Are York SL ready?

Madrednige, 

You would have thought so but did you not see the edition of Who wants to be a millionaire a fair few years ago when the question was "which sports game does Geoff Boycott play" Out of the sports named the player did not have a clue and took the money he had earned.Now I,as a big cricket fan thought everybody in the country would know that, but no, he did not.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Scubby, never thought of that but you are probably correct,either that or Pauls idea of dispensation,but how can that be fair, if Toronto need dispensation then surely York should have the same dispensation,or any other club from the Championship.

The problem is that for the last decade we have allowed rules, regulations and structures to slide that much that no one has anything to measure things by any longer. We have teams playing on park pitches with no comeback, teams allowed to run out with 13 or 14 players in the second tier of professional RL and no recourse. Grounds that were deemed not fit for SL 10-15 years ago, still operating in SL.

The whole thing is a mess which means it is almost impossible to single out one club over another for not "complying" with regulations.

Just now, fairfolly said:

Madrednige, 

You would have thought so but did you not see the edition of Who wants to be a millionaire a fair few years ago when the question was "which sports game does Geoff Boycott play" Out of the sports named the player did not have a clue and took the money he had earned.Now I,as a big cricket fan thought everybody in the country would know that, but no, he did not.

Yes, but if that person professed to be a cricket fan and couldn't answer it, you'd be surprised.

Someone who professes to be a Hull FC fan living in York not knowing about a rugby league team in that very city (despite the fact that his side had signed players from them over the years) either isn't much of a Hull FC fan or is lying.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

4 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Madrednige, 

Not quite the same though

Apparently we have someone who claims to be a fan of Hull FC who claims that they'd never heard of York City Knights. I mean, do we really have so-called 'fans' who don't actually pay any attention to the opposition teams?

Or do some fans of Hull FC literally think that the other 11 Super League clubs are the ONLY other teams in existence?

You would certainly think this Hull fan would certainly heard of York RL but as far as knowing where they played that is quite plausible. I have been a player,supporter and fan of R.L. since 1950. Now I know there is a R.L.team in Sheffield but all I know of them is that they play on a park pitch but I have actually no idea where they play in Sheffield. Do not even know the area so if I had to go there I would have great difficulty in finding the ground because at least 95% of people in the town would not even know they had a team.

Fairfolly, I think I'm probably with you - I couldn't tell you where exactly Sheffield play even if you put a gun to my head. That said there is Google ? 

But my point is that I have actually heard of Sheffield Eagles. I do know that there is a team in Sheffield! This guy claims to not know that York even has a team, despite being a 'fan' of another Rugby League team

Just to clarify, this guy had spent 30 odd years as a traffic officer before going self employed as a van driving instructor, very nice guy and seemed intelligent, but admitted he didn’t follow the sport outside of SL. Lived in Hull and just came across here to do tests so you can see how he might not be aware of York RL.

I think you’d all be surprised. I talk now and again to a few mates I used to go to Cas matches with, I’ll tell them I’m going to Swinton or Oldham and they’ll say ‘oh I didn’t know they still had a team’ or something similar. I think in SL fans are so engrossed in following their team that they don’t realise there are some teams outside of the top tier with great potential. 

On a similar note I’d be hard pressed to tell you much about the amateur scene. I know of a few clubs (York Acorn, Cas Lock Lane) and that’s about it.

2 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

Just to clarify, this guy had spent 30 odd years as a traffic officer before going self employed as a van driving instructor, very nice guy and seemed intelligent, but admitted he didn’t follow the sport outside of SL. Lived in Hull and just came across here to do tests so you can see how he might not be aware of York RL.

I think you’d all be surprised. I talk now and again to a few mates I used to go to Cas matches with, I’ll tell them I’m going to Swinton or Oldham and they’ll say ‘oh I didn’t know they still had a team’ or something similar. I think in SL fans are so engrossed in following their team that they don’t realise there are some teams outside of the top tier with great potential. 

On a similar note I’d be hard pressed to tell you much about the amateur scene. I know of a few clubs (York Acorn, Cas Lock Lane) and that’s about it.

I’m still finding it hard to believe that someone is that blinkered.

rldfsignature.jpg

12 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It's hard to believe isn't it.

Obviously my experience has broadened with us having been in the Championship and League 1 these last few seasons, but I'd like to think I did at least know about the other teams existence even when we were up at the top of Super League.

16 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's hard to believe isn't it.

