George Williams confirmed for Canberra

3 hours ago, Copa said:

What’s he like then?

Very talented.  His short kicking game is very good as his his running. He also has a very decent passing game... always at the top end of the try assist stats.

His defence is always pretty good as well.

So you you would think hs was a good all round half... well not quite as he hasn't got the organisational skills or communication to boss a game. He really needs an organisational half alongside him to shine.

With Wighton doing unexpectedly well in the 6 shirt for Canberra this year this is an interesting signing as I am not sure they would be a good half back pairing as they are too similar.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

He's talented but is a little one dimensional and needs to develop more strings to his bow. He certainly needs to improve his organisational and playmaking skills. Hopefully playing in the NRL and against better defences will see him do this. I'm not sure how he will get on but he will have an excellent mentor in Stuart.

he is Richard O'brien in Rocky horror... he runs to the left, then steps to the right... every time! (pretty much, well not every time but even my 11 year old can pick it when watching on tv).. I think he could make a good player at the moment there are a fair few flaws and weaknesses that need ironing out. IMHO

2 hours ago, Moove said:

He's a superb tackler...

Me on my deathbed, whispering: there's just one thing I've never understood

Family: what's that grandad?

Me: what the &#%$ George Williams was doing in that tackle

***Dies***

Good move for Williams , good move for England I’d reckon . Maybe wrong just looking in but he seems to be in a bit of a comfort zone  , and this move will really push him on and challenge him to improve his weaker areas and hopefully make him a better all round  player which he’ll need to be in a key position in a league where you need to be on every week 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Good move for Williams , good move for England I’d reckon . Maybe wrong just looking in but he seems to be in a bit of a comfort zone  , and this move will really push him on and challenge him to improve his weaker areas and hopefully make him a better all round  player which he’ll need to be in a key position in a league where you need to be on every week 

It will be an excellent outcome for England if he can develop his all round game. I agree about the comfort zone thing too, he has barely kicked on in the last couple of years. That is more of a slight on that Super League standard than anything else.

Interesting reading that Lam has a one year deal , and Hastings as a one year get out clause . So not really a stable long term outcome on the face of it and we’ll be back here next summer 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Very talented.  His short kicking game is very good as his his running. He also has a very decent passing game... always at the top end of the try assist stats.

His defence is always pretty good as well.

So you you would think hs was a good all round half... well not quite as he hasn't got the organisational skills or communication to boss a game. He really needs an organisational half alongside him to shine.

With Wighton doing unexpectedly well in the 6 shirt for Canberra this year this is an interesting signing as I am not sure they would be a good half back pairing as they are too similar.

Agree with most of that, except that his short kicking game is not very good.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Really????

I would say that’s one of his strongest assets, even in the short in goal areas in SL

I agree.  If I had to name one stand out aspect of his game I would say short kicking.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Quality

Given the way the Wigan youth teams are coached to match the style of the first team, he could probably do with a bit of variety.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Canberra seems like as good a place as any for him, other English lads have gone well there. Echoing what's been said above, I'm not convinced he's got the kind of organising game to be paired with Wighton, he seems to need that pressure off him.

1 hour ago, wackojacko said:

Canberra seems like as good a place as any for him, other English lads have gone well there. Echoing what's been said above, I'm not convinced he's got the kind of organising game to be paired with Wighton, he seems to need that pressure off him.

The NRL halfs are usually very structured in their play, the one high profile 6 who more than most plays it of the cuff and plays what he sees in front of him is Cameron Munster, I can see that style of play is in Williams, if he learns and prooves to be half as good as Munster that will be a big improvement on our present British No 6's.

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

Agree with most of that, except that his short kicking game is not very good.

Oh my god, you just 100% confirmed everything I thought about you all along. Thank you so much. 

You complete and utter charlatan. Grand final, anyone?

You useless troll.

7 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Oh my god, you just 100% confirmed everything I thought about you all along. Thank you so much. 

You complete and utter charlatan. Grand final, anyone?

You useless troll.

I still have the advantage over you, though. 

1. I'm not in Leeds, thank goodness. 

2. I'm not an incoherent Warrington groupie. 

3. I know what I am talking about. 

4. Charlatan. Isn't that rather a big word for a 7 year old? Where'd you learn it? 

Archived