Players who have improved after returning to NRL

Couple of players that came over here not having made any impact on the NRL/ARL were Russell Bawden and Danny Nutley. Both went on to have decent NRL careers. Bawden played SOO too.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Wendell Sailor, after he signed for Wigan. ? 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Going back a few years but a player that came over and went back a better player and had a huge impact in Australia was Gavin Miller.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

59 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sam Moa was awful for Hull went back to have a good season with the roosters 

That really surprised me. He wasn't awful for Hull, but wasn't memorable. At the Roosters, he was really good - he looked like a different player.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That really surprised me. He wasn't awful for Hull, but wasn't memorable. At the Roosters, he was really good - he looked like a different player.

I remember Sam Moa talking about how much he was grateful for the opportunity and how in awe of the players he was. Think he said he would have been happy to just play a couple of games or something like that. His attitude must have been better based on that mindset. 

Shows how important attitude is and the value of a coach who can positively influence this.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Seeing Corey Thompson really kick on and impress at full back for West Tigers has made me think, what other players have come over to Super League and gone back to the NRL as a better player?

Don't mean to be pedantic DoubleD but what you say here and the title of the thread are different. Here you say players who went back to Australia as better players but the title says went back to Australia and then became better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Allan Langer... he sealed an Origin series win after a stint at Warrington. ?

During a stint at Warrington!

All he needed was a little guidance from Lee Briers to become a legend.   When I say guidance, I’m referring to ON the field, not off it ?

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Don't mean to be pedantic DoubleD but what you say here and the title of the thread are different. Here you say players who went back to Australia as better players but the title says went back to Australia and then became better.

That certainly is pedantic, but I understand your point. I suppose it’s at what point you would consider that they got better. 

I suppose my intended question was, who ended up as a better player than either they were in their first stint in NRL or in SL, following their stint in SL.

Can we prove that SL is an attractive option as a stepping stone for aspiring NRL players, rather than those who have had their best years.

I think Moa, Hiku and Green are all good examples 

5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hiku

He was pretty good before his stint at Warrington.   He joined us when we were having a bad season and came in without the emotional baggage or pressure so played his natural game with confidence.   He looked like an international and since going back he’s slowly developing that just like expected.... but he certainly didn’t improve because of being over here (if that’s what the OP was meaning).

1 minute ago, Cheshire Setter said:

He was pretty good before his stint at Warrington.   He joined us when we were having a bad season and came in without the emotional baggage or pressure so played his natural game with confidence.   He looked like an international and since going back he’s slowly developing that just like expected.... but he certainly didn’t improve from being over here.

As I said, it’s very difficult to specify when and where a player has improved. Let’s just say he’s a better player for his stint over here.

He was a bit of a jack of all trades player but has now developed into a very good centre

Watching the game on right now, Iosia Soliola? Certainly not worse than when he went to St Helens, and possibly better. Mind you, he's an uncomplicated player.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

There were lots of players who played with Halifax during 84/85 and 85/86 seasons who went on to successfully play Winfield Cup, State of Origin and for Australia in a couple of cases: Martin Bella, Michael Hagan, Paul Langmack Joe Kilroy, Cavill Heugh

Leeds also had a large number of imports at that time mostly more experienced players but Tony Currie and Mark Laurie were two of the younger ones to push on further back in Aus?

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Watching the game on right now, Iosia Soliola? Certainly not worse than when he went to St Helens, and possibly better. Mind you, he's an uncomplicated player.

It's amazing how he has done since going to Canberra as he looked finished and way past it towards the end of his time at Saints.

On 13/07/2019 at 23:22, bobbruce said:

Sam Moa was awful for Hull went back to have a good season with the roosters 

Sam Moa was great at Hull. Started off average and improved every week. Was gutted when he left.

No idea where the awful impression has come from?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I’m starting to think that the NRL isn’t all that—- there’s some pretty ordinary players commanding first team spots that were average at best in Super League: Blake Green— Frank Winterstein—Tyrone Roberts- Dare I say Josh Hodgson- there’s probably more to add to this list. I do like watching the NRL but the last few games Izvestia watched I’ve left me feeling a little underwhelmed 

10 hours ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

I’m starting to think that the NRL isn’t all that—- there’s some pretty ordinary players commanding first team spots that were average at best in Super League: Blake Green— Frank Winterstein—Tyrone Roberts- Dare I say Josh Hodgson- there’s probably more to add to this list. I do like watching the NRL but the last few games Izvestia watched I’ve left me feeling a little underwhelmed 

Hodgson was not a return player was he? He is English, I do no rate him at all for what its worth.

Blake Green has never been  highly regarded in the NRL he is an average Clubman.

Roberts is a mediocre half that took the money and run from SL.

He can play if he is motivated...

Fringe players getting more money in England sums it all up....

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived