Alternative ideas

Spike

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Jenkinson was posting on this forum about 6 months or so ago - his main argument was that the overall stadium plan was costing too much, and all that was required was the refurbishment of one of the existing grounds - IMO thats what will be proposed, and will just be a sticking plaster, cheap proposal

If we are talking about a revised option then DP has the bigger existing footprint, but maybe not as big as combined BP/Lonsdale Park area?

I'd like to see 1 large grandstand that incorporates at least 2,000 capacity (all seats or a mix like Headingleys new South stand) and all the general office space to run the clubs, club shops, media facilities, together with corporate facilities and a general bar and food area. this could also incorporate or be attached to office space for BNFL and the NHS if they are still interested. They can have a Costa and Greggs franchise in there as well. That part of the ground is the focal point for everything

The rest of the ground, should be such that it is of 6,000 capacity in whatever configuration. I'd also incorporate one of the ends being flexible so that it can be removed to take the stage area for concerts and can be replaced by a temporary stand to take capacity up to 7500 or 8000, for events such as a RLWC (if we are ever to be considered again)

Stadia also have to be flexible these days

4 hours ago, rockerlad said:

I've just seen on the back of the star haven offering town use of the rec rent free, is this for after town have had the next 2 games at BP? Is there issues with the derwent park pitch? genuine questions.

Very concerning. 

We're maybe waiting because we can't cut the grass until collections are back on!?

4 hours ago, rockerlad said:

I've just seen on the back of the star haven offering town use of the rec rent free, is this for after town have had the next 2 games at BP? Is there issues with the derwent park pitch? genuine questions.

I think it’s tongue in cheek although I’d expect any reasonable journalist to check the facts before writing such drivel

On 10/07/2019 at 21:21, BlueVintheblood said:

I was at the stadium meeting as a shareholder and it was clearly explained about the move, my understanding is that if this stadium plan fell through the lease was reinstated and we continue at DP. It was voted on, explained superbly by legal on the night and i received a letter from the club inviting me to attend. 

The club had covered all bases in the event of the stadium not going ahead. 

Nero has stated this a few times on here also. 

Who was also at the meeting!

21 hours ago, shaun mc said:

When Jenkinson was posting on this forum about 6 months or so ago - his main argument was that the overall stadium plan was costing too much, and all that was required was the refurbishment of one of the existing grounds - IMO thats what will be proposed, and will just be a sticking plaster, cheap proposal

If we are talking about a revised option then DP has the bigger existing footprint, but maybe not as big as combined BP/Lonsdale Park area?

I'd like to see 1 large grandstand that incorporates at least 2,000 capacity (all seats or a mix like Headingleys new South stand) and all the general office space to run the clubs, club shops, media facilities, together with corporate facilities and a general bar and food area. this could also incorporate or be attached to office space for BNFL and the NHS if they are still interested. They can have a Costa and Greggs franchise in there as well. That part of the ground is the focal point for everything

The rest of the ground, should be such that it is of 6,000 capacity in whatever configuration. I'd also incorporate one of the ends being flexible so that it can be removed to take the stage area for concerts and can be replaced by a temporary stand to take capacity up to 7500 or 8000, for events such as a RLWC (if we are ever to be considered again)

Stadia also have to be flexible these days

That type of ground sounds similar to Afc Fyldes ground but that didn't come cheap

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:58, Chrome Dome said:

What ?   Town have just played two matches on it......??????

By shortening the field and being allowed to use it as a temporary measure. Im sure poor Tyllar Mellor isnt a fan of the pitch dimensions

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

3 hours ago, gillmeister said:

By shortening the field and being allowed to use it as a temporary measure. Im sure poor Tyllar Mellor isnt a fan of the pitch dimensions

So.....Borough Park pitch was shortened to appease Town...? And Derwent Park has been extended to appease Reds...so it was the width of DP that wasn't acceptable then ?...and yes Tyllar did do a lengthy aqua plane to smash into the fence....ouchhhh.

6 minutes ago, Chrome Dome said:

So.....Borough Park pitch was shortened to appease Town...? And Derwent Park has been extended to appease Reds...so it was the width of DP that wasn't acceptable then ?...and yes Tyllar did do a lengthy aqua plane to smash into the fence....ouchhhh.

Borough Park pitch wasn’t shortened, it doesn’t have the ideal length to incorporate a reasonable dead ball area and a suitable safety distance between the dead ball line and solid fencing; as demonstrated by poor Tyler!

The pitch at Derwent Park was widened to comply with the FA’s requirements for the Reds. 

It’s one thing allowing a temporary ground for a particular reason and quite another to allow something as a permanent feature, sometimes you have to be reasonable in the particular circumstances.

A radical suggestion here...

Why not assemble a team which is capable of banging loudly on the door of super league?...then i doubt whether a council could be anywhere near so dismissive.

As it stands, the business case for either club needing an 8k capacity stadium just is not there.

Surely the big selling point for a rugby club MUST be the stuff being served up on the pitch?

Show that the club IS serious about going places first, then look at getting others behind it.

