State of Origin decider (spoilers)

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Odd advice from somebody who surely wants traffic to the site if you ask me. Some people will only watch the game late tonight and should be able to nip onto a British RL forum.

I personally think forums like this should have repercussions for spoilers in titles.

I'm a weary realist.

I changed the thread title as soon as I saw it, and before anyone asked me to, but the internet isn't generally policed by thoughtful, considerate people like me, and I don't sit looking at this forum 24/7 either, so the chance of spoilers going unchecked will always exist. That's just life, these days. Yes, I'd rather people skipped looking at TotalRL for a few hours rather than run the risk of having their enjoyment of a big game spoiled by accident and blaming us for it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm a weary realist.

I changed the thread title as soon as I saw it, and before anyone asked me to, but the internet isn't generally policed by thoughtful, considerate people like me, and I don't sit looking at this forum 24/7 either, so the chance of spoilers going unchecked will always exist. That's just life, these days. Yes, I'd rather people skipped looking at TotalRL for a few hours rather than run the risk of having their enjoyment of a big game spoiled by accident and blaming us for it.

Aye, I understand that John.

The matchday threads pretty much mean there are no spoilers on here at all. That works well.

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Odd advice from somebody who surely wants traffic to the site if you ask me. Some people will only watch the game late tonight and should be able to nip onto a British RL forum.

I personally think forums like this should have repercussions for spoilers in titles.

IMO Dave this is the problem with allowing anything and everything on a General forum. SoO is an Australian match and should be covered in the NRL section.

rldfsignature.jpg

51 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

IMO Dave this is the problem with allowing anything and everything on a General forum. SoO is an Australian match and should be covered in the NRL section.

While the NRL games should live on the Australian forum I do think there is enough interest for SOO to be on the main forum... it was shown live here and is popular (as the replies show).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

52 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I don't mind that, as it is a game that does have appeal on a British forum, I think for games like this plus the Grand Final we should have a match thread, where spoilers happen.

It is pretty poor internet etiquette to post spoilers in a thread title nowadays.

I'm annoyed at Sky today, as I had recorded it on SS Main event; however, when I went to watch it this afternoon, they had replaced it on SSME with the cricket that overran from yesterday..... ?

Great game!! Good atmosphere in Father Ted s in Hua Hin Thailand. Probably 50/50 fans split ( and me a Wigan fan!!!).

3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

That Qld try was a double movement all day long. My one complaint about the Aussie game is how they ignore rules or interpret them differently on a whim and sometimes chamge intereptation from one week to the next

I'm not buying that English refs are better than Aussie ones. Of course there are going to be mistakes and inconsistencies. IMO refs should have a feel for the match, and adjust depending on the weather and intensity of the match. Wighton knocked-on and McGuire's should have been given, and was, right call.  

2 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

I'm not buying that English refs are better than Aussie ones. Of course there are going to be mistakes and inconsistencies. IMO refs should have a feel for the match, and adjust depending on the weather and intensity of the match. Wighton knocked-on and McGuire's should have been given, and was, right call.  

Never said English refs are better, infact I believe the opposite. But the above is my only gripe with the Aussie officials. The way they ignore rules when it suits and change the inpretation from one week to the next. 

Great game and great finish. Queensland really needed to make that first half dominance count, I worried for them going in level as NSW were always going to come out firing. NSW should have really put the game to bed in the second but great resilience from Queensland to hang in there and hit back. Best team won though and I think theyll be the best team for the next few years. Aside from Munster and Ponga I'm not sure where Queenslands next generation of stars and game breakers are, they'll be competitive though no doubt.

Interesting to look at the quality on show. The game was great but I feel the quality is a little down on recent years. The hype, occasion and intensity make it a good spectacle no matter what but there were numerous players out there that didn't come across as top rep level players. Tedesco, Ferguson (cant believe he wasnt picked in game 1), Klemmer, Cook, Munster all look world class whilst players like Addo-Carr, Vaughan, Frizzell, Cordner, Trbojevic's, Gagai, Papalii, McGuire look very good but players like Mbye, Chambers, Norman, Glasby, Maloney, Cleary (did he make one tackle?) aren't bad players but don't look great and there were a lot of errors. I'm not sure that Queensland team would even finish top of the NRL. England shouldn't fear Australia next year.

McGuires try was a try, you have to extend the arm or momentum have been stopped. His arm was same position and he bounced over. 

I wonder if Australia start getting beaten more often (if they play) and NSW start winning every year whether it will have an impact on the significance of origin.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

An outstanding game with an outstanding finish. I found it frankly bizarre that after such an incredible ending the first thing commentators wanted to talk about was how many penalties there were in the second half? We witnessed something incredible, yet we want to talk about referees for no real reason. Odd.

