Are York SL ready?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Couple of indicators (for what they're worth):

York v Leeds, Challenge Cup @ Bootham Crescent, January 1989 - 11,347.

York v Fulham, Division Two championship decider @ Wigginton Road, March 1981 - 7,351.

(York's all-time record, @ Wigginton Road, is 14,631 - v Swinton, Challenge Cup, February 1934. Record @ Ryedale Stadium was 4,977 - v Halifax, January 1990)

6,000, for a competitive Super League club, playing at a modern stadium, in a city away fans love to visit, isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

More recently, 3,081 vs Catalans, 2,518 & 2,608 vs Toronto (who bring no away fans...) and 4,221 vs Bradford.

1 minute ago, Gav Wilson said:

3,223 against Whitehaven too (when we lifted the League 1 trophy) ? 

I'm starting to think I go only to the big games! As a York resident for 10 years, with a casual interest in the rugby league club, I pick and choose my matches - maybe five a season. I'd certainly go more often if York were playing Super League opposition. Simply more appealing.

19 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

I'm starting to think I go only to the big games! As a York resident for 10 years, with a casual interest in the rugby league club, I pick and choose my matches - maybe five a season. I'd certainly go more often if York were playing Super League opposition. Simply more appealing.

I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one mate!

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

And yet 2 of them were relegated and I would think the 3rd one will be relegated at the end of this season.

hull kr stayed up after promotion.leigh were relegated when they wasnt bottom of the table.london remain to be seen

14 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Didn,t H.K.R lose the million pound game a few years ago and get relegated.I seem to remember a G. O,Brien drop goal winning the game with H.K.R being relegated.

yes but then they got promoted and stayed up 

York do have the potential to be a Super League club. They have come a long way in a short time but with the board sensibly only willing to spend what they have they are going to have an injection of cash to be able to step up to the next level and compete in Super League, so improving the club off field is the next thing to do. It's going to be difficult to grow the fan base as it has been mentioned earlier on this thread about how it is a struggle to get people to take an interest in RL, I have found that people who are predominantly RL fans will follow football and people who are predominantly football fans have zero interest in RL but with York and the surrounding areas there must be people who might be tempted to give RL a go.

I don't get the sudden love in and stroking over York, they have potential, of course they do, a lot of clubs do, but why the bigging up of York over the last couple of years? Surely after almost going bust and having to play in front of a few hundred diehards at an amateur ground we should be letting them grow naturally and not trying to make out they're some sort of "Uber superclub" .

I've nothing against York and would love to see them in SL and of course,go as a visiting fan, albeit to another out of town flatpack ground, but they are no different to many other clubs IMO

1 hour ago, meast said:

I don't get the sudden love in and stroking over York, they have potential, of course they do, a lot of clubs do, but why the bigging up of York over the last couple of years? Surely after almost going bust and having to play in front of a few hundred diehards at an amateur ground we should be letting them grow naturally and not trying to make out they're some sort of "Uber superclub" .

I've nothing against York and would love to see them in SL and of course,go as a visiting fan, albeit to another out of town flatpack ground, but they are no different to many other clubs IMO

York have put some effort into being able to compete in the Championship this year.  Very competitive, hard league it is too.

They might not have a strong enough depth to the Club right now but they’re going in the right direction.

I can’t think of a single reason why an RL fan wouldn’t want to consider travelling to one of the best places to live and visit in the Country.

Cowbell free zone as well.

1 hour ago, meast said:

Why the bigging up of York over the last couple of years?

Probably because of the speed at which they've got to where they are now, competitive in the second tier, with decent attendances, from playing in front of 400 on an amateur club's ground. By any measure, it's good progress.

Disregarding Toronto and Toulouse, how many clubs in Championship and League One could say they have York's potential (new stadium, huge catchment, reasonable amateur rugby league base, a tradition in the sport, good size population)? Bradford, Newcastle and Sheffield? The rest (Coventry and possibly Doncaster excepted) are small town clubs, either hemmed in by bigger rivals along the M62 corridor or marooned on the Cumbria coast.

