5 Jul: SL: Hull FC v St Helens KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/07/19 at 18:45

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough one to call. If the Saints and Hull from last week's fixtures turn up then it could get messy. If Hull turn up to put a shift in then it should be a good game.

Still no Roby for Saints and possibly Smith out after his injury last week so would have no recognised hooker. Would be tempted to put Knowles there with Bentley coming on later. Can see Holbrook resting one or two given how tough that wire game was.

Looking forward to spending much of my Friday evening on the M62... Not...

Squads Announced:

St.Helens 19 man squad

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 10. Luke Thompson, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 18. Adam Swift, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote, 24. Matty Costello.

Hull FC 19 man squad

1. Jamie Shaul, 2. Bureta Faraimo, 3. Carlos Tuimavave, 4. Josh Griffin, 6. Albert Kelly, 7. Marc Sneyd, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 10. Josh Bowden, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Joe Westerman, 14. Jake Connor, 15. Chris Green, 20. Brad Fash, 21. Sika Manu, 23. Mickey Paea, 33. Ratu Naulago, 34. Gareth Ellis, 35. Andre Savelio.

Holbrook has already said Bentley will start at 9 in place of Aaron Smith and i'd guess we'll then see Ashworth return to the bench after being 18th man last week

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Squads Announced:

St.Helens 19 man squad

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 10. Luke Thompson, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook 15. Morgan Knowles, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 18. Adam Swift, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 22. James Bentley, 23. Lachlan Coote, 24. Matty Costello.

Hull FC 19 man squad

1. Jamie Shaul, 2. Bureta Faraimo, 3. Carlos Tuimavave, 4. Josh Griffin, 6. Albert Kelly, 7. Marc Sneyd, 8. Scott Taylor, 9. Danny Houghton, 10. Josh Bowden, 12. Mark Minichiello, 13. Joe Westerman, 14. Jake Connor, 15. Chris Green, 20. Brad Fash, 21. Sika Manu, 23. Mickey Paea, 33. Ratu Naulago, 34. Gareth Ellis, 35. Andre Savelio.

Holbrook has already said Bentley will start at 9 in place of Aaron Smith and i'd guess we'll then see Ashworth return to the bench after being 18th man last week

Not bringing any flares are you Toppy? ?

32 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Not bringing any flares are you Toppy? ?

No but he'll have his Tank Top on I bet ?

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

If we'd have rested a few for the HKR game when we had the short turnaround thus increasing the chances of winning that then those players would have been fully rested for this. As it is we've got the same scenario of a standard rest period after a tough encounter were players were clearly knackered, I can't see a few extra days making much impact on that sense.

Saints by 20 unless they rest a few more themselves in which case we might snatch a win and make the fans forget last week.

On 03/07/2019 at 11:27, Moove said:

Tough one to call. If the Saints and Hull from last week's fixtures turn up then it could get messy. If Hull turn up to put a shift in then it should be a good game.

Still no Roby for Saints and possibly Smith out after his injury last week so would have no recognised hooker. Would be tempted to put Knowles there with Bentley coming on later. Can see Holbrook resting one or two given how tough that wire game was.

Looking forward to spending much of my Friday evening on the M62... Not...

Hats off to you if you're braving it.

I hope they don't drop one of the regular Friday night closures on you on the way home.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I fancy us here.

Our form has been good of late despite a slightly disappointing showing last week. Ellis is back which always adds a bit of steel. Kelly back too. They hammered us early in the year and I think we will want to put a marker down and really take it to them.

If our mindset is right then there is no reason why we can't compete. And if Kelly, Connor etc. perform well then I know we can beat anyone.

Hull 28 v 22 Saints

On 03/07/2019 at 18:58, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

If we'd have rested a few for the HKR game when we had the short turnaround thus increasing the chances of winning that then those players would have been fully rested for this. As it is we've got the same scenario of a standard rest period after a tough encounter were players were clearly knackered, I can't see a few extra days making much impact on that sense.

Saints by 20 unless they rest a few more themselves in which case we might snatch a win and make the fans forget last week.

That makes no sense.

How would resting our better players have increased our chances? You'd have no doubt complained that we should have played our best players had we lost that still.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Looking forward to this, obviously with a large pinch of trepidation. I was at Langtree Park earlier on this season when we started like a house on fire, 0-10 up after about 8/9 mins. Then the Saints Fire Brigade turned up. ☹️

The Hull players will know what they have to do to win so shouldn't need much coaching (Eh Denton?), and I think we may be there or thereabouts at the end. Ellis and hopefully Kelly back is huge for us, as Roby missing will have an impact again for Saints.

