Netball World Cup

The World Rankings reads like a list of countries from the Days of Empire, more so than cricket or Rugby League. Like RL, there are really only 2 or 3 likely winners. However, they've got 16 teams in the competition and some will get thrashed but unlike RL I suspect there isn't a TotalNetball forum with people complaining about it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Copa said:

It’s a major sport in Australia. Is it getting much coverage in the UK?

It's always been a pretty minor sport here, but has had a very big increase in profile in the last couple of years, like other womens' sports. Both in terms of participation and amount of media coverage.

Anyone who's been to Liverpool recently would certainly know the event is happening (unlike e.g. RL's Magic Event.)

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Just started today.

Australia is currently all over Northern Ireland on free to air TV in Australia.

Winning the Commonwealth Games final against the world champions was a good boost for the sport in the UK. The BBC are covering this year's World Cup too, which is raising the profile.

But most Netball is shown on subscription channels, so the wider public normally only get to see it at the CW Games.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not really though it's growing I think

My little girls are starting it in the summer so I'm likely to be going to some of the Netball Super League games with them

It’s great that they can get along to the Netball Super League.

They can’t be what they can’t see... so it’s great they have strong athletic female role models to watch on the court.

21 hours ago, Copa said:

Just started today.

Australia is currently all over Northern Ireland on free to air TV in Australia.

Some. Not a huge amount - dwarfed by Wimbledon and the Cricket, as you'd expect - but more than previous World Cups. I suspect there will be more as and when the knock out games arrive.

Netball is hampered domestically - not in terms of participation which is rising - by the fact that its domestic league is a bit bobbins when compared to the Australia and New Zealand leagues. Far too many games (which are only on Sky, although often on the FTA channel no one knows about) are over well before even half time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Copa said:

It’s great that they can get along to the Netball Super League.

They can’t be what they can’t see... so it’s great they have strong athletic female role models to watch on the court.

Yep, really want my girls to get into a team sport - such a healthy great thing in every way.... Both due to start together in 2 weeks for a summer taster then weekly sessions in the new term with a local Luton team

Have recorded the first couple of World Cup games and we are all watching tonight to learn the rules together. 

I literally do not know the rules so will be great to get to know a new sport and get into it! 

4 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I always enjoyed it as a sport and resented the fact that boys weren't supposed to play after a certain age. 

I’m not sure how many options boys have in Australia either.

Some must continue to play though as I’ve read that some elite women’s teams in Australia play men’s teams to adjust to a more physical game. The women then bring that physical game to their pro competition.

• 2 weeks later...

And for the first time in 16 years ... New Zealand wins the title.

So, and it won't last, Australia are neither Commonwealth nor World champions.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I watched most of the final, and it was quite a finish. Well done to the NZ team.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived