Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lobbygobbler

Rugby League just mentioned on The Last Leg

Recommended Posts

I'm  not a huge fan of the last leg, or the strangely desperate attitude we take to being mentioned on tv

I do wonder though why we arent the most available sport in the world, ready to have our players on.

Our players should be everywhere all the time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm  not a huge fan of the last leg, or the strangely desperate attitude we take to being mentioned on tv

I do wonder though why we arent the most available sport in the world, ready to have our players on.

Our players should be everywhere all the time

There needs to be a reason for them to be on.

Big international games help (see you in 2 years time), along with a Russell Crowe film or any sort of extraordinary event so maybe Westerman sticking his knee back in to place last week. There was a certain amount of publicity around Keegan Hirst when he first came out but quite rightly that was a private matter for him and wasn’t something for the game to try and make mileage out of.

The PDRL sort of thing is something that should be all over the place where possible though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Damien said:

What was the mention?

A  sh ity  one next!

Edited by Oxford

  " I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sport really is clutching at straws when a thread is created, announcing that the sport was a side mention on a comedy show, supposedly as a sign of increasing profile. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The sport really is clutching at straws when a thread is created, announcing that the sport was a side mention on a comedy show, supposedly as a sign of increasing profile. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Netball has a bigger media presence than RL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The sport really is clutching at straws

It always is and pointing it out helps too!

6 hours ago, soulboy said:

........   has a bigger media presence than RL.

Fill in as applicable.

 

I think until the last show the point was TGG had positive mentions which was two steps up from the norm! I won't insult the person who made the clearly derogatory comment because I leave that sort of thing to others.


  " I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/07/2019 at 22:39, Leyther_Matt said:

There needs to be a reason for them to be on.

Big international games help (see you in 2 years time), along with a Russell Crowe film or any sort of extraordinary event so maybe Westerman sticking his knee back in to place last week. There was a certain amount of publicity around Keegan Hirst when he first came out but quite rightly that was a private matter for him and wasn’t something for the game to try and make mileage out of.

The PDRL sort of thing is something that should be all over the place where possible though.  

Have to say I was disappointed that Westerman putting his knee back didn't get the coverage it deserved , fully expected it to be on BBC Breakfast time the following morning just to make Louise or Nagga wince and Dan laugh at the soon to be returning ' Namby Pamby ' football players 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Have to say I was disappointed that Westerman putting his knee back didn't get the coverage it deserved , fully expected it to be on BBC Breakfast time the following morning just to make Louise or Nagga wince and Dan laugh at the soon to be returning ' Namby Pamby ' football players 

The best maybe is if we can get Russell Crow put his kneecap back in.

I do also continue to wonder if we ought try to actually hang draw and quarter Mel Gibson for real. That's nothing to do with anything to do with RL.  Just to make be feel better...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I do also continue to wonder if we ought try to actually hang draw and quarter Mel Gibson for real. That's nothing to do with anything to do with RL.  Just to make be feel better...

I’m with you all the way but only if we can swap Alan Carr/Lenny Henry for Gibson.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I’m with you all the way but only if we can swap Alan Carr/Lenny Henry for Gibson.

Well yes, but Jimmy Carr really.  To be honest there is a long list after good old Mel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Well yes, but Jimmy Carr really.  To be honest there is a long list after good old Mel...

Jimmy Carr????


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Have to say I was disappointed that Westerman putting his knee back didn't get the coverage it deserved , fully expected it to be on BBC Breakfast time the following morning just to make Louise or Nagga wince and Dan laugh at the soon to be returning ' Namby Pamby ' football players 

Saw it covered on Deadspin, US sports site.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Hills is a huge League fan and plays disability RL for Warrington. He seldom misses an opportunity to mention the sport.

 


And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Stan Doffarf said:

Adam Hills is a huge League fan and plays disability RL for Warrington. He seldom misses an opportunity to mention the sport.

 

Have to say, despite the posts at the top of this thread I think this is a good thing.

He never misses an opportunity to showcase how skilful and tough Rugby League is as a sport and yet somehow Rugby League fans see this as a negative. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Have to say, despite the posts at the top of this thread I think this is a good thing.

He never misses an opportunity to showcase how skilful and tough Rugby League is as a sport and yet somehow Rugby League fans see this as a negative. 

Couldn't agree more the only negative was the guest comment.

Adam is almost a one man crusade or appears that way because of our game's place in the UK.

 


  " I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, soulboy said:

Netball has a bigger media presence than RL.

looking forward to the world cup...

on both the BBC (free to air broadcast partner)  and Sky (as the pay broadcast partner).... 

Lots of coverage....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redjonn said:

looking forward to the world cup...

on both the BBC (free to air broadcast partner)  and Sky (as the pay broadcast partner).... 

Lots of coverage....

 

 

Yeah, me too!


  " I ain't no saint and I don't pretend to be,  But I hope you all found a friend in me."   Steve Forbert       

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not be a popular opinion, but RL needs to catch up on todays media/social media world!

Central funding a few years ago was aimed at great rugby players and to keep them in the UK.  While that is good, you actually need to find a couple of good looking young lads( and lasses) who compete at higher end of the sport.  You spend money media training them ( eg Danny Walker) and you roll them out at every media/photo/letter opening  opportunity  (that's the central funding) and let social media take its course!

Girls ( and some boys) want to marry them, boys want to be him, men wish they had been him, women regret missing the opportunity and vice versa for female rugby.

Constantly putting forward 40/50 year old "icons" who struggle to make a sentence and no one outside RL know, is not the image the sport should be projecting.  I know it is cynical, but that is how life now is.  We either accept that or die!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kiyan said:

Might not be a popular opinion, but RL needs to catch up on todays media/social media world!

Central funding a few years ago was aimed at great rugby players and to keep them in the UK.  While that is good, you actually need to find a couple of good looking young lads( and lasses) who compete at higher end of the sport.  You spend money media training them ( eg Danny Walker) and you roll them out at every media/photo/letter opening  opportunity  (that's the central funding) and let social media take its course!

Consistency - you use the same people for everything and then people recognise them and soon after the sport and if that happens sponsors follow! ( for both players and teams)

Girls ( and some boys) want to marry them, boys want to be him, men wish they had been him, women regret missing the opportunity and vice versa for female rugby.

Constantly putting forward 40/50 year old "icons" who struggle to make a sentence and no one outside RL know, is not the image the sport should be projecting.  I know it is cynical, but that is how life now is.  We either accept that or die!

(BTW - I picked Danny Walker as an example because I remember how well he handled the media as a lad thrown into the Widnes first team!  He handled the press better than most that day and he was 17/18(?) and he looks better than most on a picture!")

 

Edited by kiyan
DW reason added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...