15 hours ago, meast said:

for me they offer something fresh, a new area but not one that is too far out to be a stretch to think it could work. They have a vibe about them and IMHO seem to be doing it right in looking at who they are wanting to attract and why those people are going to want to go. 

Out of town flatpack to some is a clean, safe and modern surrounding to another. 

Someone like York I can see as the future ahead of some of the other towns clubs with old grounds that they arent capable/prepared to develop who offer a game of Rl and only a game of RL.

15 hours ago, Hopping Mad said:

Probably because of the speed at which they've got to where they are now, competitive in the second tier, with decent attendances, from playing in front of 400 on an amateur club's ground. By any measure, it's good progress.

Disregarding Toronto and Toulouse, how many clubs in Championship and League One could say they have York's potential (new stadium, huge catchment, reasonable amateur rugby league base, a tradition in the sport, good size population)? Bradford, Newcastle and Sheffield? The rest (Coventry and possibly Doncaster excepted) are small town clubs, either hemmed in by bigger rivals along the M62 corridor or marooned on the Cumbria coast.

I think this issue of 'crowd potential' due to the population of a place is a bit of a distraction.  Wherever a club is located, there will be major conurbations all around them, from which they could potentially draw a crowd.  I appreciate that other clubs being close by can dilute the potential, but Wigan and Leigh, for example are in the same town and both have had healthy crowds simultaneously, almost certainly not all of those fans lived within 3 miles of the ground of either club, but within 10, 15 or even 20 miles.

6 hours ago, Tubby said:

I think this issue of 'crowd potential' due to the population of a place is a bit of a distraction.  Wherever a club is located, there will be major conurbations all around them, from which they could potentially draw a crowd.  I appreciate that other clubs being close by can dilute the potential, but Wigan and Leigh, for example are in the same town and both have had healthy crowds simultaneously, almost certainly not all of those fans lived within 3 miles of the ground of either club, but within 10, 15 or even 20 miles.

The problem is in York and where I live, Selby (which is about 14 or so miles south) is you'll see plenty of Leeds and Castleford supporters walking about, I've even seen a Widnes shirt milling about Tesco, however I hardly ever see anyone wearing a York shirt. So how do you tackle people living in York but supporting Leeds or Cas? Not sure of the answer myself, people will support who they want to support.

16 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

The problem is in York and where I live, Selby (which is about 14 or so miles south) is you'll see plenty of Leeds and Castleford supporters walking about, I've even seen a Widnes shirt milling about Tesco, however I hardly ever see anyone wearing a York shirt. So how do you tackle people living in York but supporting Leeds or Cas? Not sure of the answer myself, people will support who they want to support.

I'd suggest you probably offer the "something more than just rl" so you get them along for the afternoon etc. Then they just enjoy the time they are there.. you dont need them to be their first love but buy tickets, food etc at the grounds. 

Too much emphasis is on converting then to be fans.. nope just attendees of a great occasion. Maybe they swap down the line but that isnt the be all.and end all as long as they are coming along. 

Any expansion area will have this type of issue but once they see a local team and they can watch a good level there AND have a great time they can be converted to regular attendees. People often have a team they fully support and one they quite like or have a soft spot for. 

Just to add my 2 pennies, the fascination with York is how far they’ve come and the fact it’s only the start, it’s not like York have reached a peak.

From crowds of 400 ish to now averaging just short of 2,000 in a run down stadium. I see no reason why the club can’t average 3,000 once in the new ground.

Ok so that’s nothing amazing, plenty clubs have turned things around but York have done it while sticking to a tight budget. Granted there are some ex SL players in the side but it’s not like money has been flashed around buying big name ex NRL players. Most are just solid ex SL players (Horne, Cockayne etc).

Also some clubs go down the cheap season ticket route to increase attendances. I’m glad York haven’t done that. Any club can double their crowds by slashing season tickets to £50 but York have managed it (and more) through clever marketing. 

Lastly allowing U16s in for free is a great idea, would be easy to cash in and start charging U16s in the new stadium but York aren’t. There’s plenty kids at York games now (plus I’ve seen a few wearing Knights gear in the city). 

I’m not saying everything is great at York, there are still areas which need a lot of work but it all bodes well for the future. 

Archived