Match Thread: Toronto v Featherstone Rovers. Saturday 13th July 2019

I wonder how many Fev fans are heading over for a twice-in-a-lifetime trip to watch Fev in Canada. We've got a 100% record there.

Plenty of talking points from last week. Great to see Bussey and Harrison back in the mix and a new halfback pair of Chisholm and Reynolds.  Our 10th different halfback pairing this year.

So, Cam King back soon? Johnny Davies fit again? Teteh is fit but can't get a look in.

Connor Jones to jet off just after he jetted in?

It will be hard to beat the runaway leaders, but if we play as well as we can, there's nothing to fear.

After Toronto, it's very tight at the top, but we can make the Five. Then it's knockout footy all the way to Super League.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all the games this season you'd have to say this is the one we'd have down as the unlikeliest win, but we said that last year too.

Good that we've got our mojo back after the Barrow debacle and there's a feelgood factor again.

Hopefully a reasonably strong squad to choose from, none of our usual DR guys are in the Leeds 19 this week. Interesting to see what happens with Alex Sutcliffe if he's fit, Conor Carey made a point of saying that centre is his preferred position after the Leigh game but will he be kept there? Dagger struggled a bit for me on the wing on Sunday, conceding three penalties and jumping in on one occasion that might have cost a try with a better pass from Leigh. Still think he's a handy player but the problem is we already have Golding at full back.

Wellington Albert didn't play very long minutes on Sunday and I'm not convinced about him defensively, though he's a handful carrying the ball.

Hoping we continue the return to form with a spirited performance, whether it's good enough or not. Positive points difference needs preserving too as that could be crucial especially with none of the contenders having drawn a game yet.

Yes, interesting observations.

I think Carey is now showing enough form to warrant his selection at centre. I'm happy with Hardy too, so although Sutcliffe is quality, he's not the priority he was.

Dagger looks ok to me, not really a winger. He was v.unlucky with two of the three penalties he conceded. One of them was just outrageous.

Albert looked well off the pace. Their sub hooker went straight past him in the middle and he seemed to do far less minutes than the other middles.

I think we can give a good account of ourselves in TOronto.

No pressure on us really. No one expects us to win - me included. But played well against Leigh and were up for the big game so maybe just maybe we might do as we did last year and get another result in Canada.

good luck to Ryan Carr and the boys - I’ll be listening on Rovers TV

i'm more confident than last year all down to attitude if we play with our game heads on will be close and could go either way but if we come out wearing our brain farts like barrow then could be a cricket score 

Has Chisholm got a niggle ?  Can’t understand why our most influential player has been left out. Before this I thought it would be tight with the result going either way but now it’s made my mind up as an 18 point difference loss.However like most people I had this down as a definite loss months ago so I’m not disheartened.Looking forward  it’s imperative we pile on the points against Rochdale next week as points difference is important for the top five.I am getting my calculator ready to take.

31 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Has Chisholm got a niggle ?  Can’t understand why our most influential player has been left out. Before this I thought it would be tight with the result going either way but now it’s made my mind up as an 18 point difference loss.However like most people I had this down as a definite loss months ago so I’m not disheartened.Looking forward  it’s imperative we pile on the points against Rochdale next week as points difference is important for the top five.I am getting my calculator ready to take.

Chisholm was having difficulty in getting a visa into Canada I was told the other day 

Im Fev and im proud

1 hour ago, hrtbps said:

If that's the case, it sort of makes a mockery of North American expansion, does it not?

Do you think superleague clubs would just leave the best player/ star 1/2 back at home when 2 points is so vital ??

Bit of a mixed bag that squad, but needs must. A very similar set of circumstances befell us last year and look how that turned out.

Chizzy visa, King injury, Reynolds baby due. That's stuff beyond our control. Maskill 'misses out' says the press release and I find that hard to fathom if he has no injury.

Still, 8 backs and 11 forwards. But only one halfback, so I can only see Bussey at stand-off. That puts Jones at 9 and probably for 80 minutes. Huge ask given the flights he's taken.

If Bussey's at HB, then the 10 forwards pick themselves and presumably Render and Teteh are surplus in the backs.

3 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

I took my calculator to the Barrow game. Realised it needed new batteries when we scored 16 cos it didnt work after that for some reason????

25 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I took my calculator to the Barrow game. Realised it needed new batteries when we scored 16 cos it didnt work after that for some reason????

Yes I know what you mean but Barrow are fighting to stay in our League where as Rochdale are nailed on for the drop and really only have pride to play for.I honestly think with having all our best players back we will score over fifty points against them.

Archived