Wigan Permanent Big Screen

I haven't seen this mentioned but there is now a permanent big screen at Wigan, it was used for the HUll KR game. Its hooked into the timekeeping and scoreboard, they show all the live action from more than one camera and also show replays, it is also a far better quality than the Sky one.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

I haven't seen this mentioned but there is now a permanent big screen at Wigan, it was used for the HUll KR game. Its hooked into the timekeeping and scoreboard, they show all the live action from more than one camera and also show replays, it is also a far better quality than the Sky one.

Installed at a cost of £360,000 by the new owners of Wigan Athletic.

2 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Installed at a cost of £360,000 by the new owners of Wigan Athletic.

The ones who said the stadium wasn't viable without the rugby playing there.

The fact that it is hooked into the rugby timekeeping shows that they had thought this through.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

The ones who said the stadium wasn't viable without the rugby playing there.

The fact that it is hooked into the rugby timekeeping shows that they had thought this through.

I really don't care about their motivation mate, I just thought that it was great that it was there, and that the quality, as you say, was way above that piece of ###### that Sky have been dragging around for the last couple of decades.

I'm glad Wigan went with a 'big' screen when installing their new permanent screen. 

The small screen variant would have been much more cost effective but, equally, much less effective.  In this case at least it seems that bigger really is better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The big screen/video referee was another of those innovative Rugby League concepts that the game patted itself on the back for and never really developed. The fact that it still isn't a big screen and video referee at all Super League games is an embarrassment.

RU copied and started in the same way as Super League, in that it was just televised games, and quickly developed it to all top flight games. Football for better or worse is quickly extending the use of technology. RL is still much in the same place 20 odd years later.

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Quite a few stadiums with permanent big screens,  should allow a level playing field with video referee at all games. 

You don't need a big screen to have a video referee. That's not the issue stopping the game from introducing it at every game tomorrow if it wanted to. 

It's still not wheldon Road though is it?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

9 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

You make it sound as if having a timer that counts to both 80 AND 90 mins is some sort of 'added feature' for a modern scoreboard. 

The point was that it just doesn't count down it is linked into the official timekeepers clock.

27 minutes ago, M j M said:

This isn't revolutionary.

It shows forethought about how rugby uses the time clock which is different to how soccer operates. It could have just been left as a countdown clock and use the Sky clock just for televised games.

?

Archived