The game was everything great about the sport. A huge crowd, colour, a game going one way then the other, with a skilful try rewarding brave play to win the series. It was magnificent.

13 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Great game and great finish. Queensland really needed to make that first half dominance count, I worried for them going in level as NSW were always going to come out firing. NSW should have really put the game to bed in the second but great resilience from Queensland to hang in there and hit back. Best team won though and I think theyll be the best team for the next few years. Aside from Munster and Ponga I'm not sure where Queenslands next generation of stars and game breakers are, they'll be competitive though no doubt.

Interesting to look at the quality on show. The game was great but I feel the quality is a little down on recent years. The hype, occasion and intensity make it a good spectacle no matter what but there were numerous players out there that didn't come across as top rep level players. Tedesco, Ferguson (cant believe he wasnt picked in game 1), Klemmer, Cook, Munster all look world class whilst players like Addo-Carr, Vaughan, Frizzell, Cordner, Trbojevic's, Gagai, Papalii, McGuire look very good but players like Mbye, Chambers, Norman, Glasby, Maloney, Cleary (did he make one tackle?) aren't bad players but don't look great and there were a lot of errors. I'm not sure that Queensland team would even finish top of the NRL. England shouldn't fear Australia next year.

McGuires try was a try, you have to extend the arm or momentum have been stopped. His arm was same position and he bounced over. 

I wonder if Australia start getting beaten more often (if they play) and NSW start winning every year whether it will have an impact on the significance of origin.

I agree with a fair amount of that but Ferguson is definitely not world class. T-Turbo is a much better player than him

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I agree with a fair amount of that but Ferguson is definitely not world class. T-Turbo is a much better player than him

Ferguson has looked world class in the last two origins and is probably the best winger in the NRL this season. TT is very good I agree and probably a better natural footballer, Fergo has had more impact at rep level at this point in his career though. TT was quiet in this game, Fergo was outstanding and won the game at the end with that run.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

8 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

That Qld try was a double movement all day long. My one complaint about the Aussie game is how they ignore rules or interpret them differently on a whim and sometimes chamge intereptation from one week to the next

How on earth can you class that try as double movement? That would be a try in Super League, NRL, Championship and North West Counties div 5.

momentum took him over and he made no advance with the ball carrying arm to get to the line. Very simple.

6 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Ferguson has looked world class in the last two origins and is probably the best winger in the NRL this season. TT is very good I agree and probably a better natural footballer, Fergo has had more impact at rep level at this point in his career though. TT was quiet in this game, Fergo was outstanding and won the game at the end with that run.

TTurbo was quiet but he had as much if not more to do at the end than Ferguson in the try that won the game. 

Ferguson is error prone, always has been. Yes he’s a good player and he’s been in good form for most of this year but his regular clangers preclude him from being in world class category. 

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

TTurbo was quiet but he had as much if not more to do at the end than Ferguson in the try that won the game. 

Ferguson is error prone, always has been. Yes he’s a good player and he’s been in good form for most of this year but his regular clangers preclude him from being in world class category. 

I’d take him before any English or Kiwi winger

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

36 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Bit hard for Cleary to make a tackle,he was sat in the stands.

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The decisions on field and in the bunker in that NZ Warriors game last week were up there with the worst officiating ive ever witnessed 

The Warriors and the Titans cop terrible decisions week after week. Maybe because they don`t have somebody like Cameron Smith who`s on the refs` backs all the time. 

So where are the next generation of Australian half backs and who do we think they are? As I said earlier, Maloney, Pearce and Cherry Evan's are an average age of 31 while Corey Norman has just made his Origin debut at 28. None of these are the future.

Munster is quality and can play half or full back while I still think Cleary is a quality player although he has not quite kicked into the absolutely top class player he can be yet.

I rate Luke Keary very highly so its not as if the cupboard is bare but I don't think the half back depth is anywhere close to what it used to be in Australia.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So where are the next generation of Austrian half backs and who do we think they are? As I said earlier, Maloney, Pearce and Cherry Evan's are an average age of 31 while Corey Norman has just made his Origin debut at 28. None of these are the future.

Munster is quality and can play half or full back while I still think Cleary is a quality player although he has not quite kicked into the absolutely top class player he can be yet.

I rate Luke Keary very highly so its not as if the cupboard is bare but I don't think the half back depth is anywhere close to what it used to be in Australia.

Is Austria in Queensland or New South Wales? 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

54 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Is Austria in Queensland or New South Wales? 

The perils of trying to type on your phone on a packed District Line train.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

So where are the next generation of Australian half backs and who do we think they are?

Maybe from one of these who are playing in the NRL this year:-

Mitchell Moses 24

Jake Clifford 21

Brodie Croft 21

Kyle Flanaghan 20

Sean O Sullivan 20

Tom Dearden 18

Jaeman Salmon 20

Archived