George Williams confirmed for Canberra

On 09/07/2019 at 10:04, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not to move this off topic but every Leeds fan should now be praying this opens the door for them to sign Aidan Sezer, who will be a far better (and dare I say slightly cheaper) option than an ageing James Maloney. 

I don’t think Leeds have any quota spots available as they brought Martin in for the last one. Perhaps if Cuthbertson retires at the end of the season then it may provide an opportunity 

48 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I don’t think Leeds have any quota spots available as they brought Martin in for the last one. Perhaps if Cuthbertson retires at the end of the season then it may provide an opportunity 

I'm pretty sure Cuthbertson isn't part of the quota (British passport) and Rhyse Martin is a PNG international (so Kolpak?). As far as I know the quota players are/will be Merrin, Lui, Seumanufagai and Peteru - so that leaves one spot. Although I'm not entirely sure what Hurrell's status is? 

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm pretty sure Cuthbertson isn't part of the quota (British passport) and Rhyse Martin is a PNG international (so Kolpak?). As far as I know the quota players are/will be Merrin, Lui, Seumanufagai and Peteru - so that leaves one spot. Although I'm not entirely sure what Hurrell's status is? 

There is also the quota for non-federation trained players (which both Cuthbertson, Martin,  and any other player who wasn't trained in the Federation between 16 and 21, will count against - the limit is, I think, 5)

Update, just seen the list in the Overseas Quota thread and the NFT seems to be 7 now.

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

The RFL have just listed the overseas players at each club and both Cuthbertson and Martin are listed as overseas players. 

4 minutes ago, TBone said:

There is also the quota for non-federation trained players (which both Cuthbertson, Martin,  and any other player who wasn't trained in the UK between 16 and 21, will count against - the limit is, I think, 5)

They are on both

Leeds Rhinos

Overseas Players – 5: Adam Cuthbertson, Robert Lui, Rhyse Martin, Trent Merrin, Ava Seumanufagai

NFT Players – 7: Wellington Albert (Board Exemption - *Ex-Widnes), Adam Cuthbertson, Konileti Hurrell, Robert Lui, Rhyse Martin, Trent Merrin, Nathaniel Peteru, Ava Seumanufagai 

3 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The RFL have just listed the overseas players at each club and both Cuthbertson and Martin are listed as overseas players. 

Any chance you could post a link to it please as I can't find it

On 09/07/2019 at 02:46, Copa said:

Or you from Canberra?  He is extremely very good indeed. He is strong, quick, steps well, breaks the tackle, tackes, draws the pass, passes well - long or short , good short kicking game, throws a good high ball as well, can kick goals... good timing and very well aware of what's around and good options. He plays on the left but increasingly switches to the right.  

In short you will not find many Nr6's in the NRL.  Canberra fans need not worry.  No one is perfect, and not many players can fizz a ball 20yards+ like Brett Kenny (but how many ever did) and even the incomparable Kenny could never kick like Williams can.

So if you are from Canberra you can safely ignore all the faint praise from other quarters, he his anything but one dimensional (plus q.v. Bateman). You have a quality player. I suggest your left winger and fullback should start practicing right now to be on the end of his grubber kicks.

Lets all hope he stays fit.

It will be interesting to see how he goes, I think his biggest problem is a lack of consistency during games, and also he drifts in and out far too much, seems content to allow games to go on around him sometimes. He`s obviously very talented but those 2 things will cause him huge problems in the NRL if he cant change them. Good luck to him though, he`s going to the right club to help him fit in.

31 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Or you from Canberra?  He is extremely very good indeed. He is strong, quick, steps well, breaks the tackle, tackes, draws the pass, passes well - long or short , good short kicking game, throws a good high ball as well, can kick goals... good timing and very well aware of what's around and good options. He plays on the left but increasingly switches to the right.  

In short you will not find many Nr6's in the NRL.  Canberra fans need not worry.  No one is perfect, and not many players can fizz a ball 20yards+ like Brett Kenny (but how many ever did) and even the incomparable Kenny could never kick like Williams can.

