life below super league

Currently there's 25 teams playing at semi pro level . Is there any plans to increase this ? I would like to see seven new teams added if possible to form two leagues of 16 . . I like the grand finals day its a great day out . I would move it to Headingley or Huddersfield though . I also use to like the National rail cup . I would like to see it return . If we could get two leagues of 16 , I would have a knock out cup for Championship league and a separate one for league one teams with double header final.  With grand finals we can jiggle the league fixture structure so we don't have to play 30 rounds .   I would scrap summer bash in favour of double header cup finals day . I don't think there's any legs I the 1895 with playing mid week .

Chief Crazy Eagle

I've always been a fan of further growth and expansion in the UK. 

IMO the RFL should have a strategic vision for locations it wants to establish new teams at the head of an amateur pyramid. For me these should be Bristol/South West England, Gloucester, South and East London, Manchester, a West Midlands/Birmingham team and an East Midlands club in England. Beyond that I'd look to help the WRL by having a Cardiff based team, the SRL by having a Glasgow/Edinburgh based team, and a team in either Dublin or Belfast (or Both). Not all these teams have to be Super League challengers in 5 years, but even if they grow to the size of a Hemel for example they can be a great focal point for the game in that area. Regardless whether you agree with the locations or not I'd find it hard for anyone to disagree these areas outside of the heartland don't benefit from a semi pro hub.

Aside from these places, there's plenty to consolidate and strengthen on the M62. Particularly focussing on facilities and awareness of existing clubs to enhance the comp as a whole.

Or even better, dual code clubs if they ever want to offer themselves as an alternative to football. All year round rugby club, similar resources and certainly same infrastructure its certainly something I'm very surprised no Union club has looked at in the places you mention. Its a no brainer for me. I know it's done on an amateur level in a lot of places.

19 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I would like to be served breakfast in bed by Angelina Jolie but it ain’t going to happen...

I’d like to be in bed with Angelina Jolie ... sod breakfast

7 hours ago, TheConductor said:

I would offer the Rugby Union clubs in limbo in Scotland and Wales to cross over and have a chance of promotion etc with the likes of Hawick, Melrose, Neath, Pontybridd, Ebbw Vale etc

Wishful thinking, but these are very old clubs with roots in their communities for over a century. They are located in small towns with little commercial prospects, there is zero chance of them crossing over.

Keep pumping kids into the system at the under 11's age group.

Watch them grow into Open Age.

As long as we keep filling (and increasing the numbers) from the bottom, everything else will take care of itself. 

How much money does 25 'semi-pro' rugby teams cost? As a guestimate, lets say you are looking at paying about 25 players a week for about 30 weeks a year which gives us 750 pay packets. How much would a semi-pro get as an average (including bonuses etc) - £150pw?

That would be £112,500 to find just for player salaries. On top of that there will be coaches, physios, food, kit, travel, insurance etc. Maybe another £50k per team per season?

So costs per season, per team could be £160,000+?

x25 teams = £4m

22 hours ago, Jblake said:

Or even better, dual code clubs if they ever want to offer themselves as an alternative to football. All year round rugby club, similar resources and certainly same infrastructure its certainly something I'm very surprised no Union club has looked at in the places you mention. Its a no brainer for me. I know it's done on an amateur level in a lot of places.

RU clubs get crowds of about 500 at level 3 of the pyramid. How many do you think would turn up to watch RL on the same pitch?!

I have not been on the forums for a few days so I just logged into this thread because life below Super Greed is my passion, and concerns me. However, after reading the first couple of lines, particularly the "I would like to see 7 new teams" part, I am dismissing as yet another fantasy thread. The game below Super Greed is failing miserably and nobody, apart from the few genuine enthusiasts of those clubs, cares!

On 08/07/2019 at 17:33, Stevoh said:

How much money does 25 'semi-pro' rugby teams cost? As a guestimate, lets say you are looking at paying about 25 players a week for about 30 weeks a year which gives us 750 pay packets. How much would a semi-pro get as an average (including bonuses etc) - £150pw?

That would be £112,500 to find just for player salaries. On top of that there will be coaches, physios, food, kit, travel, insurance etc. Maybe another £50k per team per season?

So costs per season, per team could be £160,000+?

x25 teams = £4m

At League 1 level. Probably triple that for mid table championship. 

17 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I have not been on the forums for a few days so I just logged into this thread because life below Super Greed is my passion, and concerns me. However, after reading the first couple of lines, particularly the "I would like to see 7 new teams" part, I am dismissing as yet another fantasy thread. The game below Super Greed is failing miserably and nobody, apart from the few genuine enthusiasts of those clubs, cares!

