Hull FC sign "The scariest bloke in Rugby League"...

11 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I recall State of Origin and Test Player David "Cement" Gillespie learning about the English forward "style" from Chris Burton when "Cement" did a season at Hunslet (yes Hunslet!!!! ).... Burton reduced him to sand.

Sometimes better to fly under the radar although there is not a lot of the nonsense nowadays.

David Gillespie was a feared forward way before his short off season stint at Hunslet.

He made his name at Canterbury.

I can not recall who the well known English Forwards name who when he saw Cement come off the bench in a Test Match commented "Oh no, not this lad again"

I have met David many times and you would not meet a nicer, quieter bloke.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Couple of years ago he was outstanding but he’s had a series of injuries since which has limited his game time and seen a big drop off in performance.

on form he can be great but also seen plenty of games where you wouldn’t know he was on the pitch as he just didn’t look interested.

I don’t think him & Jones will strike much fear into the opposition next year but an improvement on where they are now.

I’d agree he hasn’t quite hit the heights of a couple of years ago due to injuries but if they can keep him fit, he’d be an excellent asset. Jones will complement him well and they’d certainly be one of the best 2nd row combinations in the comp

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Couple of years ago he was outstanding but he’s had a series of injuries since which has limited his game time and seen a big drop off in performance.

on form he can be great but also seen plenty of games where you wouldn’t know he was on the pitch as he just didn’t look interested.

I don’t think him & Jones will strike much fear into the opposition next year but an improvement on where they are now.

I’d agree he hasn’t quite hit the heights of a couple of years ago due to injuries but if they can keep him fit, he’d be an excellent asset. Jones will complement him well and they’d certainly be one of the best 2nd row combinations in the comp

2 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

No salary cap in Hull these days? 

He is not the scariest bloke on my Street.

If he was playing well Parramatta would not have put up the sign "available to offers"

Solid best describes him, I am a Parramatta supporter and we have not had a Forward that puts fear into the opposition in a long time.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

15 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I recall State of Origin and Test Player David "Cement" Gillespie learning about the English forward "style" from Chris Burton when "Cement" did a season at Hunslet (yes Hunslet!!!! ).... Burton reduced him to sand.

Sometimes better to fly under the radar although there is not a lot of the nonsense nowadays.

Ah, Chris Burton, better known as Bus Stop Burton in west Hull because of his ahem, elevated tackling style.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, muckymunksy said:

No salary cap in Hull these days? 

Bloody hell!, the cheek of it!

We look like we're offloading Minichiello, Manu, Green, Hadley and Westerman for starters, that's a fair chunk of cap.

Not sure how the likes of Cas, Leeds and Wire manage to keep under the cap though.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Bloody hell!, the cheek of it!

We look like we're offloading Minichiello, Manu, Green, Hadley and Westerman for starters, that's a fair chunk of cap.

Not sure how the likes of Cas, Leeds and Wire manage to keep under the cap though.

Not to mention we'll have two marquee signings and naulago is exempt cos he comes from union (I think that goes up to a 50% exemption next year?) so with that and the players you've mentioned leaving I'd say its just some decent accounting on our part! 

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

No human being is scary, somethings what get said on here is ridiculous 

In posting this thread, I merely quoted how he is or has been known in the press in Oz, hence the quotation marks.

Some of the stuff what you post on here might also be regarded as ridiculous.

22 hours ago, DoubleD said:

For me Jones is one of those players you’d class as a good ‘club man’.

Always solid but never outstanding. Not enough pace to be a good back and lacks the aggression and work rate for a good forward.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

For me Jones is one of those players you’d class as a good ‘club man’.

Always solid but never outstanding. Not enough pace to be a good back and lacks the aggression and work rate for a good forward.

I had that opinion but his stats suggest he’s better than that, and up there with the best second rows in the comp. His work rate is actually very good and he’s awkward to tackle and often gets an offload away

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I had that opinion but his stats suggest he’s better than that, and up there with the best second rows in the comp. His work rate is actually very good and he’s awkward to tackle and often gets an offload away

Jones' metres after contact is what catches my eye about him. Must be up there with the best in the competition.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• 1 month later...

On 09/07/2019 at 16:50, Hullfan said:

No human being is scary, somethings what get said on here is ridiculous 

I bet a few Fc players were scared in the Humberside derbies when Chris Burton was on the field?

On 08/07/2019 at 21:07, Futtocks said:

I remember London signing the Big Bad Aussie who'd bash the poms up and down the North of England.

If it wasn't for the times we laughed at Spudward M.Carroll, we'd have nothing to remember about his Super League career.

So let's hope Ma'u comes over with a better attitude than that.

Just catching up with this thread, didn't Carroll after finishing up punch drunk during his spell over here end up as Russell Crowe's bodyguard for a while?

1 hour ago, Steve Slater said:

I bet a few Fc players were scared in the Humberside derbies when Chris Burton was on the field?

I can't imagine anybody ever being scared of Bus Stop Burton.

Most of his tackles were so high they missed completely.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 09/07/2019 at 15:08, deluded pom? said:

Ah, Chris Burton, better known as Bus Stop Burton in west Hull because of his ahem, elevated tackling style.

You lot would have to be different, everywhere else he was known as Coat hanger Burton for said style.

I think this guys approach is misunderstood.  Sure, he appears mean and moody but his disciplinary record is good and he regularly plays 80 minutes for the Eels.

After starting on the bench for few games this year he’s been ever present in the pack.  His stats are impressive week on week. Teams need these aggressive, no nonesense, team oriented players and I think he’ll be great for the club.

Archived