Am rather hoping for a few controversial calls to go our way, as I'll be only two or three yards from where Justin Holbrook will be sat, so with a bit of luck I can bung a photo of his usual Paul Wellens/Angel of the North esque remonstrationing on here later.

Ullefsee 21 Sintellerns 20. 

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I did say a few weeks ago I was gonna stop predicting our games but whatever. I'm looking forward to the game and think it will be a decent contest. Confidence has been growing a bit through the week, especially after seeing the team. At the start of week I couldn't see past anything other than a battering but I figure I should be positive so... 

Hull by 44. ?

Have we ever rest players against Hull KR? Genuine question!

1 hour ago, Jarv said:

Have we ever rest players against Hull KR? Genuine question!

I've no idea but given the short turnaround and the fact that resting fatigued players to bring in fresh/eager players has worked for short turnaround games previously under Radford (and plenty elsewhere) with success and playing knackered players hasn't then it would have had a higher % of getting a win against Rovers where we looked absolutely shot. It would have also meant a significantly longer rest for niggles/fatigue  heading into the St.Helens game, again increasing the chances of a win.

Rotating players no matter what game it is should be a basic factor for a team sport that is physically draining, also player welfare should come into it as well, we all know how players that are carrying knocks and/or extremely fatigued after short turnarounds are more likely to get injured or exacerbate the original niggle. Losing the game in itself against Rovers wasn't ultimately that big a deal, similarly to when St.Helens rested their players against London, they took they chance to rest and lost the game, not because they rested players but because London outplayed them. However they had rested players for future fixtures, Radford should have taken the opportunity to  and gone with some of the fresher squad players who would have been more effective in any case.

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I did say a few weeks ago I was gonna stop predicting our games but whatever. I'm looking forward to the game and think it will be a decent contest. Confidence has been growing a bit through the week, especially after seeing the team. At the start of week I couldn't see past anything other than a battering but I figure I should be positive so... 

Hull by 44. ?

Wonder what odds you'd get for that, bookies would be tight as despite the probability of it happening, some of our very best performances in the last 20 years have been against Saints, that demolition in the 2005 semi of the CC was absolute pure gold. too many the other way though, let's hope it's at least close. I really wanted to get up for this one but had to settle for next Thursday against London. Think I should invest in a turbo charged bicycle ?

Why are you trying to use turnarounds as an excuse for a possible loss? You played last Thursday and Saints played Friday meaning Hull have had an extra days rest for this weeks fixtures.

The Saints V Wire game was played at a higher pace and intensity than the Hull derby, so if anything it’s Saints who should be the team most fatigued going into this game.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

25 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Why are you trying to use turnarounds as an excuse for a possible loss? You played last Thursday and Saints played Friday meaning Hull have had an extra days rest for this weeks fixtures.

The Saints V Wire game was played at a higher pace and intensity than the Hull derby, so if anything it’s Saints who should be the team most fatigued going into this game.

Oh ffs bother to read and digest, it's nothing to do with Saints!

I said we (Hull) should have rested some of our players for the HKR game giving us a better chance of victory (IMO), that resting fatigued players from a short turnaround (after the Catalans game to the HKR game, nothing to do with the Saints game!) over a longer period is better than playing them fatigued and then having a standard period of rest time (which does relate to the Saints game). This resting after a short turnaround (post Catalans) increases the chances of success in both fixtures.

You've totally missed the points I'm making because in your little world it's all about saints, it isn't, it's about strategies by coaches and their understanding of why rotating players is important both from getting the best out of players/thus results and also player welfare.

I actually further went on to explain that saints rested some against London, it wasn't an important game to win so worst case you lose but you still had rested players, playing fatigued players and still losing would have been worse case scenario, which is precisely what Radford did against HKR. Played fatigued players after a short turnaround and we still lost and the fatigued players don't get an extended rest.

Well this thread has turned out nice ?

On 04/07/2019 at 13:17, Ullman said:

Hats off to you if you're braving it.

I hope they don't drop one of the regular Friday night closures on you on the way home.

Looks like I'm stuck in work for another couple of hours so no M62 for me after all. WishFM and a few beers at home it is! COYS!

PS. Not sure why but every night we play Wakey away they always drop one of those closures in. Seem to have got away with it on other Yorkshire trips recently but it's like they're trying to trap people in Wakefield, eww...

4 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Think I should invest in a turbo charged bicycle ?

Think you should seek Ullman's advice.

0-4, Morgan Knowles.

0-6, Cooote.

0-10, Theo Fages 

0-12, Cooote.

We've hardly had the chuffing ball.

Archived