Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
superten

life below super league

I'm not into a put a pin in a map strategy. What I'd like is for the RL to declare entry criteria for new amateur or semi-pro clubs based on whether they are GB based or further afield. If you meet the criteria you're in. We'll sort out number of divisons or conferences for the amateurs to suit the number of clubs.

I'd like a cup competition for the semi-pro clubs. The equivalent of the Johnstones Paint in soccer with the potential for a big day out.

I'd also like an international structure that recognises the semi-pro and amateur games. With the Championship / League 1 / French Elite there are clubs based in England, Wales and France (further down the French league structure I think there is a Italian team playing too isn't there?). Using stricter eligibility rules than full internationals lets have a tri-nations of semi-pro players.

On 06/07/2019 at 22:27, Clogiron said:

Can I ask one question, where's the money coming from to pay for this?

It starts with separating from SKY. The lower tiers need to get their heads together to find an alternative.

Once released from the chains, they will thrive.

• Confused 1

RL below SL is killing itself and blaming SL for it. 

I really fear for it over the next 4/5 years but the changes it needs to make will never be made while it is run by a small group of certain lower league clubs who want nothing more than to not be part of the lower league

Edited by scotchy1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

RL below SL is killing itself and blaming SL for it. 

I really fear for it over the next 4/5 years but the changes it needs to make will never be made while it is run by a small group of certain lower league clubs who want nothing more than to not be part of the lower league

By the looks of things SL are blaming the lower tiers. Cost cutting is now the last resort.

Time for change.. 

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

By the looks of things SL are blaming the lower tiers. Cost cutting is now the last resort.

Time for change.. 

We have change. More is now expected of the lower leagues that simply to suckle on the SL teat

• Sad 1

On 12/07/2019 at 10:23, scotchy1 said:

Shock! Horror! Teams in the second tier of a sport aspire to the top tier... who would have thought it?

Seriously, this is why the game below SL needs a strong, vibrant, energetic, visionary governing body to run it. Instead we have the weak RFL, constantly getting pulled this way and that by vested interests. Unfortunately, that's not going to change any time soon, certainly not while Ralph Rimmer is in charge.

I still think it's fine for clubs to aspire to be promoted to the top level though. What we need is a comprehensive et of criteria that are required to join the top tier, whilst also having a strong governance to create a vibrant second (or maybe third, fourth etc) tier.

We're actually not doing very well at either of those things right now. SL doesn't seem to know how to frame criteria for those clubs wishing to move up (finding criteria that doesn't immediately condemn some of the current occupants being a major problem), whilst the lower league clubs are becoming increasingly embarrassing in some of the things they are saying and doing (my own club chairman being one the key proponents, sadly...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

We have change. More is now expected of the lower leagues that simply to suckle on the SL teat

Whilst SL suckle from the Sky teat..  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Don't know what they would do if they had that money source stopped.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

I would love to see it happen and find out? All of a sudden the Swinton's and Batley's of this world, who have learned to live within their means would probably be beating the current crop of Super Greed clubs after they lose their mercenaries.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

We would see another structure change...

22 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Shock! Horror! Teams in the second tier of a sport aspire to the top tier... who would have thought it?

Seriously, this is why the game below SL needs a strong, vibrant, energetic, visionary governing body to run it. Instead we have the weak RFL, constantly getting pulled this way and that by vested interests. Unfortunately, that's not going to change any time soon, certainly not while Ralph Rimmer is in charge.

I still think it's fine for clubs to aspire to be promoted to the top level though. What we need is a comprehensive et of criteria that are required to join the top tier, whilst also having a strong governance to create a vibrant second (or maybe third, fourth etc) tier.

We're actually not doing very well at either of those things right now. SL doesn't seem to know how to frame criteria for those clubs wishing to move up (finding criteria that doesn't immediately condemn some of the current occupants being a major problem), whilst the lower league clubs are becoming increasingly embarrassing in some of the things they are saying and doing (my own club chairman being one the key proponents, sadly...)

My point wasnt that clubs shouldn't have aspiration, more that the aspiration for a few clubs to spend a small amount of time in SL disproportionately affects the running of the lower leagues

We are almost a quarter of a century in to SL and most lower league clubs haven't played in it. Most are nowhere near. Many how have played in it have played in it for 1 or 2 years out of the 24 years it has existed. 

For almost all lower league clubs, almost all of the time, super league isnt a consideration. Yet promotion to it is, for a large part of the game the be all and end all of the lower leagues existence. There is no point without Promotion to SL.

That misdirected focus has led to the absolute disaster of a competition the championship is. 

21 hours ago, SL17 said:

Sl has a product to sell, it sells it. 

It's not SL's fault nobody wants to buy what the championship is selling.

On 13/07/2019 at 12:29, scotchy1 said:

A slightly disturbing choice of metaphor.

In addition,  the use of a metaphor is more likely to obfuscate than elucidate any point you are trying to make. Might help to say what you really think. Though it won’t help me: I won’t be reading it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

My point wasnt that clubs shouldn't have aspiration, more that the aspiration for a few clubs to spend a small amount of time in SL disproportionately affects the running of the lower leagues

We are almost a quarter of a century in to SL and most lower league clubs haven't played in it. Most are nowhere near. Many how have played in it have played in it for 1 or 2 years out of the 24 years it has existed. 

For almost all lower league clubs, almost all of the time, super league isnt a consideration. Yet promotion to it is, for a large part of the game the be all and end all of the lower leagues existence. There is no point without Promotion to SL.

That misdirected focus has led to the absolute disaster of a competition the championship is. 

While your conclusion has merit , until SL is ' super ' don't expect that focus to change 

11 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

This post hasn't aged well.

Let's see what comes of it first, a rumour of some interest isnt really something to bet the house on