I have to say that while disappointing, it cannot be a surprise that this was not considered an unrefusable offer

Bomb site comes to mind around the pitch . Now the speedway track as been removed ,there is all different levels of concrete  Severed ,Electric cables  sticking up ,Most of the boards around the track the bottoms are rotten where the shale was covering them , The   Emergency Gate on the popular side which leads onto the pitch, the step down from it is to steep , From the tunnel onto the pitch that's also needs looked at , The Grandstand steps and seats are so dirty from the dust when removing the track that you couldn't ask Supporters to go into the Stand . So the pitch wont be the problem its the Ground . We have been put in this situation by the decision to alter things to accommodate  the Reds while the new Stadium was being built . But now this is not going to happen , The Council need to get the ground fit for purpose ASAP . 

6 minutes ago, silverfox said:

Bomb site comes to mind around the pitch . Now the speedway track as been removed ,there is all different levels of concrete  Severed ,Electric cables  sticking up ,Most of the boards around the track the bottoms are rotten where the shale was covering them , The   Emergency Gate on the popular side which leads onto the pitch, the step down from it is to steep , From the tunnel onto the pitch that's also needs looked at , The Grandstand steps and seats are so dirty from the dust when removing the track that you couldn't ask Supporters to go into the Stand . So the pitch wont be the problem its the Ground . We have been put in this situation by the decision to alter things to accommodate  the Reds while the new Stadium was being built . But now this is not going to happen , The Council need to get the ground fit for purpose ASAP . 

If you’re expecting anything from this hapless council, you’ll be waiting a long time. Why don’t we just roll up our sleeves & give the club a hand! We can’t make the grass grow faster, but we can help to clean the place up ready to move back in!

Timmy Streets Scrumcap  It wouldn't have made any difference at all  if we were already in the Super league .  The councillors in charge now, are so vindictive towards the Labour party  they couldn't give a toss about the positives  the New Stadium / Offices would have done to Workington as a whole . In the Times and Star  today someone stated Allerdale is rotten to the core  . This statement was mentioned by the new Mayor when the Elections were going on . Well she's dead right  now the Bins wont be getting emptied .  

On 10/07/2019 at 16:56, Seaton Sandy said:

I see Sue Hayman has written to Allerdale council asking all the questions that have been raised on here and it will be interesting to see what the response is. She is already getting flak from certain worthies accusing her of "jumping on the bandwagon" ! Seems like she can't win, after being criticized for not getting involved she now faces hostility for doing just that. 

I think she would have been better advised to have voiced her concerns to Allerdale in private without publishing the letter on Facebook. She's left herself wide open to criticism by doing that, after all, how many times did she 'publish' letters on social media while Labour were in charge of the council, and would she have been as 'openly critical' had these problems happened under Labour's watch?

Social media is great for some things, but sites like 'The Allerdale Independent' with its constant trolling of the Independent councilors just makes Labour look like sore losers.

End of the day the public can vote in who they want, and if they don't like the administration they can vote them out in 4 years.

I'm pleased I have no political affiliation, as politics is so polarised these days.

And we come back to the same reasons , ........only 25% of the voting public bothered to vote in the local elections , which means they couldn`t be bothered or didn`t want a new Stadium anyway , unfortunately i have talked to quite a lot of Town fans who are up in arms about the Stadium.....and non of them voted , some of whom i harrassed on polling day to get down and vote ....most said it wouldn`t make a difference .The government doesn`t run this country , apathy does .

That's very harsh considering the "Independants" are playing everything out on social media, why is it OK for them to use it constantly but not sue hayman? 

Whoever is in charge of the independents Facebook account is an absolute disgrace with some of their comments, they said yesterday they dont need to justify any of there decisions when questioned about them throwing around the £95m figure without context, which is a staggering thing to say. 

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's very harsh considering the "Independants" are playing everything out on social media, why is it OK for them to use it constantly but not sue hayman? 

Whoever is in charge of the independents Facebook account is an absolute disgraced with some of there comments, they said yesterday they dont need to justify any of there decisions when questioned about them throwing around the £95m figure without context, which is a staggering thing to say. 

They are all a disgrace mate, its makes embarrassing reading. Playing out the 'ping-pong' blame game on social media doesn't inspire me with any confidence that any of them (Labour, Cons and Indies) are fit to run the council.

I'm not talking about the bins fiasco either, as that will get resolved one way or another in the next few weeks.

Every elected councilor should be made to sit a workshop about the perils and pitfalls of social media, some of them seem to forget that you can't undo anything that's posted, and hiding behind a pseudonym doesn't stop you from being prosecuted.     

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

They are all a disgrace mate, its makes embarrassing reading. Playing out the 'ping-pong' blame game on social media doesn't inspire me with any confidence that any of them (Labour, Cons and Indies) are fit to run the council.

I'm not talking about the bins fiasco either, as that will get resolved one way or another in the next few weeks.

Every elected councilor should be made to sit a workshop about the perils and pitfalls of social media, some of them seem to forget that you can't undo anything that's posted, and hiding behind a pseudonym doesn't stop you from being prosecuted.     

Fully agree with all that, just look at Jenkinson on Facebook and his disgusting, condescending, demeaning, bullying attitude when anyone dares question him. 

Archived