Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Sunday 7th July 2019

Another close game in prospect.Means nowt in Rugby but Leigh have beaten Sheffield by 4 points home and away this season in the League and we have beaten Sheffield quite easily both times we have played them.Don't think we were anywhere near our best when we beat them by 20 points last time as we gave away two soft tries.Just the half back position worries me hope whoever plays with Chissy they can take a bit of heat off him as he seems to have been well marked the last three games.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Watson Boas in Doncaster's squad for their game on Saturday so that seems to answer that question Doubt we see him in a Fev jersey again. 

Dagger?

Great news re Ben Reynolds - he is pure quality at championship level.

i am a big Tom Holmes fan but since his return from injury he has not yet regained his top form . The addition of Reynolds for Sunday makes our squad stronger than last week so confident we can bin Leigh.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/carr-names-leigh-19-man-squad-FBL86

The back line probably looks straightforward to predict...Golding, Dagger, Carey, Hardcastle, Briscoe, Reynolds, Chisholm.

If King is considered fully fit, perhaps Maskill to miss out and then one another.

If Golding plays for Leeds tonight then that might alter that line up!

11 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yes, but it would be strange for us to announce a line-up 8 hours before Leeds kick off that includes Golding if we thought he was playing for them tonight.

Looking at the Leeds line up there is no Walker and obviously no Lolohea who deputised in Walker's absence. Can't see any other obvious full back in their squad.

2 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Looking at the Leeds line up there is no Walker and obviously no Lolohea who deputised in Walker's absence. Can't see any other obvious full back in their squad.

I thought that when they named their squad but they might play Liam Sutcliffe at full back, and Agar was talking about making some late checks so maybe Walker has passed a fitness test since the squad was named?

Either way why would we name him in our squad if he's an intended player for Leeds tonight? I know it's now legal to play twice in one week (as with Luke Briscoe last year) but I'd be surprised if that happened.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I thought that when they named their squad but they might play Liam Sutcliffe at full back, and Agar was talking about making some late checks so maybe Walker has passed a fitness test since the squad was named?

Either way why would we name him in our squad if he's an intended player for Leeds tonight? I know it's now legal to play twice in one week (as with Luke Briscoe last year) but I'd be surprised if that happened.

Indeed. I suppose when we see Leeds trotting out tonight we will get a clearer indication.

Our 19 man squad:-

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/blog/2019/07/05/centurions-announce-19-man-squad-for-sundays-featherstone-game/

As expected, Douglas, Emmitt & Brooks back (plus McNally and Marsh) but no Brierley. (although he wasn't in the 19 for Sheffield last week, either?) It will be good (but not too good, hopefully) to see Ben Reynolds again. One thing's for sure, you will get 100% from him.

Two very good squads there, on paper. I hope we raise our game somewhat, after a couple of tired performances last week, but I still fancy home advantage will tip it your way.

One thing about the Reynolds announcement that I thought was worth noting, the quote from Carr.
It’s pleasing when players who are unfortunately not getting a game with their parent clubs want to come to us. It speaks volumes of the playing group that we have here and a good rap for all my staff that these players from other clubs want to come here. He had offers from other clubs and he asked to come to us.

News stories like this can sometimes have "fluff" quotes that don't mean much (or might have been made up), but this sounds legit and there does seem to be a feeling that Fev is a good place for players to play at the moment, as a fan this is always good to read.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/carr-names-leigh-19-man-squad-FBL86

The back line probably looks straightforward to predict...Golding, Dagger, Carey, Hardcastle, Briscoe, Reynolds, Chisholm.

If King is considered fully fit, perhaps Maskill to miss out and then one another.

PH,

I'd expect the back line to be as you outline above, though it has crossed my mind that we could go Golding, Carey, Walters, Hardcastle, Briscoe. So as to stiffen up our defence.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

2 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

PH,

I'd expect the back line to be as you outline above, though it has crossed my mind that we could go Golding, Carey, Walters, Hardcastle, Briscoe. So as to stiffen up our defence.

That's definitely possible, but without Davies we don't have another obvious right edge back row. I know Lockwood or Harrison could fill that role but they have both played their best rugby as middles lately imo.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

One thing about the Reynolds announcement that I thought was worth noting, the quote from Carr.
It’s pleasing when players who are unfortunately not getting a game with their parent clubs want to come to us. It speaks volumes of the playing group that we have here and a good rap for all my staff that these players from other clubs want to come here. He had offers from other clubs and he asked to come to us.

News stories like this can sometimes have "fluff" quotes that don't mean much (or might have been made up), but this sounds legit and there does seem to be a feeling that Fev is a good place for players to play at the moment, as a fan this is always good to read.

Yes. Quality coaching, good craic. What's not to like?

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

No Calum Turner.

Updates on JD and Teteh's fitness would be handy. They seem to make the 19 and then not get a game....

We have the full complement of 5 loanees/DRs so that excludes Turner, although of course he could have been picked instead of Golding or Dagger. FWIW I would prefer Golding at full back (though I like Turner) and probably Dagger on the wing.

Teteh played for the reserves at Halifax but we have a lot of competition in the threequarters now with Sutcliffe still to come back (I'm assuming he's unfit at the moment).

Not sure what JD's injury is. It's hard to know who is Carr's 1st choice at right edge 2nd row, he does speak very highly of Walters. I'm sure in a fans poll davies would win hands down but Walters has been good for us too.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We have the full complement of 5 loanees/DRs so that excludes Turner, although of course he could have been picked instead of Golding or Dagger. FWIW I would prefer Golding at full back (though I like Turner) and probably Dagger on the wing.

Teteh played for the reserves at Halifax but we have a lot of competition in the threequarters now with Sutcliffe still to come back (I'm assuming he's unfit at the moment).

Not sure what JD's injury is. It's hard to know who is Carr's 1st choice at right edge 2nd row, he does speak very highly of Walters. I'm sure in a fans poll davies would win hands down but Walters has been good for us too.

Yes, fair do's. Golding over Turner for sure, assuming he's not playing for Leeds. My surprise was that Loan players do seem to get proirity, yet we've got Albert up front, an area we are well off in, especially with Bussey back.

Render out in the cold.

I'd put Teteh back in there, though not necessarily v Leigh, just because I prefer Conor on the wing. Sutcliffe would be the best option. No news on his injury either.

Although Walters/Day is the preferred 2nd row combo (no argument from me with that whatsoever) you would have thought that JD was worth a bench spot at least, especially last week. So, I assume it's that hamstring injury from weeks back.

Archived