Whatever Happened to Springfield Borough ?

Just on Youtube looking for this week's Forty 20 podcast , when a video suggestion thingy appears at the side - a BBC feature on Springfield Borough , presented by a young Eddie Hemmings .

If resurrected the club could provide a juicy local three-way derby fixture with Leigh and the other club !

It's a long and convoluted tale!  Springfield Borough played at Wigan Athletic's Springfield Park, hence the Springfield part of the name.  They had played as Blackpool Borough from their admission to the Rugby League in 1954 until a combination of factors forced them to leave the seaside in 1987 and they relocated to Wigan.

History repeated itself and they were forced to leave Springfield Park.  They relocated again to Victory Park, Chorley and played as Chorley Borough for a season before unbelievably moving again to Altrincham as Trafford Borough.  An offshoot of the original Chorley club stayed behind, however, continuing the Chorley Borough name until they were kicked out of the professional game altogether.

To complicate it even more, there was a later reincarnation as Lancashire Lynx playing at Preston North End's Deepdale ground and even later as Blackpool Gladiators, playing, I think, at Fylde RU for a while.  

They went out of the game for the last time early in the 2000s but, believe it or not, there was a meeting recently with a view to forming a new professional club in Blackpool!!

Hope this helps.  I need a lie down now!!

Went to watch them a few times when they didn't clash with Wigan's game. Good set of supporters.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

14 minutes ago, Padge said:

Went to watch them a few times when they didn't clash with Wigan's game. Good set of supporters.

A good few die-hard supporters from Blackpool continued to follow the club, running coaches from the resort to both 'home' and away matches.  They stuck with the Borough until the relocation to Altrincham when they decided to stay behind and support the second Chorley club.  They produced a fanzine called The Tangerine Dream, of which I still have a few copies, and gave great support to Chorley Borough. They were always a good-humoured bunch and had a long-running good relationship with a similar bunch of Swinton fans in those days with whom they enjoyed many a liquid afternoon!

Thanks for the memories Essai machine (great name by the way)

I followed Lancashire Lynx when they played in Preston and they had a couple of decent seasons and played some attractive Rugby as I recall. Highlight for me was seeing the great Paul Sironen play for Villeneuve against the Lynx in some bizarre lower league Anglo-French tournament.

I could never understand why they chose the name Lancashire. Although I am a proud Lancastrian surely to build a club it needs a bit more of a specific identity......Preston Panthers or such like would have created a bigger profile in the town. Most Prestonians didn't even know they had a professional RL team. The stay at Deepdale was short lived and the Lynx ended their days playing at Preston Grasshoppers kick and clap club

I am a RL expansionist but there's expansion to be done on the doorstep of the heartlands as well 

1 hour ago, CmonTheBorough said:

It's a long and convoluted tale!  Springfield Borough played at Wigan Athletic's Springfield Park, hence the Springfield part of the name.  They had played as Blackpool Borough from their admission to the Rugby League in 1954 until a combination of factors forced them to leave the seaside in 1987 and they relocated to Wigan.

History repeated itself and they were forced to leave Springfield Park.  They relocated again to Victory Park, Chorley and played as Chorley Borough for a season before unbelievably moving again to Altrincham as Trafford Borough.  An offshoot of the original Chorley club stayed behind, however, continuing the Chorley Borough name until they were kicked out of the professional game altogether.

To complicate it even more, there was a later reincarnation as Lancashire Lynx playing at Preston North End's Deepdale ground and even later as Blackpool Gladiators, playing, I think, at Fylde RU for a while.  

They went out of the game for the last time early in the 2000s but, believe it or not, there was a meeting recently with a view to forming a new professional club in Blackpool!!

Hope this helps.  I need a lie down now!!

Don't forget Chorley Chieftans and Chorley Lynx! I followed all the Chorley/Preston versions as my 2nd team and have some very enjoyable memories of the club in all its guises. Was very a sad moment when they finally folded for good

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorley_Lynx

On the plus side there is now a growing amateur club, Chorley Panthers who are developing year on year. They were recently awarded significant funding of around £180000 from Sport England and the RFL 2021 legacy fund to build a licenced clubhouse and facilities which will be a huge boost to the club.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2304522099623603&id=780137052062123&anchor_composer=false

Another disastrous attempt at starting a new club!! Although there was also a London Highfield in the 30s I think. They lasted two years or so. 

