RFL Strategy - aims for 2019

Apologies if this has been shared before, don't think I have seen it here, but the RFL have shared its updated and refreshed strategy doc.

http://secure.rugby-league.com/ign_docs/RFL STRATEGY EXTERNAL.pdf

Section 7 has some interesting aims for 2019:

1 - Sale of Red Hall and Odsal

2 - Growing customer email base to 200k (from 127k)

3 - 75k+ at Wembley

Section 8 also shows that they have removed most of the Super League KPI's and added a few new ones. Seems pretty sensible.

I like it when they publish specific aims, it is easier to judge the success or failure this way.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting about the Red Hall sale. I know this has been mentioned before, but what is the end game for Odsal and Bradford Bulls home? 

Other interesting changes have been the removal of Challenge cup attendance KPIs bar the final - it seems they think it’s probably a lost cause outside the final (and perhaps semi). 

The other interesting change was the removal of academy KPIs, I’m not sure if this is simply something that has been removed as it is now a Super League matter 

3 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

How can they sell Odsal as it doesn't belong to them? Do they mean surrendering the lease back to the council?

Maybe they mean helping enable the sale of Odsal back to Bradford Bulls? Just guessing as like you say, what they've put in the document doesn't really make sense given they don't own it.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Apologies if this has been shared before, don't think I have seen it here, but the RFL have shared its updated and refreshed strategy doc.

3 - 75k+ at Wembley

Section 8 also shows that they have removed most of the Super League KPI's and added a few new ones. Seems pretty sensible.

I like it when they publish specific aims, it is easier to judge the success or failure this way.

That's a very small email database. I'd have hoped they would have more than double that. I wonder if they struggle to have full data sharing in host venues or lost a lot due to recent legislation. Also notable they plan to grow quite significantly. 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Other interesting changes have been the removal of Challenge cup attendance KPIs bar the final - it seems they think it’s probably a lost cause outside the final (and perhaps semi). 

I'm sure I read somewhere that the sixth round this year had its highest aggregate attendance for about 10 years.  Not sure how the quarter finals performed.

Not to say the Challenge Cup is in rude health, far from it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's just a small point but I wouldn't have called the document 'RFL Strategy External'... it makes you wonder what the internal version says!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 - 75k+ at Wembley

It was last modified on June 24. Presumably when Catalans got hammered out of the Challenge Cup, and Saints drew Halifax ?

21 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

That's a very small email database. I'd have hoped they would have more than double that. I wonder if they struggle to have full data sharing in host venues or lost a lot due to recent legislation. Also notable they plan to grow quite significantly. 

Yes, I suspect they have access to far more through partners, but it is a very modest contactable database.

But it is positive that they are looking to increase that. Clearly OurLeague has been a part of gathering customer data and engaging with them.

The introduction of GDPR last year may have reduced the database with consent now needed to retain data.

But it is worrying that the Rock's mailing list couldn't fill Wembley twice over. Any mailshors they send involve fishing in a very small pond!

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

75% win target for the Lions. 3/4. Why target to lose one?  

I think to be fair if we beat PNG, Tonga and NZ once (for the first time in a while in NZ) and lose one against the kiwis that would probably be seen as a success. That doesn't mean that they aren't aiming for 4 wins, but in things like this there needs to be an element of realism as you just end up with a report showing failure after failure when that isn't the real picture.

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

75% win target for the Lions. 3/4. Why target to lose one?  

Also: no legacy, audience or income target for the tour that I can see.

(Happy to be corrected.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

(Happy to be corrected.)

I think audience and income targets/expectations would be fair.

I am not sure that a touring team can set any legacy targets as legacy tends to be a local/host factor and this would require activity and follow up outside of the RFL scope of control.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think audience and income targets/expectations would be fair.

I am not sure that a touring team can set any legacy targets as legacy tends to be a local/host factor and this would require activity and follow up outside of the RFL scope of control.

well legacy for a touring side could be more "soft measures"... around the brand...

- around the ongoing interest in the team/uk touring side

- knowledge base sustained about the uk RL

- ongoing friendship/partner (schools, community clubs, etc ) or even sponsor connections. In order to raise profile for future tours from these islands... like twinned towns, schools, etc

any way with more thought better one;s could be identified 

I have to say my initial reaction is how underwhelming the strategy is and how wishy washy and meaningless much of it is. I'd also like to know how some of those targets stack up with how the game is currently doing in those areas.

27 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

(Happy to be corrected.)

To be fair, this report doesn't have the targets broken down - they do have:

Terrestrial Viewers

Subscription Viewers

OurLeague Viewers

targets, so I would assume they would come under there.

They also have Commercial Income, which should include this. 

15 minutes ago, redjonn said:

well legacy for a touring side could be more "soft measures"... around the brand...

- around the ongoing interest in the team/uk touring side

- knowledge base sustained about the uk RL

- ongoing friendship/partner (schools, community clubs, etc ) or even sponsor connections. In order to raise profile for future tours from these islands... like twinned towns, schools, etc

any way with more thought better one;s could be identified 

I'd expect to see those things form the part of any report into the delivery of the tour, absolutely. I'd expect the tour to have its own internal targets that the organisers are looking to hit, but these probably form part of the overarching Income and Viewers and Participation numbers.

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think to be fair if we beat PNG, Tonga and NZ once (for the first time in a while in NZ) and lose one against the kiwis that would probably be seen as a success. That doesn't mean that they aren't aiming for 4 wins, but in things like this there needs to be an element of realism as you just end up with a report showing failure after failure when that isn't the real picture.

It's daft to have a target in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

No mention how they are going advise clubs to raise their crowds.

Its clear that some clubs have no idea how to.

Is it the RFLs job to tell clubs how to increase crowds?

Archived