personalised number plates

12 hours ago, Skids said:

Why hide the age of the car?

Because I’m one of those weak-minded people who worries about others’ perception of me, and I’ve somehow convinced myself that if I keep my car smart and polished with a personalised reg it feels like I’m driving a brand new one.

For anyone who knows about psychology I’m a high ‘C’ on the DISC scale, and It’s all made a bit worse by the fact that I’m surrounded in my line of work by those fortunate enough to come from money. This means that means they drive much nicer cars than I do (for example two guys have Aston Martins) and they like to talk about fancy cars too, a subject I know very little about ? Since I have nothing to show off, making my little 2016 Qashqai look as nice as I can makes me feel a little better when I pull up in the car park ?

Maybe not all people with personalised plates are t**ts?   My missus is a super caring mother and wife and I’ve got her a plate that represents her name and makes her car look a bit newer too.   There’s nothing wrong with that surely? ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough, a younger me travelling up North for away games from London on the motorway would see various cars go past and I would always say I would get a Porsche and get my initials (which is 4 letters, 2 middle names, not a double barreled surname!) and 51 (or another number) and pretend that there had been 51 cars before that one. ?

55 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Because I’m one of those weak-minded people who worries about others’ perception of me, and I’ve somehow convinced myself that if I keep my car smart and polished with a personalised reg it feels like I’m driving a brand new one.

For anyone who knows about psychology I’m a high ‘C’ on the DISC scale, and It’s all made a bit worse by the fact that I’m surrounded in my line of work by those fortunate enough to come from money. This means that means they drive much nicer cars than I do (for example two guys have Aston Martins) and they like to talk about fancy cars too, a subject I know very little about ? Since I have nothing to show off, making my little 2016 Qashqai look as nice as I can makes me feel a little better when I pull up in the car park ?

Maybe not all people with personalised plates are t**ts?   My missus is a super caring mother and wife and I’ve got her a plate that represents her name and makes her car look a bit newer too.   There’s nothing wrong with that surely? ?

I think you almost summed up your own problem, I think a lot of the time, we can worry about things like having a new car, etc. because of the people that we are around. If we are surrounded by people where money doesn't mean much, and they are constantly buying new cars or phones, etc. then we feel forced to join in on that, or then we become the outsider and it is noticeable. I don't think it is weak-minded to not want to stand out in a crowd, and to be able to fit in with those around.

Other people don't have that issue  if they aren't in those kind of crowds. Personally, I have a driving licence but I have driven once since I learned 5 years ago - There is no pressure from my current group to own any car let alone an expensive or new one.

3 minutes ago, Click said:

Other people don't have that issue  if they aren't in those kind of crowds.

That’s very true.   Unfortunately I can only remove myself from that crowd when outside of work.   Something for me to work on though!

2 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Not all people with private plates are t**ts, that I totally agree with. Its just, in my opinion, they are more likely to be a ###### than those without. 

It's a shame you are so bothered what other people think of you, but if that's something to do with your personality then so be it.

Personally I couldn't give a s**t what other people think about the age of my car and for that matter, any other shallow opinions they may have.

34 minutes ago, Skids said:

Not all people with private plates are t**ts, that I totally agree with. Its just, in my opinion, they are more likely to be a ###### than those without. 

It's a shame you are so bothered what other people think of you, but if that's something to do with your personality then so be it.

Personally I couldn't give a s**t what other people think about the age of my car and for that matter, any other shallow opinions they may have.

I think its great that you are able to feel that way - I think sometimes the problems mainly arise is like with Cheshire, its the perception and image that has to be maintained because of the circles he is in due to work. I imagine if they look down at the car he drives then they would start to look down on him and not treat him as an equal business partner for no logical or reasonable reason.

So I think it can be sometimes a bit to do with someones personality, and then enforced by their surroundings as well.

Always made me laugh when Ballotelli was at Man City doing his crazy stuff like giving out cash to ' tramps ' and setting off fireworks in his bathroom , they showed him driving up in his car but always blurred out the numberplate so nobody knew it was him , except he was driving a camoflauged Bentley coupe ? , like they are ten a penny around Manchester 

I guess my surname FE11 OWS must exist, I've no idea how much it would be and I'm not interested other than wondering whether it's a better investment than the stock market.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

A few years ago I saw W1 GRL on a car in St Albans, slightly altered to make in WIG RL. Always wondered if it was a fan or players car.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

On 14/03/2020 at 14:17, tim2 said:

I guess my surname FE11 OWS must exist, I've no idea how much it would be and I'm not interested other than wondering whether it's a better investment than the stock market.

graham?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

graham?

No, I did see him last month though and he signed a CD as "Graham - no relation"

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 04/07/2019 at 23:23, SSoutherner said:

Until he died i used to regularly see Paul Daniel's with his MAG 1 C plate locally

Hmm, I used to see Paul Daniel's in Uxbridge, where I lived for 20 years (God preserve me).

The only Plate I ever cherished was on a Bentley that nearly run me over on the Western Road around Heathrow. DAV1D

Archived