Which clubs would bounce back from relegation? And which wouldn't?

A £500k parachute payment doesn't go very far for a full time operation. Which clubs (who are in danger) are set up to absorb the impact, and who is really going to struggle? The last 2 clubs to go have hit serious troubles. However, Leigh are still competitive at the top end of the table after consolidation.

I suppose a few factors are involved around which clubs could cope better than others. Not easy to judge, and for some it is benefactors continuing to put cash in.

London will struggle when they come down. A load of their team leaving, only the worst full time players left available for them and then only a fraction of those will be willing to move down to London. It will probably take them 3 or 4 years I would think to rebuild and maybe have another push.

Giants would manage easily and be at the top of the table and the same goes for Leeds. Hull KR have recent experience of how to handle it and they should also cope.

It just depends on how much each team would have to invest. Leeds and KR’s crowds would hold up no problem, London’s can’t really go down much more and I don’t know about Huddersfield - it’s a shame they play in such a big stadium. 

London have done it before and are capable of doing it again especially if they hold onto Danny Ward

Hull KR similarly have been there n done that recently, I think Tony Smith would be up for the challenge & Hudgell will bankroll the campaign 

Leeds would ensure it was no more than one season outside the top tier by running a  SL quality squad and would storm the Championship

Huddersfield would retain most of their squad but cut out some deadwood high earners, Ken Davy would ensure they bounced straight back

Salford would struggle financially, their attendance would fall and under a fans cooperative I’m not sure where they’d find the finances to compete at the top of the Championship

Wakefield like Salford, don’t have the fan base to fund a top Championship squad, Carter has already stated he’d walk if they go down and he hasn’t got the money anyway. They’d be competitive might flirt with the top of the table but wouldn’t challenge for promotion.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

London have done it before and are capable of doing it again especially if they hold onto Danny Ward

Hull KR similarly have been there n done that recently, I think Tony Smith would be up for the challenge & Hudgell will bankroll the campaign 

Leeds would ensure it was no more than one season outside the top tier by running a  SL quality squad and would storm the Championship

Huddersfield would retain most of their squad but cut out some deadwood high earners, Ken Davy would ensure they bounced straight back

Salford would struggle financially, their attendance would fall and under a fans cooperative I’m not sure where they’d find the finances to compete at the top of the Championship

Wakefield like Salford, don’t have the fan base to fund a top Championship squad, Carter has already stated he’d walk if they go down and he hasn’t got the money anyway. They’d be competitive might flirt with the top of the table but wouldn’t challenge for promotion.

Pretty much like a Featherstone or a Halifax then.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Not really, as long as whomever is promoted does not spend way beyond their means, the fans enjoy the ride and they use the sky money to sign players with the aim of significantly strengthening their squad to avoid 12th place,  using contracts with clause in event of relegation giving player option to leave or accept reduced wages. 

Will be interesting to see the championship next season if all SL clubs are required to run reserves next season a number of the fringe SL championship players may well be playing in that competition rather than the championship which would weaken the championship. Guess only time will tell.

If its London (I personally think it will be) then I suspect they'll look to consolidate. They won't be throwing a ton of cash at players - they haven't even done that this season - and many of the their better players will be leaving anyway, so they will need to re-build. If they do go down, expect them to be consolidating with young, home-grown players for a few seasons.

Leeds, Hull KR or Huddersfield would be fine, and bounce straight back with their resources and backing. They'd keep full-time squads and most of their current players.

The ones who'd really struggle would be Salford or Wakefield. Fortunately for them - unfortunately for others lol - they are probably going to avoid relegation, having got enough points in the bag, and will presumably win a few more games and be safe.

5 hours ago, OMEGA said:

While I think this is true, in a format with playoffs and a Gand Final to determine a winner, a team only needs to lose one game in the whole season and they could still fail to secure promotion. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, OMEGA said:

yep!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

17 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Salford .......... Fortunately for them - unfortunately for others lol - they are probably going to avoid relegation, having got enough points in the bag, and will presumably win a few more games and be safe.

If they have and they do ...... not convinced after Giants performance.

I don't believe SRD would ever come back from another relegation.

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

If they have and they do ...... not convinced after Giants performance.

I don't believe SRD would ever come back from another relegation.

I agree. London would need to win three more games than Salford (taking the points difference into account) over the rest of the season, and I just don't think they will.

Sooner or later Salford are going to be unable to confound all the predictions of doom! If Toronto do come up, they'd have to be favourites for relegation next season without Lui, Hastings, Jones etc etc.

8 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I agree. London would need to win three more games than Salford (taking the points difference into account) over the rest of the season, and I just don't think they will.

Sooner or later Salford are going to be unable to confound all the predictions of doom! If Toronto do come up, they'd have to be favourites for relegation next season without Lui, Hastings, Jones etc etc.

That just about sums it all up, Paul. I'm sure they'll sign some good players but those you mentioned do make the difference in quality or at least they did before their minds went elsewhere.

And next year we can all look forward to a clear difference between the top and bttom halves of SL like we were previously used to.

London were written off last year when senior players left & they got promotion with a number of Academy products coming through. They were written off this year as no hopers, but are still in the fight. The 1st team squad is full time & rumours are the reserves are being set up along with adapting to the changes to the new academy/scholarship requirements of SL. So whatever happens this year the long term stability & growth of the club will continue, funded by the owner (to a similar level I guess ) based on his stated aim of bringing local london lads through. I don’t know if they would get straight back up 1st time, but I believe the club would survive and continue to establish itself & grow. (It’s not as quick as many fans would like, but without a new mega rich owner willing to take over & willing spend a lot more, I am very satisfied with David Hughes significant financial backing to keeping RL alive down south.)

Realistically, if we exclude Torontos funding stream, how many current championship teams would be able to finance a full time 1st team squad? (Widnes have already said they are going part time.)

It will be interesting to see what SL do about ‘reserves/academy/scholarship’ being compulsory in regards to Salford & Toronto - not a pop at either of those teams as on the pitch they have both had a great year and deserve their current success. However can both put in place the necessary structures for reserves/academy/scholarship in time for next year? And can Salford fund it without Marwan?

Its imperative SL make a statement about the reserves/academy/scholarship changes ASAP.

5 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

Always wish Huddersfield had there own smaller stadium like a AJ Bell but not out the way.

Yeah I wish Salford did too!

40 minutes ago, meast said:

So do a lot of Huddersfield fans!

There's one over the hill in Halifax, if you can share a Hospital why not a Rugby League team, probably get better crowds there too?

Just jesting?

Do Huddersfield Town own the ground, or the council? When there’s a Sky game there (or at Salford) I often can barely be arsed to watch because it looks so bad with all the empty seats. Cas and Wakey get stick for their old grounds but I’d rather see that, on tv at least. 

16 hours ago, TheConductor said:

Always wish Huddersfield had there own smaller stadium like a AJ Bell but not out the way.

Could call it the AJ CowBell.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived