Are York SL ready?

17 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

The problem is in York and where I live, Selby (which is about 14 or so miles south) is you'll see plenty of Leeds and Castleford supporters walking about, I've even seen a Widnes shirt milling about Tesco, however I hardly ever see anyone wearing a York shirt. So how do you tackle people living in York but supporting Leeds or Cas? Not sure of the answer myself, people will support who they want to support.

That's pretty much my point, catchment areas aren't quite as clear cut as some would suggest.  My mother lives in Selby too and she's a Featherstone fan.  Her husband (originally from York) is a York fan.  Although since they're both elderly, neither attend games any more.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also live in Selby and I see fans of all most every Yorkshire club wearing their shirts round town, even met a Swinton fan wearing his who lives in Selby, people move about because of jobs but they will always support their team, they wont start watching the nearest team to where they now live, I know I wouldnt.

R.P.

I do not know if it still the case in Australia but when I was there you got basically a full days entertaiment, the Academy game, the Reserve game then the Premier game. More often than not all against the same club.If, as proposed next season the S.L. clubs have to have a reserve team and an academy maybe S.L. can try to follow the same .In hindsight probably it is much to sensible for them to think along those lines.A weekly programme was also available for all games each weekend with all squads to be named in the programme.Again a simple but sensible idea.But no doubt some clubs would be against it.

2 hours ago, spanishknight said:

I also live in Selby and I see fans of all most every Yorkshire club wearing their shirts round town, even met a Swinton fan wearing his who lives in Selby, people move about because of jobs but they will always support their team, they wont start watching the nearest team to where they now live, I know I wouldnt.

Well, exactly. 

I live in Leeds now, but I'd cut my own head off before I switched to the Rhinos. In fact, I make a point of wearing Bulls tops around Leeds just to rub it in all the more ?

Think you would find that a Clubs fan base is usually made up of people from an area or who have ties to an area but have moved or the parents were/are fans. I know people who were born in Halifax and follow Bradford/Huddersfield/Leeds etc because their parents were/are from there for example. I know Halifax has fans in Canada, China, Devon, Oxford, London etc who have moved there. No doubt this is the same for most Clubs including York.

Social Media is just as an important development for me as going out to Schools, Clubs etc in a Catchment area. Many young people with ties to an area use Social Media and is a way to inform them of whats going on. A number of these people may return to the Catchment area or think next I am in the Catchment area I will watch Team A and Rugby League IF its promoted right by a Club.

22 hours ago, YCKonstantine said:

The problem is in York and where I live, Selby (which is about 14 or so miles south) is you'll see plenty of Leeds and Castleford supporters walking about, I've even seen a Widnes shirt milling about Tesco, however I hardly ever see anyone wearing a York shirt. So how do you tackle people living in York but supporting Leeds or Cas? Not sure of the answer myself, people will support who they want to support.

Selby isn't the only area that York could target, it's such an accessible area. Tadcaster and Sherburn are ever growing areas that would be great areas to target. 

I'm sure York has a strategy to cover these 3 areas. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

13 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

Selby isn't the only area that York could target, it's such an accessible area. Tadcaster and Sherburn are ever growing areas that would be great areas to target. 

I'm sure York has a strategy to cover these 3 areas. 

Of course, just using Selby as I live here and see people wearing other shirts. Don't know what they wear in Tadcaster or Sherburn haha that streets might be awash with black and yellow for all I know!

On 12/07/2019 at 11:30, fairfolly said:

R.P.

I do not know if it still the case in Australia but when I was there you got basically a full days entertaiment, the Academy game, the Reserve game then the Premier game. More often than not all against the same club.If, as proposed next season the S.L. clubs have to have a reserve team and an academy maybe S.L. can try to follow the same .In hindsight probably it is much to sensible for them to think along those lines.A weekly programme was also available for all games each weekend with all squads to be named in the programme.Again a simple but sensible idea.But no doubt some clubs would be against it.

Yes I remember the same when I was out there travelling. 

Pits not just the rugby though it’s also about the other entertainment that can be on offer for those that may not be 100% into the rugby. It’s dependent on the land you have around the ground but loads of stuff for kids etc that could be done. Keep people at the ground afterwards as well rather than a final whistle and everyone leaves. Very much horses for courses and no two grounds should/would be the same. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Yes I remember the same when I was out there travelling. 

Pits not just the rugby though it’s also about the other entertainment that can be on offer for those that may not be 100% into the rugby. It’s dependent on the land you have around the ground but loads of stuff for kids etc that could be done. Keep people at the ground afterwards as well rather than a final whistle and everyone leaves. Very much horses for courses and no two grounds should/would be the same. 

Isn't that what Bradford did when S.L. started make it an experience. 

On 13/07/2019 at 14:07, spanishknight said:

Isn't that what Bradford did when S.L. started make it an experience. 

yes and they did very well out of it until the wheels fell off. 

On 12/07/2019 at 11:30, fairfolly said:

A weekly programme was also available for all games each weekend with all squads to be named in the programme.Again a simple but sensible idea.But no doubt some clubs would be against it.

Sounds like the late, unlamented Game On, which nobody wanted to buy.

Archived