Your probably right its only what I would like to see . But there is constant talk on here about new teams like Manchester Rangers , Ottawa and Liverpool  so that's possibly 28 teams . I would be happy with two leagues of 12 below super league but would be sad to lose a club .

Chief Crazy Eagle

4 hours ago, superten said:

Your probably right its only what I would like to see . But there is constant talk on here about new teams like Manchester Rangers , Ottawa and Liverpool  so that's possibly 28 teams . I would be happy with two leagues of 12 below super league but would be sad to lose a club .

I would love to see it too mate, but it just isn't going to happen. I always try to support new teams and used to go to places like Blackpool, Prescot, Chorley and Runcorn as often as I could. Even though I live in Salford I used to follow Celtic Crusaders home and away and only missed about 5 games during their existence. I travel all over the Country watching amateur teams too. Believe me, as much as I wish i was wrong, there just isn't the interest in RL. Where do you think the players will come from for new teams? League 1 has already been diluted to the point where it is more amateur than the NCL premier division. Manchester Rangers don't exist ant more at open age level and there is almost zero interest in Liverpool. Add up the total attendances at RL matches every weekend then add to that the number of people who take part in amateur RL every week. Include the people who have some interest in the game but only go casually and you have no more than, if I am being very kind 350,000 people out of the Country's population that have some interest. Whilst I believe that RL is the greatest sport there is - it still very much a minority sport.

We have neglected the development of participation in Rugby League for over a hundred years.

Bob Brown, of Hemel Hempstead started his club in virgin territory about 40 odd years ago, with nothing more than a love of the game and a belief based on a simple piece of logic.

If Rugby League is a great game (let alone ''the greatest game'') then it must be possible to promote it, to any unbiased group of people, anywhere on the planet.

He acted consistent with his beliefs and has been putting his money and his effort behind his belief ever since and has built a thriving amateur club almost entirely on his own (and his members efforts).

The rest of the game, uses the phrase ''the greatest game'' but acts as if its impossible to promote it to any newcomers.

This is a contradiction in terms.

Either its the greatest game, so it can be promoted anywhere, or if it can't be promoted then its not a very good game at all.

Why don't we act consistently with our beliefs? Many will argue that we do, but it hasn't worked.

Well I say we've been expending our energies at the wrong end of the spectrum. We should find and encourage, more (many more) Bob Browns and build our game from the ground up all over the country. With growing participation will come higher standards, more spectators, more backers, more television subscribers, more sponsors more every blo ody thing. Yes it takes time, decades, generations even, ask Bob Brown.

But not doing it (for over a hundred years) in a world full of opportunity for our young people leads to inevitable decline. This is what we are reaping now. The scant harvest produced when the number of seeds cast is reduced each year. What do you/ we expect?

It's like the car-boot sale entrepreneur who dreams of getting rich and is shocked to discover one day that his wardrobe is empty! 

I'm not into a put a pin in a map strategy. What I'd like is for the RL to declare entry criteria for new amateur or semi-pro clubs based on whether they are GB based or further afield. If you meet the criteria you're in. We'll sort out number of divisons or conferences for the amateurs to suit the number of clubs.

I'd like a cup competition for the semi-pro clubs. The equivalent of the Johnstones Paint in soccer with the potential for a big day out.

I'd also like an international structure that recognises the semi-pro and amateur games. With the Championship / League 1 / French Elite there are clubs based in England, Wales and France (further down the French league structure I think there is a Italian team playing too isn't there?). Using stricter eligibility rules than full internationals lets have a tri-nations of semi-pro players.

On 12/07/2019 at 10:23, scotchy1 said:

I really fear for it over the next 4/5 years but the changes it needs to make will never be made while it is run by a small group of certain lower league clubs who want nothing more than to not be part of the lower league

Shock! Horror! Teams in the second tier of a sport aspire to the top tier... who would have thought it?

Seriously, this is why the game below SL needs a strong, vibrant, energetic, visionary governing body to run it. Instead we have the weak RFL, constantly getting pulled this way and that by vested interests. Unfortunately, that's not going to change any time soon, certainly not while Ralph Rimmer is in charge.

I still think it's fine for clubs to aspire to be promoted to the top level though. What we need is a comprehensive et of criteria that are required to join the top tier, whilst also having a strong governance to create a vibrant second (or maybe third, fourth etc) tier.

We're actually not doing very well at either of those things right now. SL doesn't seem to know how to frame criteria for those clubs wishing to move up (finding criteria that doesn't immediately condemn some of the current occupants being a major problem), whilst the lower league clubs are becoming increasingly embarrassing in some of the things they are saying and doing (my own club chairman being one the key proponents, sadly...)

Archived