Also a disaster  Kent/Southend Invicta! Didn t they get 83 spectators at one game?

42 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Don't forget Chorley Chieftans and Chorley Lynx! I followed all the Chorley/Preston versions as my 2nd team and have some very enjoyable memories of the club in all its guises. Was very a sad moment when they finally folded for good

On the plus side there is now a growing amateur club, Chorley Panthers who are developing year on year. They were recently awarded significant funding of around £180000 from Sport England and the RFL 2021 legacy fund to build a licenced clubhouse and facilities which will be a huge boost to the club.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2304522099623603&id=780137052062123&anchor_composer=false

I used to write a programme column in the last 2 seasons at Victory Park 2003+2004. Happy days indeed.

46 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

I followed Lancashire Lynx when they played in Preston and they had a couple of decent seasons and played some attractive Rugby as I recall. Highlight for me was seeing the great Paul Sironen play for Villeneuve against the Lynx in some bizarre lower league Anglo-French tournament.

I could never understand why they chose the name Lancashire. 

I am a RL expansionist but there's expansion to be done on the doorstep of the heartlands as well 

I went to that Le Tornoi(?) game in 1998 and remember Paul Sironen.

9 minutes ago, clifford said:

Blackpool Gladiators, playing, I think, at Fylde RU for a while. 

They played at Blackpool mechanics fc

Blackpool Panthers played at couple of seasons at Fylde RU in Lytham St Anne's after a spell at Bloomfield Road....was sorry to see them fold. One day hopefully Blackpool can rise again

2 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I went to that Le Tornoi(?) game in 1998 and remember Paul Sironen.

It was called something like that possibly the Treize Tournoi. Seem to remember the Lynx giving them a heck of a fright and losing the two leg final on aggregate. Was great to see Sironen play , although well past his best by then

There was a TRL meet up at Chorley for a Challenge Cup game when they were drawn against Moscow (stand to be corrected on the opposition).

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

14 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

Blackpool Panthers played at couple of seasons at Fylde RU in Lytham St Anne's after a spell at Bloomfield Road....was sorry to see them fold. One day hopefully Blackpool can rise again

28 minutes ago, clifford said:

Blackpool Gladiators, playing, I think, at Fylde RU for a while. 

They played at Blackpool mechanics fc

Thanks folks.  Even more convoluted than I remember it!

My only memory of Chorley was when York lost by one point there in 2004. Their big lad at centre dropped the goal from inside his own half.

I have vague recollections of my uncle scoring a few tries for Donny in a 96-0 win over Highfield in 1993/4 too - I were only knee high to a grasshopper then though!

17 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Locomotive Moscow 2004?

Checked it out,  6-feb-2004, Chorley 54 - 6 Locomotive Moscow, attendance 521, the 21 were probably the TRL contingent.

Lee won the Golden Gamble and we convinced him he had won a £1,000, it was really £100. He couldn't wait to get his hand on the cheque and the came back to us really disappointed.

Lancs Lynx also played at Chorley. Think their last pro game, as Chorley, was at the old Horwich RMI fc ground, versus Nottingham? 

To be fair it is confusing. Maybe someone should write a book about it!

2 hours ago, Treize Hombres said:

The game is still alive in the town at an amateur level, Blackpool Stanley play in NW division 5.

4 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The game is still alive in the town at an amateur level, Blackpool Stanley play in NW division 5.

Thanks..will have to take a look at them....I also believe there is a Blackpool Masters team. Don't know if Blackpool Scorpions are still going though.

21 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

Thanks..will have to take a look at them....I also believe there is a Blackpool Masters team. Don't know if Blackpool Scorpions are still going though.

Bloody hell, forgot all about the Scorpions! They are going pretty well and have a junior set up as well as open age, play a mile or so from where I work. They have got a player on the Lionhearts tour to Jamaica at present.

17 hours ago, Treize Hombres said:

I could never understand why they chose the name Lancashire. Although I am a proud Lancastrian surely to build a club it needs a bit more of a specific identity......Preston Panthers or such like would have created a bigger profile in the town. Most Prestonians didn't even know they had a professional RL team. The stay at Deepdale was short lived and the Lynx ended their days playing at Preston Grasshoppers kick and clap club

I went to that game it was at Preston Grasshoppers pretty certain it was the final 

Archived