Old grounds and greyhound racing

This may interest some of you who like memorabilia on old rl ground. greyhoundracingtimes.co.uk . It's a site about long lost greyhound stadiums (another interest of mine)

If you search some of the old tracks there are quite a few old photographs of the old rl grounds. One even shows a game being played at liverpool Stanley.

Take a bit of sorting through but some interesting stuff.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I think Wembley used to be used for Greyhound racing 

True me and my mate bought one which was owned by Captain Marcos Lemos a Greek shipping magnate,who later owned a string of racehorses.We paid 130 guineas for the greyhound  and he went on to win 82 races flapping.I was never skint in those days.

Yes Wembley was massive for greyhound racing. Initially a grass track around the pitch, which was later replaced by sand.

Oldham', rochdale,  Blackpool,(2) liverpool ,Halifax, hunslet (2) ,hull and hull kr. All feature  with old photos

Sheffield eagles also started life at dog track and workington had dog track adjacent to ground

2 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes Wembley was massive for greyhound racing. Initially a grass track around the pitch, which was later replaced by sand.

Oldham', rochdale,  Blackpool,(2) liverpool ,Halifax, hunslet (2) ,hull and hull kr. All feature  with old photos

Sheffield eagles also started life at dog track and workington had dog track adjacent to ground

I think Doncaster first started out at a Greyhound Stadium. Also White City in London had been used for RL and GR.

50 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I think Doncaster first started out at a Greyhound Stadium. Also White City in London had been used for RL and GR.

Yes you are correct Doncaster did play at the old dog track. Also I believe a GB international was played at white city.

Did streatham and mitchum also play at a dog track during their brief flirtation with rl ?

5 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes you are correct Doncaster did play at the old dog track. Also I believe a GB international was played at white city.

Did streatham and mitchum also play at a dog track during their brief flirtation with rl ?

I believe it was Wigan Highfield who relocated to White City and changed their name to London Highfield. It didn't last long, and they moved again, this time to Liverpool and became Liverpool Stanley.

Borough Park, Blackpool, had a dog track round it. Could be wrong, but I think it still operated for a while after the club left.

Owlerton Stadium was the Sheffield Eagles venue mentioned above.

In the 1940's, greyhound racing was the 2nd most popular spectator "sport" in the UK, second only to soccer. It's in danger of extinction these days though due to numerous issues including major animal welfare problems. Although its image has been improved, much of it driven by online gambling companies, it still might easily disappear entirely.

2 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

A World Cup game was played at white city in 1966, because of a greyhound meeting at Wembley that night. 

4 minutes ago, kev p said:

A World Cup game was played at white city in 1966, because of a greyhound meeting at Wembley that night. 

Yes, the site talks about this. It was France vs Uruguay.

Could you even imagine such a thing happening today? Unthinkable. Just shows how what a massive thing Greyhound Racing was back in the day...

I wonder if any of the 'athletic' grounds that hosted rugby league in the early days such as the Boulevard had cycle racing on them? Cycle racing on outdoor athletic tracks was fairly widespread across the country including the North so it wouldn't surprise me if that did occur. Obviously greyhound and speedway racing is very much linked historically to RL stadia, there was even a limited overs cricket game at the Boulevard with some of the Windies national team playing a 'rest of the world' side.

36 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

I wonder if any of the 'athletic' grounds that hosted rugby league in the early days such as the Boulevard had cycle racing on them? Cycle racing on outdoor athletic tracks was fairly widespread across the country including the North so it wouldn't surprise me if that did occur. Obviously greyhound and speedway racing is very much linked historically to RL stadia, there was even a limited overs cricket game at the Boulevard with some of the Windies national team playing a 'rest of the world' side.

Rochdale's old ground was called the Athletic Grounds and was used for Greyhounds, Stock Cars and Speedway. Odsal used to have Stock Cars and Speedway as well. Also The Shay, before Halifax RL moved in Helsinki Speedway. Didn't the Boulevard and or Hull KR's current ground have Speedway?

Archived