Players situation when we leave the EU

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, kev p said:

Let’s get out first. Ossies & kiwi issues will be the same as now. Can’t envisage any visa issues with french teams like Canadian ones. 

Let's just bin the whole fiasco. Things work just fine as they are 

10 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Conversely, if the CANZUK free trade and free movement area comes into being, Kiwis, Aussies and even Canadians will find it much easier to ply their trade over here and vice versa. 

*points and laughs*

There's a Brexit thread for such nonsense.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, kev p said:

Let’s get out first. Ossies & kiwi issues will be the same as now. Can’t envisage any visa issues with french teams like Canadian ones. 

8 hours ago, Copa said:

I suspect all minor UK sports will be able to ride the coattails of the huge lobbying power and popularity of UK soccer and the sport visa system it demands from politicians.

They may not get exactly what they want but they’ll influence it that’s for sure.

Soccer will also, mostly, be able to absorb any additional costs that come from it. And let's assume that new structures won't be delivered free and for nothing. It's hard to see it being remotely the same and Mr laspalmas is spot on in raising the issue of EU grandparent/parent passports now being worthless.

(I think the FIFA video game had a thing where you could run the league and then have Brexit happen. Some knuckle draggers were livid that taking control of their borders suddenly meant it was harder to get the foreigners they wanted in.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

(I think the FIFA video game had a thing where you could run the league and then have Brexit happen. Some knuckle draggers were livid that taking control of their borders suddenly meant it was harder to get the foreigners they wanted in.)

The cheeky gits charge me ten grand to sort a work permit out and then it still falls through ?

rldfsignature.jpg

Since we still don't know what brexit is yet, and it was supposed to happen 3 months ago, there is no way of answering this question.

If we assume the same system is applied that eu nationals are treated the same as non eu nations. Teams will allowed to play in the UK under the current visa system, but some player not holding a visa waiver passport will be required to get a visa to enter.

If you take sports person visa then the player criteria is: must hold the highest qualification in the sport, be recognized by the governing body as an elite sports person's, have a good knowledge of English, have £945 in your bank account.

12 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Well, as I said, we don't know what the post Brexit set up will be yet, it could range from virtually identical to the free movement we have now, all the way to strict minimum income requirements linked to government-identified labour shortages with lengthy and expensive application processes. We just don't know.

But the closer it is to the latter the more complicated and restricted it will be for French players to have the stints in UK they have know, which is so helpful for their rugby league education before they reach the top level. 

Established French internationals, like the PNG and Pasifika players we see, shouldn't have a problem as on the whole that's usually the standard that work permit applications for all sports set. 

Aren’t we seeing how this could work in Canada?  Many players in the TWP squad, since inception, have been lesser standard players.  

Recently, I could think of Navarette, Fages, Escare, Julien, but other than those I can’t think of any others (there must be some) offhand who would be deamed ‘not top level’.  A fair few others have been lower standard players mixed with a few ‘Top level’.  

I think the argument that restrictions will affect lower level education/growth isn’t valid.  The French, Guasch especially, recognise they need to involve and develop their game again and would prefer a stronger competition on home soil.  It really should be for them to bring their own players on.

The fact is that we don't yet know what the impact will be for two reasons; because she has no real desire to leave the EU, the May government has not produced draft proposals on the issue; second, the EU has point blank refused to discuss anything until we sign the surrender document, the Withdrawal Act. 

My view is that post-Brexit, with regard to sport and the arts we'll see very little difference to now, if only because of the influence of soccerball.

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Nah, he's been named in Israel's RU7s squad. Money is better than RL apparently.

Named but they're still waiting for him to make himself known.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

7 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Jesus christ

Not sure what you're questioning. 

There are no plans either way yet. 

Perhaps you are one of these folk who brainlessly believe any remainer garbage. Project Fear screams no more furriners. Ever. For anything. 

Meanwhile, real world Leavers.... 

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Genius! 

On 07/07/2019 at 19:06, Toby Chopra said:

but on the face of it, the country that will suffer most is  France

Aussies etc can apply to say Catalans as previously with appropriate visas.  What is the change?

22 hours ago, Essai Machine said:

Try telling that to Steve McQueen ! ?

steve-mcqueen-tangled-barbed.jpg

Churchill was a vociferous advocate of what would become the EU and the point of said organisation was to ensure that half witted, but cunning,  right wing politicians could not get total control. I imagine Steve McQueen's character would have appreciated that.

9 hours ago, Number 16 said:

The fact is that we don't yet know what the impact will be for two reasons; because she has no real desire to leave the EU, the May government has not produced draft proposals on the issue; second, the EU has point blank refused to discuss anything until we sign the surrender document, the Withdrawal Act. 

I think MacArthur exact words were "the Instrument of Surrender".

Archived