5-7 Jul: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David Shepherd said:

Allegedly, today's ref was Martyn Richard's brother in law.

If true, it would certainly explain some of the bizarre decision making.

Also if true, how can this kind of potential conflict of interest be allowed?

RL don't like us or want us in SL, fine us and suspend other clubs fines! 

2 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I don't buy that one, but there was something quite odd about today's refereeing.

That's your opinion but Iam definitely sticking to the, they don't want us in SL! 

15 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:

the two defeats at home to Barrow and Dewsbury could still hurt Fev

You could say the same for TO with Swinton and Bradford. I am sure other teams have had surprise defeats too. That's the beauty of this season's championship, if you are not on it you can get turned over.

3 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

You could say the same for TO with Swinton and Bradford. I am sure other teams have had surprise defeats too. That's the beauty of this season's championship, if you are not on it you can get turned over.

aye we are both right

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Really compacted at the top of the Championship now (excepting Toronto)

Three teams level on 26 points after Featherstones victory over Leigh, and Bradford (in great form) just two points back. Sheffield two points further back. York quietly going about their business on 28. 

It's any four from those six to join TW in the five. I think it will go all the way to the wire, with plenty of twists and turns. It entirely possible that Toulouse might not even make top 5.

Also pretty tight at the bottom. Rochdale look to be gone, but Dewsbury beating Barrow was huge today. Swinton look to be pulling clear, but Batley have been dragged into it.

Great competition this season

Love the way you mention York last even though they are 2nd. Hope they stay under the radar 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

If it’s true that a referee was allowed to referee a game involving his brother in law/best man, there needs to be some kind of review of the rules.

i haven’t watched the game yet so not in a position to comment on his performance but he should not be in that position regardless. I’m uneasy with refs being in charge of teams they are known to support but when friends/family are involved it’s surely a conflict of interest. Why give supporters that ammunition? The mind boggles.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

If it’s true that a referee was allowed to referee a game involving his brother in law/best man, there needs to be some kind of review of the rules.

i haven’t watched the game yet so not in a position to comment on his performance but he should not be in that position regardless. I’m uneasy with refs being in charge of teams they are known to support but when friends/family are involved it’s surely a conflict of interest. Why give supporters that ammunition? The mind boggles.

In theory it could work the other way.

The ref thinks 'Crikey, my brother in law plays for this lot, best not give them anything in case I am accused of being biased'. 

Sadly this didn't happen today at Fev.

10 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Love the way you mention York last even though they are 2nd. Hope they stay under the radar 

If York make it into the top5 then they deserve it. They do, however, have only 2 more games at home, they have Bradford, Toronto, Leigh and Featherstone to play yet.

TO away at Fev last game of the season could be very interesting. That is, if TO don't screw up too much...again. Bradford had a great game, but TO just got the basics wrong. 

1 minute ago, Private Baldrick said:

The ref thinks 'Crikey, my brother in law plays for this lot, best not give them anything in case I am accused of being biased'. 

Yes, of course. Either way I’m gobsmacked they would be put in that position. It was a routine league game too so not as if it’s a final and he’s been the best ref all year. They could literally send anyone else.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

12 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Definitely right there! 

obviously as supporter's of opposing teams we somewhat see things quite differently, I fhink Leigh made enough opportunities today to win the game today, some bad final decision making along with some good defense from Fev meant a reverse in the outcome, all in all a good game to watch.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

obviously as supporter's of opposing teams we somewhat see things quite differently, I fhink Leigh made enough opportunities today to win the game today, some bad final decision making along with some good defense from Fev meant a reverse in the outcome, all in all a good game to watch.

Bad day all round with no fish un chips as well ? 

35 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The interception won the game for Fev , brilliant reading by Chisholm , he misses it Leigh score and go 2 scores clear , he catches it and Fev take the lead , and the game 

Good game , Shame to hear a few Leigh idiots booing Reynolds probably the same idiots who used to give him grief when he was at Leigh , if you see this Ben , 99.9% of the Leythers thank you for your time at Leigh and wish you all the best in the future

Thanks Fev for a great day out , see you later no doubt  

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The interception won the game for Fev , brilliant reading by Chisholm , he misses it Leigh score and go 2 scores clear , he catches it and Fev take the lead , and the game 

Good game , Shame to hear a few Leigh idiots booing Reynolds probably the same idiots who used to give him grief when he was at Leigh , if you see this Ben , 99.9% of the Leythers thank you for your time at Leigh and wish you all the best in the future

Now stop that! Just cut it out! We can't have any other team having idiot fans! ? 

Seriously though it was a good turn out by Leigh, a cracking atmosphere and obviously from my side a good game and result. It was nice to see fans mingling in the fanzone prior to kick off, just how it should be. Hopefully see you in the playoffs for the decider!

1 minute ago, Private Baldrick said:

Now stop that! Just cut it out! We can't have any other team having idiot fans! ? 

Seriously though it was a good turn out by Leigh, a cracking atmosphere and obviously from my side a good game and result. It was nice to see fans mingling in the fanzone prior to kick off, just how it should be. Hopefully see you in the playoffs for the decider!

Everybody has them Baldrick

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It was a decisive moment Steve. After that, Fev took a stranglehold on the game, and were deserving winners. Two pretty evenly matched teams - we won well at ours and they have just done it at theirs.

I was pleased for Ben. He stayed very loyal to us, last season, is a skilful lad, and you know you will always get 100% from him.

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

To be fair, two of Leigh's first half tries came from passes that colin kaepernick would stick on his highlight reel.

One of the many "errors" that today's ref made.

That aside, it was a tough, well fought game. Thought we won the energy battle and a late scare aside, the result was never in doubt after Chizzy's intercept.

I'm sure Ben Reynolds got way less stick than 'ocky, Riddy and Scruffy Duffy got. Goes with the territory when you play a former team.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Allegedly, today's ref was Martyn Ridyards's  brother in law.

If true, it would certainly explain some of the bizarre decision making.

Also if true, how can this kind of potential conflict of interest be allowed?

No idea whether that's true or not, but if it is, you should have done alright when he was reffing you last season!?

8 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

To be fair, two of Leigh's first half tries came from passes that colin kaepernick would stick on his highlight reel.

One of the many "errors" that today's ref made.

That aside, it was a tough, well fought game. Thought we won the energy battle and a late scare aside, the result was never in doubt after Chizzy's intercept.

I'm sure Ben Reynolds got way less stick than 'ocky, Riddy and Scruffy Duffy got. Goes with the territory when you play a former team.

As we only saw our trys from 100 yards away ,I couldn't comment 

3 minutes ago, AlanE said:

No idea whether that's true or not, but if it is, you should have done alright when he was reffing you last season!?

We did! He was the ref when we played Hull in the Cup on Sky Sports and Talaupapa did that 'mis timed tackle' on Shaul and he stayed on the pitch! ?

Archived