Obviously my experience has broadened with us having been in the Championship and League 1 these last few seasons, but I'd like to think I did at least know about the other teams existence even when we were up at the top of Super League.

I bet he only knows there’s a team in east Hull because they are in the SL.

rldfsignature.jpg

7 hours ago, fairfolly said:

As I stated both clubs are to be commended on trying their best to entice more support. York have far more chance than Sheffield for the simple reason that York have basically had a R.L. for decades indeed at one time they were one of the better teams in the Comp. especially when they played a Clarence St. Unfortunately the bigger teams came calling and enticed many of their better players away to Leeds, Bradford and the like.I do not pretend to know what went wrong with the club but they fell on hard times ,lost a lot of their support and find it hard to get them back,along with the rest of R.L. by the way.As for Sheffield they have never been a R.L. City, never had a strong base of support and now when the game is struggling to survive will never be able to attract new support. I would wager that 95% of the Sheffield population do not know there is a R.L. club and those that do have no idea where they play now that the Major sports Arena in Sheffield is not available to them.Indeed I am a R.L. supporter through and through, a patriotic Yorkshireman and I now have no idea where they play or in which area of Sheffield their ground is.

give away a bottle of Hendo's at the home games and their soon know about Sheffield RL...

SL ready or not they’ve done amazingly well . From where they were a couple of preseasons ago , to getting  promotion and being second in a ultra competitive , harder league is staggering .

46 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Me too because surely fans read ALL the results in whatever media they read. And didn't Hull duel reg with York(, or was it Hull kr?) 

20 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Me too because surely fans read ALL the results in whatever media they read. And didn't Hull duel reg with York(, or was it Hull kr?) 

About 4 years ago the Knights did D/R with Hull and last year we were with Rovers, last year on my hols I was talking to a Saints fan, he had never heard of Batley I said where do you think Walmsley came from, local amateur he said,  says it all really.

15 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

There has always been a decent relationship between York and Hull FC pro and pre DR.  Some ended up at HKR if they didn’t make it.

Some excellent players have come from York Clubs in the past, but the amateur scene is not what it was.  Hopefully the foundation work can help and imo the new stadium certainly could.

Just now, spanishknight said:

About 4 years ago the Knights did D/R with Hull and last year we were with Rovers, last year on my hols I was talking to a Saints fan, he had never heard of Batley I said whee do you think Walmsley came from, local amateur he said,  says it all really.

It beggers belief it really does. 

One of my workmates has watched Wigan for the past 15 years and knows absolutely nothing about rugby outside of SL

He's never heard of the likes of York, Featherstone or Workington and this is despite me giving him my copy of League Express every week.

In fact he hasn't twigged that I don't even support Wigan 

Some people truly are blinkered 

23 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

One of my workmates has watched Wigan for the past 15 years and knows absolutely nothing about rugby outside of SL

He's never heard of the likes of York, Featherstone or Workington and this is despite me giving him my copy of League Express every week.

Happens more than you'd think. Was chatting to a KR fan a few years ago in Bridlington  (before they got relegated). He noticed my shirt and asked if it was an old one, cos he thought clubs like Fev no longer existed.

There are young Rhinos in Ponte who ask why I'm wearing a Lions shirt (It's a Rovers shirt), cos they have no idea there's a pro club a mile and a half away.

Despite Fev's decent marketing output, we need to up our game.

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I honestly don’t believe this. 

You don't have to but....

He's not from a traditional RL area and lives in Southport. He is only interested in his chosen team and Super League. He wouldn't even know who Wigan St Pat's are 

There are people out there who just like to follow successful teams and wear the replica shirts 

18 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

For someone who follows a RL club it is hard to believe I agree but as to the public at large it's easy to undestand, we don't appear in the dying newspapers of this age, we're hidden away on pay TV mainly, we've no player's with any profile, if a advert contains something pertaining to rugby it's the other lot because ad agencies don't know we exsist.

Year's ago it used to be said to a town or city to have a football team was invaluable because it got the name mentioned once a week on TV in the football results, in the national papers and on the pools coupons seen by millions, we, at least used to get the results on grandstand and that was the only way some people had heard of places like Leigh, Whitehaven,Dewsbury or Keighley, even if no one could pronounce it properly!

Time's change and now we're invisible, lucky to get a mention on even local TV. Elstone is or was going to change all that.

I won't hold my breath.............

Archived