 

1C9824DD-B867-4DAA-8990-CCF4F9475C26.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

Harsh on West Wales. Certainly improved from last year

But have they really? No wins, still shipping in on average over 50pts per match, the reason they seem to have improved is that there isn't a Bulls or Knights in the division this season putting 100+ points on them, so the level has dropped but they are still miles off it new coach or not. Maybe they are managing to get out a full 17 which would be a improvement, but let's be realistic they bring nothing to the game but embarrassment, and there is not the slightest bit of intrest in 3rd grade RL in Wales. As for these youngster's people crow about SL clubs will have hoovered them up if they have the slightest bit of potential, probably then to spit them out further down the line when they will toddle off to local RU because there is more money to be made there.

RL in Wales is a non starter always has been always will be, but people keep putting admittedly small amounts of money into it and still seem suprised when they loose it, no doubt people disagree with this if so show me different, show me the successes, show me the progress, show me the non hertitage National team or show me attendances that reach 3 figures for WWR or 4 figures for NWC?

15 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

But have they really? No wins, still shipping in on average over 50pts per match, the reason they seem to have improved is that there isn't a Bulls or Knights in the division this season putting 100+ points on them, so the level has dropped but they are still miles off it new coach or not. Maybe they are managing to get out a full 17 which would be a improvement, but let's be realistic they bring nothing to the game but embarrassment, and there is not the slightest bit of intrest in 3rd grade RL in Wales. As for these youngster's people crow about SL clubs will have hoovered them up if they have the slightest bit of potential, probably then to spit them out further down the line when they will toddle off to local RU because there is more money to be made there.

RL in Wales is a non starter always has been always will be, but people keep putting admittedly small amounts of money into it and still seem suprised when they loose it, no doubt people disagree with this if so show me different, show me the successes, show me the progress, show me the non hertitage National team or show me attendances that reach 3 figures for WWR or 4 figures for NWC?

You must have selective amnesia.When Crusaders played at Bridgend they went through the divisions - National League 2;National League 1;Super League.Drew 4 figure attendances.

Like heartland clubs with over 100 years to be perfect they suffered financial difficulties.The lesson would seem to be have good teams on and off the field.

Now,because of the greed and inadequacies of others,a lack of funding will prevent progress to many clubs - not just those outside the heartlands.

Perhaps you could inform us all of your efforts to grow the sport...

Perhaps you are just a critic from a distance and a non-starter.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Covs defeat of Skolars - yet more evidence of a  cracking competion in League 1 . If you remove WWR (sorry:-(  ) from the equation its been probably the most evenly matched  of the three divisions.

Personally dont think you can look much beyond Haven, Oldham or Thunder for the title but all the clubs have produced some big results and i'm fairly sure that the battle for play off places will go right down to the final week of the regular season  and then who knows what could happen .

Cougars despite being written off early door have been competitive all season , the Bears are making massive progress and Cru could still suprise , they've been on the end of some agonisingly close defeats against teams at the top of the table .

All to play or ...

19 minutes ago, Rach said:

Covs defeat of Skolars - yet more evidence of a  cracking competion in League 1 . If you remove WWR (sorry:-(  ) from the equation its been probably the most evenly matched  of the three divisions.

Personally dont think you can look much beyond Haven, Oldham or Thunder for the title but all the clubs have produced some big results and i'm fairly sure that the battle for play off places will go right down to the final week of the regular season  and then who knows what could happen .

Cougars despite being written off early door have been competitive all season , the Bears are making massive progress and Cru could still suprise , they've been on the end of some agonisingly close defeats against teams at the top of the table .

All to play or ...

Cracking post Rach.

I wouldnt write Doncaster off the equation. I think they may be on a roll and with Rangi Chase joining them he alone could get them promoted.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

24 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Another good win for Cru, only a last second try off a bobbly kick gave the scoreline a hint of decency for Workyat 30-18 We're finally clicking ???

A good all round performance. I like the look of the new scrum half although it would be unfair to single out one player from what was a good team effort.

