Been reading an article that the whole sport is facing turbulent times ahead in the UK.

Basically it seems like there’s going to be less money going into it than previously due to the knock on effects of changes in the law on gambling and a cut in the monies received for broadcasting rights.

Any Racing fans know anything more about these issues?

Must admit I like a weekly £11 Yankee on four of the Saturday ITV races myself although I wouldn’t claim to have any expertise on picking winners.

Racing has made it`s own problems . Firstly , far too much racing , most of it 2nd class rubbish for little prize money .Secondly and most importantly moving a lot of it`s big meetings towards the weekends which attracts stag and hen days out and gangs of drunks who just want a day on the ###### as opposed to watch an actual sporting event .Thirdly meetings when there is a music act on afterwards , if you want to go and see the racing you still have to pay a large entrance fee even if you don`t want to see the particular act . A lot of people i know don`t go to the local track anymore because of some of the above , and of course the low standard of catering and high price of drinks in the bar .Racecourses these days are looking to maximise profits by enticing the wrong type of customers whilst treating the actual racing as a bye product .

It's not a great day out for the reasons covered above - and it's now much, much easier to bet on pretty much anything else that you're more likely to be informed about than about horse racing which has too many bum races and not enough openness. (For e.g., I'm a fairly regular 25p better on Bet365 but it's handball, NCAA football and in-play soccer and cricket.)

So that's going to make it hard to get crowds in, or generate much 'betting' interest from outside.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy the races, but its not something I do more than a couple of times a year, enjoyed a couple of Race/Gig Friday nights, so probably puts me in the crowd the hardcore race goers could do with out!

I don't go more often because of the choice on offer from other activities, factor in weekends camping away with the kids, watching football, rugby league, cricket, futsal, ice hockey and music gigs there's just so much choice that none get attended week in week out as there just isn't time.

Got involved with a betting syndicate a few years ago, that was good fun, but fell apart as to many of the lads couldn't help but bet on things left right and centre so they never turned a profit, rather than following just the syndicate bets that turned a decent profit month in month out.

12 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I've been racing a few times, last one was Ladies day at Royal Ascot.

Most of the crowd seemed to be scrap metal dealers and pole dancers on a day out. It was vile. 

Doesn't sound too bad tbh...

I've been twice. More than ten years ago. Once to a flat meeting at Catterick, in July on a budget of a fiver per race, I dropped thirty quid on a six race afternoon.  The races seemed to be over in flash.  I don't mind losing if I get some entertainment for my money but this was just like a fruit machine. It was over so quickly.

So I went to Haydock Park in January Jump racing which at least lasted longer.   It was cold and rainy, but we were undercover, and on the same budget, by the fifth race I'd dropped twenty five quid.  On the last race I backed an outsider at 16-1 and won eighty quid and my money back eighty-five.  But it wasn't my idea of fun really, Never been again. Not much of a gambler.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The big race meetings are far too busy, with too much queueing for food and drink and too many king for the day drunks.

With regard to TV, it's a difficult sport to televise and hold the attention of viewers, with short bursts of racing action and lots of padding and time filling in between. The TV companies aren't going to pay a fortune for the rights for racing because of this.

• 3 weeks later...

ENABLE the superstar mare takes the Yorkshire Oaks.Ready for the  3 rd ARC.What a horse!!!

Her finish to races is fantastic . 10 or 12 furlongs she powers away , off whatever pace . Prince Khalid has her right after Frankel , not bad !

Archived