So if you are from Canberra you can safely ignore all the faint praise from other quarters, he his anything but one dimensional (plus q.v. Bateman). You have a quality player. I suggest your left winger and fullback should start practicing right now to be on the end of his grubber kicks.

Thanks.

and yes, I live in Canberra.

Out of interest, as Canberra next year will have 5 Englishmen, is there a limit on how many they can sign? 

Could they in theory buy in say another really good English prop and a back row, ie Thompson and Currie to make 7 Englishmen? 

Its interesting to know if the NRL has limits on Non OZ/NZ born players as if a Perth NRL team happens in future, given how far it is from Sydney it would not be inconvievable for a good 7 or 8 of the intial 25-30 players to be English as there will be a need for more talent and at a affordable wadge. 

On 10/07/2019 at 12:16, Rupert Prince said:

Think your slightly over egging the pudding there, his steps predictable and he too often dissapears or heads up blind alleys, thats why he's never really cut it at International level?

9 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Out of interest, as Canberra next year will have 5 Englishmen, is there a limit on how many they can sign? 

Could they in theory buy in say another really good English prop and a back row, ie Thompson and Currie to make 7 Englishmen? 

Its interesting to know if the NRL has limits on Non OZ/NZ born players as if a Perth NRL team happens in future, given how far it is from Sydney it would not be inconvievable for a good 7 or 8 of the intial 25-30 players to be English as there will be a need for more talent and at a affordable wadge. 

I’m not aware of any limits on how many foreigners an NRL team can sign.

5 hours ago, Copa said:

I’m not aware of any limits on how many foreigners an NRL team can sign.

It’s an interesting point though and I wonder if it will ever become a topic of conversation in NRL. I suppose it’s quite far down their list of priorities as Australia don’t play many games

I think my only real criticism on George Williams is around his sometimes risky and forced pass options. Often he'll look for the miracle pass, or try and force a pass that's not on, when under pressure. If he can get that out f his game he'll be a genuine star.

Can't imagine Ricky Stuart thinks he's getting the finished article, and will look to work these inconsistencies out of his game. 

At Wigan, 9 times out of 10 he was the only player that was really going to create something a bit special, so without that pressure you'd like to think he can flourish even more.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

22 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Think your slightly over egging the pudding there, his steps predictable and he too often dissapears or heads up blind alleys, thats why he's never really cut it at International level?

Fair points, but I am not over egging the pudding I think. I think he is a good player, a very good player. And that is what I consider.  Is he a Brett Kenny? No.  Kenny could give a pass like no one.  All players will not be on their game at one time or another.  But it's just a opinion, not a fact, when you say he does not cut it. 

On 10/07/2019 at 12:16, Rupert Prince said:

Can't agree, I think Wigan will be better off with Hastings next year. And wouldn't be surprised to see Williams on his way home after just one season

The key question for Canberra is whether they think Williams is a half back partner for Whighton or Aiden Sezer.  Sam Williams is off contract at the end of the year and they may let him go.

Wighton has gone well at 6 and did a useful stint at centre for NSW in Origin and has of course been a full back for the majority of his first grade career.

Sezer is more of a classic controlling half with a strong tactical kicking game and after switching Sezer and Williams around in the first part of the season Ricky Stuart seems to have landed on Whighton and Sezer as his first choice halves.

Certainly Sezer and George Williams are more of a classic pairing than George Williams and Whighton who feel a little too similar to me to be effective together... but Wighton has been one the Raiders best this year and Stuart will want to continue getting the best out of him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Bridgey91 said:

Can't agree, I think Wigan will be better off with Hastings next year. And wouldn't be surprised to see Williams on his way home after just one season

I do agree that Wigan need Hastings more at this moment in time rather than Williams. They have been crying out for someone with a decent long range kicking game for quite some time and someone who can organise and boss things. 

12 hours ago, Bridgey91 said:

In which case I will be happy to have Hastings at 7 and Williams at 6.  Hastings is a good player... that does not make Williams a bad one.

Archived