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

Another good win for Cru, only a last second try off a bobbly kick gave the scoreline a hint of decency for Workyat 30-18 We're finally clicking ???

Well done , but right now if we had a bye round we’d lose that 

21 hours ago, EssexRL said:

We are but the frustration is that we are going backwards and it’s clear since the new players have come , things just have not jelled. We dominated first half and you the second. You’re a good team but this is our third loss in a row and I’m not really sure why. 

Not a bad crowd today considering. 

1C9824DD-B867-4DAA-8990-CCF4F9475C26.jpeg

Which players have come in?

On 06/07/2019 at 22:15, Clogiron said:

Bloody hell reet barrel of laughs you are.... Not....???

How expansionist teams can ever hope to build when any attempt to build the game away from the M62 is ridiculed and sneered at.... 

Just tell me why WWR or NWC  existence actually affects you as an RL fan to be so dismissive, or are you a supporter of an already established SL club who thinks that the pittance these clubs receive from central funding is depriving you of the services of the left ankle of a so so Aussie import who's just finishing his career n seeing the sites of Europe. over here for a season or two.... 

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Now things are coming together next week's game at Oldham's going to be a good test of how we're advancing as they only beat us by 2 at Queensway in March. Half time today was unusual as the officials didn't go back to the changing rooms, but stayed on the pitch except for the ref who seemed to spend it lurking near the dressing rooms' doors, something I've not seen before.

43 minutes ago, Rach said:

How expansionist teams can ever hope to build when an attempt to build the game away from the M62 is ridiculed and sneered at.... 

Just tell me why WWR or NWC  existencet actually afffects you  as an RL fan to be so dismissive, or are you a supporter of an already established SL club who thinks that the pittance these clubs receive from central funding is depriving you of the services of the left ankle of a so so Aussie import who's just finishing his career  n seeing the sites of Europe. over here for a season or two.... 

We have been trying to expand the game into Wales as long as I can remember. Lots of failures and no lasting success. Unfortunately the Welsh don’t like rl otherwise it would flourish. More fool them

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

30 minutes ago, DEANO said:

We have been trying to expand the game into Wales as long as I can remember. Lots of failures and no lasting success. Unfortunately the Welsh don’t like rl otherwise it would flourish. More fool them

Hard to explain why there are so many Welsh players in Super League,and The Championship,in contrast to the lack of players from York,when the Welsh don't like rugby league.

How do you define the attitude of people from York towards rugby league?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

50 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

Dec Gregory who signed from Rochdale a few weeks back. He’s a lively one that’s for sure

Think you might find it was Ben Stead at SH , Dec Gregory came on at replacement hooker

1 hour ago, Rach said:

How expansionist teams can ever hope to build when an attempt to build the game away from the M62 is ridiculed and sneered at.... 

Just tell me why WWR or NWC  existencet actually afffects you  as an RL fan to be so dismissive, or are you a supporter of an already established SL club who thinks that the pittance these clubs receive from central funding is depriving you of the services of the left ankle of a so so Aussie import who's just finishing his career  n seeing the sites of Europe. over here for a season or two.... 

I don't follow any club but have played and watched the game for over 58 years so I've seen plenty of clubs come and go.The only strong Welsh presence in the game was when clubs could sign RU players by offering them more money than their RU club could, those days are long gone and so has any real Welsh intrest in the game.

All this claptrap about 'youve got give them a chance because their a development club' fails on one thing, they never do develop into anything as recent and past experience shows. A handful of people being intrested in them won't pay the bills and whilst as stated before I abhor the attitude to the game overall of the SL clubs the harsh reality is that is going to be the future it seems so how are these 'developmet' and some of the older clubs going to survive then?

Time moves on and lower level RL just isn't in a position to change or become relevant to enough people to survive sadly?

55 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Hard to explain why there are so many Welsh players in Super League,and The Championship,in contrast to the lack of players from York,when the Welsh don't like rugby league.

Plenty from York in super league past and present 

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

They go when there winning 

Archived